[Complete]Coffee Break Collection #29 - DOGS - Lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Coffee Break Collection #29 -- DOGS, by Various Authors (Lt).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/coffee-break-collection-29-dogs-by-various/
This is the 29th Coffee Break Collection, in which Librivox readers select and read stories, fiction or non-fiction pieces of fifteen minutes' duration or less, suitable for short commutes and coffee breaks. The subject for this collection is "DOGS"... and the collection is full after 20 stories have been submitted.
  • There is no need to pre-claim.

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Where do I find the text? Any Public Domain text is acceptable. Project Gutenberg is a good place to start. Here are a few sources (contributed by Colleen and Bill)
    Pussy and Doggie Tales: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27190
    Victorian Pets: Dogs https://www.victorianvoices.net/topics/pets/dogs.shtml
    If you decide to read one of these stories, please claim it first and I'll list it in the MW, so nobody else records the same story.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening: standard (Note: if you are new to Proof Listening, please read the PL FAQ)

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
    Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( VARIOUS) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Single Author Collections

Keywords that describe the book: Short Stories, Dogs

============================================
[*]BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (INTRO)
"Title of story by author. Coffee Break Collection 29 - DOGS This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Title of story"

END of recording (OUTRO)
At the end of the section, say:
"End of: title"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
[There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
AFTER recording
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3:
cbc29_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. cbc29_mydog_mtf_128kb.mp3) (remember to ignore 'the', 'a' at the beginning of the title)
Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post in this thread:
  • The link from the uploader, followed by file length in mm:ss
    The title of the story
    The author of the story with birth and death dates if available. Translator's birth and death dates if applicable.
    Link to the online text.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

BC/DPL: msfry Michele Fry
MC: LynneT Lynne
Cover: msfry Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on January 10th, 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 10 times in total.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Cool topic!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set.
And Baxter and Marcie approve :mrgreen:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Jo (knotyouraveragejo) posted a link to a wonderful site of scans of Victorian-era magazine articles, all broken out by topic. There is a large section on Pets, including a subcategory on Dogs that people interested in this collection might want to take a look at:

https://www.victorianvoices.net/topics/pets/dogs.shtml

Of course not all of them will be short enough to fit in this collection, but there should be some fun ones!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

ColleenMc wrote: September 20th, 2020, 9:02 am Jo (knotyouraveragejo) posted a link to a wonderful site of scans of Victorian-era magazine articles, all broken out by topic. There is a large section on Pets, including a subcategory on Dogs that people interested in this collection might want to take a look at:

Of course not all of them will be short enough to fit in this collection, but there should be some fun ones!

Colleen

Colleen,
Thank you for sharing that link. I will look it over & probably choose 1 to record. 😃
April
msfry

Post by msfry »

ColleenMc wrote: September 20th, 2020, 9:02 am Jo (knotyouraveragejo) posted a link to a wonderful site of scans of Victorian-era magazine articles, all broken out by topic. There is a large section on Pets, including a subcategory on Dogs that people interested in this collection might want to take a look at:

Colleen
This illustrates the answer to an inquiry made on Saturday's 9/19 Zoom session about how to find material to record, that one literary discovery leads to another, ad infinitum. There is no shortage of material for us to explore and record in our lifetimes.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

msfry wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Colleen
This illustrates the answer to an inquiry made on Saturday's 9/19 Zoom session about how to find material to record, that one literary discovery leads to another, ad infinitum. There is no shortage of material for us to explore and record in our lifetimes.
No doubt Michele, that is why this is THE best addiction as there is ALWAYS material about. :clap:
April
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

msfry wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Colleen
Frack, I forgot the Zoom meetup. OMG I find so much stuff I want to record (or listen to someone else read to me!)
Internet Archive is a treasure but you have to limit the searches correctly....I tend to stick to American Libraries because if it’s “always available” it’s likely PD.

Magazines are a treasure trove. There are dozens on PG but the Magazine Rack and Pulp Archive collections on IA are where I spend way too much time. Just limit the dates to 1924 and prior so you don’t get excited about something and then notice that it was published in 1936....and double check because the “labor of love” archives on IA are just that and errors happen.

Another place I love to dig is the old New York Times. If you have a subscription you can run wild through their archives, and even if you don’t, they have an assortment of articles free for all. google “spiderbytes” and New York Times to find those pages of links.

As for books, my 3 favorite ways to find things via serendipity are:

1) going to the search feature on PG and clicking “Random” which brings up a page of 20-25 random works. Hitting the refresh brings another batch...and another....and another....

2) there are publisher catalogs on PG and sometimes it’s fun to go through them, then search for eye catching titles in PG and IA

3) look at the “also by this author” and publisher ad pages in the front and end of the books on PG and IA. This is especially helpful when looking at dime novels or other “throwaway” books of the era, tho it’s very hit and miss whether you will find an intriguing title.

I literally spend hours digging around, sometimes without ever settling into reading anything (but with 8 or 10 things to explore further downloaded to my tablet). I periodically post to the Suggestions board (and digging around in the older pages of that board is it’s own adventure!) just to sort of justify the time I’ve spent playing in archives....

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

msfry

Post by msfry »

Colleen, this fabulous post will soon get lost in this project. I recommend you copy and paste it in the Book Suggestions thread, or maybe Suggestions, or both, entitled something like "Where to find PD material to read". I am afraid to explore the links until I clear my plate of other projects, for I know what an adventure going down that rabbit hole is. :shock:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynne, what if I change this to Dogs and Cats? Or should I wait and do the next one on Cats? There are probably at least 20 good short stories on each, don't you think and I'm running into both at the same time? Maybe I could do both collections simultaneously?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: September 21st, 2020, 7:26 am Lynne, what if I change this to Dogs and Cats? Or should I wait and do the next one on Cats? There are probably at least 20 good short stories on each, don't you think and I'm running into both at the same time? Maybe I could do both collections simultaneously?
Your choice... I think you could safely have 2 separate collections, although you may have some crossover (e.g. "The dog and cat who were best friends"... I just made that one up, so don't go looking for it :lol: )
As for running them simultaneously, again, up to you. I can set a second one up if you were happy to do the extra work :mrgreen: And you'd be running the risk of #30 being catalogued before #29... but I could live with that if you could.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

msfry wrote: September 21st, 2020, 6:51 am Colleen, this fabulous post will soon get lost in this project. I recommend you copy and paste it in the Book Suggestions thread, or maybe Suggestions, or both, entitled something like "Where to find PD material to read". I am afraid to explore the links until I clear my plate of other projects, for I know what an adventure going down that rabbit hole is. :shock:
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought about that after I posted this and I will copy and paste it as its own thread either in suggestions or in the general discussion that was a good idea thank you

Edited to add: I pasted most of my response here to a new thread on the “Need Help/Got Advice” board under heading “Finding Material to Record”

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Yes I'm still procrastinating in the Internet Archive...and I found this gem, which is chock full of potential pieces for this collection:

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.221029/page/n9/mode/2up

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

From The Jaws of a Wolf
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_fromthejaws_wj_128kb.mp3 09:20

No, author specified, appeared page 359 of "Chums".
Story found at: Chums95-Dog.pdf
Journal: VictoriamVoice.net
Section: Victorian Pets: Dogs
Subsection: True Tales of Man's Best Friend

I searched Google, Gutenberg and IA for the title and for chums95 - all with no luck.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 5:50 pm Uploaded

From The Jaws of a Wolf
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc29_fromthejaws_wj_128kb.mp3 09:20

No, author specified, appeared page 359 of "Chums".
Story found at: Chums95-Dog.pdf
Journal: VictoriamVoice.net
Section: Victorian Pets: Dogs
Subsection: True Tales of Man's Best Friend

I searched Google, Gutenberg and IA for the title and for chums95 - all with no luck.
This story came from Colleen's suggested Victorian link above, and the story is here: https://www.victorianvoices.net/ARTICLES/MISC/Chums/Chums95-Dog.pdf
I don't see an author listed either, so I guess we just say published in Victorian Voice