Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for September, thanks for your many suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current list. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers!

This year, let's go on another world tour, which means, I'm looking for books written by authors of the respective continents / places or books and stories set there. All languages welcome!

And we keep on moving east and take a look at

Asia

That means I'd like to have suggestions about all countries of Asia, of which there are too many to list... Extra big bonus points and a free audiobook for the person who finds the most obscure country reference! (And yes, sorry, Russian Cossacks are out. Mongols perhaps? :wink:)

Just as before, I would prefer books written by authors from these parts, bonus points for non-English books!

Especially welcome are suggestions of plays and poetry.

All languages welcome!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:23 am (And yes, sorry, Russian Cossacks are out. Mongols perhaps? :wink:)
:lol: :lol: Hey now, I really thought I had it this last time!

Well, how about a humorous dramatic reading of a comic operetta, ostensibly set in Japan?

The Mikado: https://librivox.org/the-mikado-by-w-s-gilbert-2/
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, it was perfectly fine from the setting in Russia/Ukraine. But we're moving on now and Russia doesn't count any longer.

The Mikado, well... since I've already picked the Noh Plays of Japan... :hmm: Let's see what else comes in :lol:

I did notice recently however, that we don't have the Kamasutra (for India). Or is that because it's more about the pictures?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Travels of Marco Polo have probably already been covered somewhere, but in case they weren't viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50337&hilit=Marco+Polo
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

We do have the Kama Sutra (two words, not one!): https://librivox.org/the-kama-sutra-by-mallanaga-vatsyayana/

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, that's why I couldn't find it! :clap:

well, downloading. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

How about that one about Kublai Khan which begins, “in Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure-dome decreed...” More for a dreams collection, but oh well.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

A look at Eastern religions: Hinduism and Buddhism: An Historical Sketch Volume 1 https://librivox.org/hinduism-and-buddhism-an-historical-sketch-vol-1-by-charles-eliot/
Volumes 2 and 3 are ongoing, but I doubt they'll make the catalog this century :roll:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

We have the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam in an impressive array of translations and languages, including a bilingual version featuring the original Persian (the only audio version of it, AFAIK, and our only book-length Persian recording).

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

KevinS wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:00 am Remarkable fiction from India: https://librivox.org/stories-from-tagore-by-rabindranath-tagore/
And he won a Nobel Prize for literature too.

Anne
There is this https://librivox.org/tagalog-short-works-vol-1-by-various/ if the Philippines count ?
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for October, thanks for your suggestions! Please have a look at this page for the current list. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers!

This year, let's go on another world tour, which means, I'm looking for books written by authors of the respective continents / places or books and stories set there. All languages welcome!

In November, we have encircled the globe once and arrive back home - for LibriVox that is - at

North America

With only Mexico, the US and Canada left, I'm sure there are plenty of books to choose from! Nominate your favourite, again, preferably books written by authors from these parts. Not sure whether to ask for books in foreign languages this time... :lol: But then again, if we have any translations of books by US authors into... Urdu, what do I know... I want to hear about them too!

All languages welcome!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

For poetry, id recommend anything by bliss carman
https://librivox.org/author/723 :)
Carolin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for November, sorry Carolin, the poetry entry was filled very early this time! Please have a look at this page for the current list. You can also check out our wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers!

We're kinda done with the world tour 2020, having visited each and every continent (If not every country, but we're getting there! :thumbs: )
However, it's time to look at the world as a whole this December, so the theme this month is

Coming Together

If there's nothing else we should take home from 2020 is that we're all in the same boat, quite literally.
I'd like to see suggestions about anything that gives off vibes of "I am not alone in this".

As always: All languages welcome!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com