Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Is it the motor that you killed, or the needle? Did you use a heavy-gauge needle like a 16? (I don't know much about sewing -- I'm just pretending that I do.)
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I did use a heavier needle, and heavier thread. I think it may have been the thread that was too much for it. Towards the end, the needle kept getting stuck inside the fabric, and when I was able to cut it loose, I found that there were somehow lots of bits of thread stuck underneath the plate that I had to get out. I'm hoping I got them all, but still haven't tested it.
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

I'm a knitter as well as a crocheter, and I'm making my first pair of socks. :) I also like to embroider. :)
linny

Post by linny »

It's been a rather challenging week. I've needed something easy to keep me occupied so I picked a little teapot cozy pattern. I know it's silly given the easy warming capability of the microwave but I couldn't resist this cute little project. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RQI-AdyuVsfAJY8_hYAvK2gLX8nZE2xf/view?usp=sharing
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Aw, I can't see it, requires access.

I was wondering, do these teapot cozies really work? how much longer do they keep the tea warm? :?: :?:

I recently broke the handle of my teapot, so I thought of making a cozy to be able to hold it and pour :mrgreen:
linny

Post by linny »

Oh goodness. I almost always get the access link wrong. :roll: It's updated now.

It tends to keep mine warmer for about the length of one additional cup. I'm a slow drinker though.
Rapunzelina wrote: September 26th, 2020, 5:34 am I recently broke the handle of my teapot, so I thought of making a cozy to be able to hold it and pour :mrgreen:
That would be dangerous for me. I'm certain to hurt myself. I'm clumsy on a good day and generally have multiple bruises.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm clumsy and prone to getting hurt, too! That's how I broke the handle of the teapot in the first place :lol:

Thank you for the link! It looks so cute! The colours go well together! What kind of tea do you have in the picture?
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I think that tea cozies are much ... cozier than microwaves. I always have a few in my Ravelry queue. There's one that looks like a Hobbit's house, and an owl, and a beehive. :)

I have a large Stangl teapot that I rarely use, and a small "Brown Betty" that I got from Amazon.

When I get stressed, and am feeling six months into a pandemic with no end in sight and political horror everywhere, I usually go up and pick a new project. Even if I don't start it right then, it speaks of peace and internal calm and continuity of life. As a matter of fact, I just did it a half hour ago -- I looked at the Knit Picks Palette in Fall colors and started planning a fairisle vest for my younger son.
linny

Post by linny »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 26th, 2020, 6:10 am I'm clumsy and prone to getting hurt, too! That's how I broke the handle of the teapot in the first place :lol:

Thank you for the link! It looks so cute! The colours go well together! What kind of tea do you have in the picture?
That tea is lovely. It has high caffeine so I can't have it but I took a little taste to try it. The tea company I use has daily samples. :mrgreen: It's a Pu-erh blend with cinnamon and is delightful. My husband liked it so much he asked me to purchase a bag.
linny

Post by linny »

Nedge wrote: September 26th, 2020, 6:19 am I always have a few in my Ravelry queue.

When I get stressed, and am feeling six months into a pandemic with no end in sight and political horror everywhere
Nan,
I haven't looked at Ravelry. I've heard of it but haven't gotten there.

I can appreciate your stress! 2020 has certainly been a year like no other. I hate to wish my life away but I have to admit I'm looking forward to it being over. Hang in there. I use PLing children's stories as a stress reliever. :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ravelry is a wonderful resource. I used to participate in a lot of the forums there, but of course, now I have you all. :mrgreen: I haven't entered any of my projects there in ages, either, but I do use it to find patterns and research yarn. It's my go-to for that.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Before I had actual jobs out of the home, years ago, I was way too active on the boards -- chat boards, yarn swapping, all sorts of things. WAY too much time spent, with ensuing drama and money spent sending yarn to other places. I gave up my user name and got a new one, and I have no friends (well, maybe one or two.) I use Rav only to store my stash and look at patterns. I don't even have my projects in there, and I rarely have a queue.

I like to look at my yarn (a number of large skeins of tweed worsted I got at A C Moore when they closed) and then check out the projects for, say, a blanket using that yarn. It's a wealth of ideas and inspiration.
StarFire

Post by StarFire »

Oh I had completely forgotten about this thread! Since I was last on here I've picked up crocheting! I usually make small stuffed animals (amigurumi's) but am currently working on a shawl for my grandmother
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

StarFire wrote: October 14th, 2020, 5:06 pm Oh I had completely forgotten about this thread! Since I was last on here I've picked up crocheting! I usually make small stuffed animals (amigurumi's) but am currently working on a shawl for my grandmother
Stuffed animals are my favorite things to make as baby gifts. I'm nearly finished with this one: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-humpback-whale
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The 1000 unique beanies challenge: https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/6960526/knitting-nelda-makes-1000-beanies-for-operation-christmas-child/?cs=13425

Chris

P.S. While on oxygen too, by the looks of it.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox