COMPLETE Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1846 - 1916).

This project is complete! All audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/potop-tom-1-by-henryk-sienkiewicz/

( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!):
    https://polona.pl/item/potop-t-1,ODk3NzI4OTg/
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    +++
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Potop. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Potop, by Henryk Sienkiewicz. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Potop, by Henryk Sienkiewicz. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename potop_##_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. potop_01_sienkiewicz_128kb.mp3)

• Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Welcome to Librivox, Jagoda! :clap:

That is quite a bold solo project! It's strongly recommended to start with something small, like a short story/poem for a collection, or a short chapter in a group project.

Here's the multilingual collection, if you'd like to record something in Polish: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=81582

There's also a group project of Potok, in English though, "The Deluge": viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65119
You'll notice, volume 2 has been running for more than 3 years!
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

Hi! Thanks for warm welcome. Maybe that's audacity from my side, but i belive i'll manage it sooner than in three years. It's my school lecture, so i need to read the WHOLE in a month (of course recording may take i bit longer ) and i would like to contribute to my classmates in that month, if not with everything than with some part of book. So i have really strong motivation, courage and hope (standart reading of "Potok" takes approximately 58h) so i would like to try and do my best.
It could work :mrgreen:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

True, that is a genuine motivation, but the issue now would be the text. The link you provide does not give any publication information. The text must be published before 1925 to be in the public domain for Librivox (for example, an online scanned book, with the copyright page of the book to prove publication date). Probably for your school lecture you'd be reading a modern publication. :?:
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

Sorry i don't know how to paste an image, but the publication date was in 1886 (you can confirm on wikipedia) , so it's perfectly legal to read it anywhere you want.
And even if i knew how to put here images i couldn't- i have that old version printed in 1984 when, as it seem, no one was intrested in copyright law. Seriously, there are two title pages (of books title), few names signifying people who were responsible for edition and at the back big sign "printed in Poland" and used type of paper.
But still it's 1886. If for some reason you don't trust Wikipedia i can find and you link you some other page.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I trust that it was first published in 1886. But any later edition might have changes, and each edition/publication holds its own copyrights. For Librivox, following USA laws, we can't use books published after 1925, so unfortunately your 1984 book can't be used either :(
There are scans online of the 1886 publication in 6 volumes, which you can use to record for Librivox.
(for example, volume V at https://books.google.com/books?id=JSv9y2jghngC )
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

https://wolnelektury.pl/katalog/lektura/potop/
So all books from that site are in the public domain ( i belive that is somewhere in the site policy) so can i read from that?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm sorry, it actually gives me this message when I click the link for the book source:
"Copyright protected item.
The digital version can be accessed in reading rooms of the National Library
and through the electronic interlibrary loan system Academica via dedicated terminals"

I suppose you can access it because it's your school lecture.

Or it's probably Public Domain for you because of the Polish copyright laws. (Author's death date +70 years)

But for Librivox we need proven publication information, and published more than 95 years ago.
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

Ooohhhh.
I didn't know, deeply sorry. Well, apparently it's not an international site. Alright then i'll read from that previous link you've send me.
Sorry once more for unnecessary disturbance.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

That's alright! I'm happy I was able to explain the need for a US public domain text.

I will set you up for volume 1 of 6, to begin with! The site you showed me uses texts from Polona.pl which has the original publication scanned. :thumbs: It has all six volumes easily accessible. Here's the link for volume 1: https://polona.pl/item/potop-powiesc-historyczna-t-1,NTgxODE1NjE/6/#info:metadata So I will enter this as book source, so please read from there. Thanks! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We have a Magic Window! :D

Normally the soloist is the Book Coordinator (keeping the Magic Window updated), but if you'd prefer, I can BC for you, at least at the beginning, so that you dedicate yourself at recording, as you have a school deadline. Either way you can have access to the Magic Window, by following the guide here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_.E2.80.93_First_Time_Login

Below I have pasted the Librivox disclaimer in Polish that you can use for intro and outro in your recordings.
START of recording (Intro)

"Rozdział [Nr][Tytuł], z książki "....". Nagranie LibriVox. Wszystkie nagrania Librivox należą do domeny publicznej. Więcej informacji o nagraniach lub wolontariacie - na stronie: librivox KROPKA org" Jeżeli chcesz, dodaj: "Czyta [Twoje imię]" Koniecznie dodaj: "[autor] [pauza] [tytuł]. Rozdział [Nr] [Tytuł rozdziału]" " [/i]

END of recording

At the end of the section, say: "Koniec rozdziału [Nr][Tytuł]:" Jeżeli chcesz, dodaj: "Czytał/a [Twoje imię], [miasto, Twój blog, podcast, adres www]" Na końcu książki dodatkowo powiedz: Koniec książki [autor] "[tytuł]".
So, if I understand it correctly (or correct me if not :D ), for the first section which is a Preface, you would say

- Wstęp z książki Potop. Nagranie LibriVox. Wszystkie nagrania Librivox należą do domeny publicznej. Więcej informacji o nagraniach lub wolontariacie - na stronie: librivox KROPKA org
[Optional: Czyta Jagoda (or whatever name you'd like to use as a catalogue name]
Henryka Sienkiewicza Potop, tom I, Wstęp

- Koniec wstępu [Optional: "Czytała Jagoda"]

Then for the rest:
- Rozdział #, z książki Potop, tom 1. Nagranie LibriVox. Wszystkie nagrania Librivox należą do domeny publicznej. Więcej informacji o nagraniach lub wolontariacie - na stronie: librivox KROPKA org"
[Optional: "Czyta Jagoda"]
Henryka Sienkiewicza Potop, tom I, Rozdział #

- Koniec Rozdziału # [Optional: "Czytała Jagoda"]

By the way, how would you like to be called in our Readers Catalogue (that is, what name will you be using for the recordings), will it be Jagoda, same as your forum name?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Cześć, Jagoda :)

I'm the book coordinator for the English translation of "Potop" and like you, I also read the original at school. Great to see more Polish-speaking volunteers :thumbs: While I absolutely wish you well with this project, I want to point out that reading the text is only a part of the effort involved. It is the post-production (cutting out mistakes and such) that takes most time. Just so you know :)

(I'm adding this thread to bookmarks)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

Yep, i've already started and recorded first chapter -sounds terryfiying, took me long enough and even with my best attempts to sound correctly i've made some mistakes while reading. I've decited to learn while reading and left that not-perfect version. I belive i'll master more fluent reading with time and following chapters will be much, much better. Yes postproduction is also a long lasting process (even with leaving some incorrections).
And i realised that i have to do the introduction. These names... ugh. That'll be fascinating to do.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We still need a proof-listener, in case you are offering Piotr :mrgreen: Otherwise I'll advertise for one when we have a couple of recordings in the Magic Window.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Jagoda wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 8:35 am Yep, i've already started and recorded first chapter -sounds terryfiying, took me long enough and even with my best attempts to sound correctly i've made some mistakes while reading. I've decited to learn while reading and left that not-perfect version. I belive i'll master more fluent reading with time and following chapters will be much, much better. Yes postproduction is also a long lasting process (even with leaving some incorrections).
And i realised that i have to do the introduction. These names... ugh. That'll be fascinating to do.
The beginning is always the hardest! As the ancients used to say "To start is to have gone half way" or something like that :D
Well done!

I will soon move us to "Going Solo" forum, but the link to the thread will still be the same, so you won't lose it.