[group] Soap Bubble Stories by Fanny Barry - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

sperego wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:44 am here it si
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_09_128kb.mp3 (13 min) Thanks !
Sperego,
Welcome to LibriVox! What a pleasure to listen to you read. Unfortunately, you recorded the wrong section. You recorded Chapter 9 of Uncle Volodia, the 8th story in the book. You should have recorded the 9th story in the book, which is called The Angel and the Lilies. It is right below Chapter 9 of Uncle Volodia in the Gutenberg version of the book. Normally, I would tell you to read the other chapters of the 8th story so that we could still use your recording, but someone else already claimed, recorded, and uploaded the 8th story. I am so sorry for the misunderstanding! Do you still want to record The Angel and the Lilies?
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm Perfect, Andrew! My only PL note is that the volume is too quiet at 85.3 dB. To adjust the volume in Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +3.7 dB. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.

Please re-upload for spot PL when you are ready. Thanks so much.
Thank you! Here's the updated version. Unfortunately I wasn't able to amplify exactly as requested (likely due to some spikes), but I tried to work on a couple of those individually plus ran it through compressor - didn't quite manage to hit 89 dB, but Checker says it should now be within the LV acceptable range at 91.2 dB.

Thanks again - always happy to fiddle around more if need be :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_10_barry_128kb.mp3
Time Unchanged - 5:15
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

OooThatsNifty wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:34 pm
cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm Perfect, Andrew! My only PL note is that the volume is too quiet at 85.3 dB. To adjust the volume in Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +3.7 dB. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.

Please re-upload for spot PL when you are ready. Thanks so much.
Thank you! Here's the updated version. Unfortunately I wasn't able to amplify exactly as requested (likely due to some spikes), but I tried to work on a couple of those individually plus ran it through compressor - didn't quite manage to hit 89 dB, but Checker says it should now be within the LV acceptable range at 91.2 dB.

Thanks again - always happy to fiddle around more if need be :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_10_barry_128kb.mp3
Time Unchanged - 5:15
91.2 dB is actually on the high end of our range (as the PL, I usually accept 87-91 dB unless the BC requests otherwise). So your section is perfect! Thanks!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

weezer wrote: September 10th, 2020, 11:57 am https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubbles_11_barry_128kb.mp3
duration: 9:19
Thanks. Weezer
Weezer,
I LOVE your voice! I can't wait to listen to the longer section you submitted... Section 11 is PL OK.
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Pianolil wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:46 pm Thank you! Here is Chapter 2 edited.

Duration: 13:11 https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_02_barry_edited_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Lily. Section 2 is now PL OK. Please keep in mind for future projects that the file name does not change when you upload a section for spot PL. The file name should always match the format found in the first post. The edited file takes on the original file's link, but the original file can still be found in the index of the uploader if needed.
oh, would you like me to change it?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Pianolil wrote: September 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm
cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Pianolil wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:46 pm Thank you! Here is Chapter 2 edited.

Duration: 13:11 https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_02_barry_edited_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Lily. Section 2 is now PL OK. Please keep in mind for future projects that the file name does not change when you upload a section for spot PL. The file name should always match the format found in the first post. The edited file takes on the original file's link, but the original file can still be found in the index of the uploader if needed.
oh, would you like me to change it?
I would appreciate that. Use the exact same file name except omit the edited. i.e.
philchenevert/soapbubblestories_02_barry_128kb.mp3 this will keep the files in proper order and stuff like that.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm 91.2 dB is actually on the high end of our range (as the PL, I usually accept 87-91 dB unless the BC requests otherwise). So your section is perfect! Thanks!
Understood - I had 92 dB in my head as the high-end cut off, for some reason. I appreciate the PL OK, but if it's preferable I really don't mind playing around with it a bit further. Thanks again! :D
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

OooThatsNifty wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:56 pm
cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm 91.2 dB is actually on the high end of our range (as the PL, I usually accept 87-91 dB unless the BC requests otherwise). So your section is perfect! Thanks!
Understood - I had 92 dB in my head as the high-end cut off, for some reason. I appreciate the PL OK, but if it's preferable I really don't mind playing around with it a bit further. Thanks again! :D
Nope, it’s all good! That is probably because some proof listeners DO take 92 dB as the upper limit. It depends on who you ask and what LibriVox wiki page you read. I tend to be more strict in group projects because there are so many readers and it is annoying for the listener to be constantly adjusting the volume based on who is reading. Sometimes I will take 92 dB for solo projects if the dB level is consistent between files because that won’t bother the listener.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Nope, it’s all good! That is probably because some proof listeners DO take 92 dB as the upper limit. It depends on who you ask and what LibriVox wiki page you read. I tend to be more strict in group projects because there are so many readers and it is annoying for the listener to be constantly adjusting the volume based on who is reading. Sometimes I will take 92 dB for solo projects if the dB level is consistent between files because that won’t bother the listener.
I accept 86 to 92. Which means (in my mind) 86.0 to 92.0. Not sure why but it works for me. And you have a valid point about group projects not jumping around in volume, that can be really annoying and your limits are fine with many BCs. I can tell you that in validation we magical MCs have a way of adjusting volume; not much but just enough to smooth things out a bit. If a project has volumes from 86 to 92 I lift the lower ones a bit and bring down the high ones a tad. The amazing thing is that we can produce a product which is fairly consistent from so many people all over the world. Let's give ourselves a big hand, eh? :clap:
sperego

Post by sperego »

cadastra wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:27 pm
sperego wrote: September 10th, 2020, 9:44 am here it si
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/soapbubblestories_09_128kb.mp3 (13 min) Thanks !
Sperego,
Welcome to LibriVox! What a pleasure to listen to you read. Unfortunately, you recorded the wrong section. You recorded Chapter 9 of Uncle Volodia, the 8th story in the book. You should have recorded the 9th story in the book, which is called The Angel and the Lilies. It is right below Chapter 9 of Uncle Volodia in the Gutenberg version of the book. Normally, I would tell you to read the other chapters of the 8th story so that we could still use your recording, but someone else already claimed, recorded, and uploaded the 8th story. I am so sorry for the misunderstanding! Do you still want to record The Angel and the Lilies?
Hi, I recorded both , the Uncle Volodia and The Angel and the Lilies; it was in the second part of the recording. I can record again only that part. Then, could you please assign me some other chapter? thx!
sperego

Post by sperego »

vendres

Post by vendres »

Hi, may I claim section 4, A Story of Siena?
Thank you,
Roni Endres
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thank you. I will put this into the magic window for proof listening. :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

vendres wrote: September 14th, 2020, 7:55 am Hi, may I claim section 4, A Story of Siena?
Thank you,
Roni Endres
Welcome Roni. I have assigned that section to you but before you record it please wait for feedback on your 1 minute test to be sure all y our technical specs are right. I just commented on your test and asked you to remove the zip.

Also, how would you like to be credited in our catalog? what name? Many of us use our real names but it is completely up to you. just let me know.
sperego

Post by sperego »

Ma I claim section "Dame Fossie's China Dog." ? thx!