COMPLETE[PLAY]Purgatory of St. Patrick by Calderón - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Purgatory of St. Patrick by Pedro Calderón de la Barca (1600 - 1681). Translated by Denis Florence MacCarthy (1817 - 1882)

This is a "mystical drama founded on the lives of Saints. Mr. Ticknor prefers it to the more celebrated 'Devotion of the Cross,' and says that it 'is commonly ranked among the best religious plays of the Spanish theatre in the seventeenth century.' In all that relates to the famous cave known through the middle ages as the 'Purgatory of Saint Patrick', as well as the Story of Luis Enius — the Owain Miles of Ancient English poetry."
( The Translator)
  • This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-purgatory-of-st-patrick-by-pedro-calderon-de-la-barca/

Here is another Calderon. Gender neutral casting.

Kitty will take some time out from her mail order four leaf clover business to be our wonderful DPL.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6371
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: uIYKzu1o
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Pedro Calderón de la Barca) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/_Pedro_Calderón_de_la_Barca
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 41
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1650
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: saints

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Purgatory of St. Patrick by Pedro Calderón de la Barca. Translated by Denis Florence MacCarthy. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. In addition, at end of Act 3 add: End of The Purgatory of St. Patrick by Pedro Calderón de la Barca. Translated by Denis Florence MacCarthy.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        purgatoryofstpatrick_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I put in an early request for the King?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you, your highness.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

claiming Lucy and DPL please. Although the bad angel is tempting of course, but rather short :lol: I think I'll have fun with being a peasant's wife (probably very buxom)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I had thought about being the Good Angel but decided I could not compete with your new angel smilie.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Philip please 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Todd and Sonia
If you carry on like this many more times you may have to get married 😺
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I had thought about being the Good Angel but decided I could not compete with your new angel smilie.
you're right, you would not have stood a chance. :mrgreen:
alanmapstone wrote:Todd and Sonia
If you carry on like this many more times you may have to get married 😺
:lol: seeing Todd's on-stage experiences with me as his diverse wives, I think he is more than relieved it's not happening in real life.

And I'll sign you up for Philip, thanks, Alan. :)

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, Todd, if you think I can compete with Sonia's angel smilies, then I'll play the good angel here.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:11 am Well, Todd, if you think I can compete with Sonia's angel smilies, then I'll play the good angel here.
this is what you are up against:

now practice :mrgreen:

thanks for bringing your angelic performance to this play, Devorah :)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Philip act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_philip_1.mp3

Not sure what to make of this character, he is called a prince but also captain of a pirate ship :hmm: I suppose in those days he could have been both.
Alan
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mokana501

Post by mokana501 »

I'd like to voice Polonia!

~Morgan
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hello, I’d like to claim Lesbia. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mokana501 wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 10:25 pm I'd like to voice Polonia!

~Morgan
Welcome to Librivox. I recommend that you take the 1 minute test so we can verify that your equipment produced files we can use before you start a longer recording.

Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

Some brief directions. The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Lillian Wendale, by the villian still pursued, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be - doesn't have to be the same as your forum name - for example, I drop the HW and just say "Read by Todd" )

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 5-10 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd