33 PL OK.

Does sound magical.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Here is Section 34.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_34_banks_128kb.mp3
40:29.7, 89.3 dB

There is a table of words translated into Northern, Southern and Tahitian Maori. It may contain errors, particularly repetitions -- as I proof-listened I found myself to have misread the Table in places as I was reading it and had to make corrections, so I hope I found everything. One thing that I did with that Table was only read the "word" column heading for the first row of the Table and not for the rest which were all English words anyway. I did read the other column headings "Northern", "Southern", Otahite" before their respective words.... The other thing that I did was not read an entry that was blank "---" (instead of for example reading "Southern, blank"). This was particularly the case for Southern Maori words where many of the entries were missing.

And if you are wondering why the Section is relatively long, I kept reading and went past the separator for parts III and IV without knowing.

David and Anne, I hope that you are keeping well -- in Chicago and Melbourne.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

34 PL OK.

Didn't notice any repetitions and found the section quite interesting. The hottest summer ever is finally turning cooler!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

Section 35 has been uploaded for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_35_banks_128kb.mp3
11:45.4, 89.9 dB

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The titles in the MW seem to have a numbering error starting with this section (36?).
11:13 There are repeats in the outro.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:25 pm 35
The titles in the MW seem to have a numbering error starting with this section (36?).
11:13 There are repeats in the outro.
Hi -

Thank you for spotting those. Intro after Outro.... It should be cleaned up now I hope.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_35_banks_128kb.mp3
11:22.6 now

I also fixed the Section numbers in the MW.

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

35 PL OK!

Was there a naturalist aboard this ship?
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: September 14th, 2020, 6:32 am 35 PL OK!

Was there a naturalist aboard this ship?
Banks and Solander
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I had a smile today - I was reading a comment from the PLer in a project you read for and he described your accent as "Southern" and I thought to myself that unless some penguins sign on as readers, you are probably the most southern reader we have :D.

Anne
I've just checked what is the southernmost country as I wasn't sure if the southern tip of South America was further south than NZ - and discovered Australia is :oops: - it must be Macquarie Island ? - New Zealand next, then Argentina and Chile
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Section 36 is ready for listening, please.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_36_banks_128kb.mp3
19:00.3, 89.9 dB

They arrive in Australia, and as much as they hate having their stuff taken, they have taken the fishing spears away from the coastal people. More blummin' sense of entitlement. Our roots of entitlement run deep. Grrrr.

And Anne --
annise wrote: September 15th, 2020, 1:03 am I had a smile today - I was reading a comment from the PLer in a project you read for and he described your accent as "Southern" and I thought to myself that unless some penguins sign on as readers, you are probably the most southern reader we have :D.

Anne
I've just checked what is the southernmost country as I wasn't sure if the southern tip of South America was further south than NZ - and discovered Australia is :oops: - it must be Macquarie Island ? - New Zealand next, then Argentina and Chile
You would have to check with David about my accent. It should be midwestern American tinged with 37 years of living in NZ, but someone may hear a "Southern" (US) twang. So, it won't be the pure "Southern" New Zealand accent. Since I've lived in NZ for such a long time I've been accused of having all sorts of accents -- once even Irish! (???) Maybe Librivox could get someone to record from Antarctica?

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

36 PL OK!
They arrive in Australia, and as much as they hate having their stuff taken, they have taken the fishing spears away from the coastal people. More blummin' sense of entitlement. Our roots of entitlement run deep. Grrrr.
Double Grrrr. So true.

I never knew I had a NY accent until I moved to the Midwest. Midwesterners to me have little or no accent. Gail, (if limited to the US) I would have guessed Midwest. The west coast would have been my second choice.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Just watched an episode of "New Tricks" [S3E3] in which a book, The Home of the Blizzard [BEING THE STORY OF THE AUSTRALASIAN ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION, 1911-1914], provided the clue as to who done it. Sadly not PD in death+70 countries.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6137/
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again
craigdav1 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 5:49 pm Just watched an episode of "New Tricks" [S3E3] in which a book, The Home of the Blizzard [BEING THE STORY OF THE AUSTRALASIAN ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION, 1911-1914], provided the clue as to who done it. Sadly not PD in death+70 countries.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6137/
New Tricks!! S3 would have been quite a while ago -- we enjoyed watching New Tricks when it was on here. NZ isn't a +70 country yet -- not sure about Australia. Is the US life +70?

On the topic of this thread -- Section 37 has been uploaded for PLing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_37_banks_128kb.mp3
17:44.5, 88.6 dB

In this they pass Moreton Bay, the Glasshouse Mountains and Fraser Island. However, they don't seem to have discovered Moreton Bay Bugs (yum!) unless they or similar were among the shellfish that Cook et al. helped themselves to after scaring off the indigenous people -- more loss them!

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Gail :mask:
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Australia changed about 15 years ago - part of a trade deal with the USA :twisted: but it wasn't backdated. I think it was more to do with other things than books.

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

37 PL OK.

bugs....yum....?

Copyright here is publication year+95. Usually PD sooner that life+70. Maybe closer to life+50. New Tricks has only recently become available streaming here so it's new to us.