A Zoom Brown Bag Program : Geneva Nurses' Christmas Letters (1928-1947)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Here's a link to the recorded program on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRV5HR3tpFs&feature=youtu.be

This Zoom took place Sept 8th at the Geneva (Illinois) History Museum. I gave a PowerPoint talk. The museum is closed due to Covid, which is why they presented my talk live via Zoom.

It goes without saying, this is a new thing for me. My talk is based on a cache of Christmas letters I discovered while volunteering as a cataloger at the museum. There were 77 nurses who graduated from our local hospital's training program between 1911 and 1935. They kept up a group newsletter from 1928 to 1947. One of these nurses was chief nurse at Pearl Harbor; another joined the horseback riding midwives of the Frontier Nursing Service in Kentucky in the 1930's. Some were farmer's wives. All in all, their Christmas letters made for interesting human interest stories and women's history.
Last edited by Sue Anderson on October 29th, 2020, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to it.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Mary!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll try to 'attend,' too!

Aside: "Matron, please reschedule my nap for that day. And may I have my Boost, please?"
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks Kevin!
linny

Post by linny »

Sue,
That looks extremely interesting. What a great find! You must have been so excited to realize what you had discovered. :9:
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Enjoyable program. Thanks for putting it together and giving such a nice presentation. 👍
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Mary, Thank you very much for tuning in! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I get a 404 - page not found error with the link above.
Is there a new one?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Availle wrote: September 9th, 2020, 8:20 am I get a 404 - page not found error with the link above.
Is there a new one?
Aah.... Availle, I can assure you that (per the 404 page) "attackers" are NOT trying to steal your information from the www.genevahistorymuseum.org! :hmm: The link above was an invitation to a Zoom, which took place yesterday. The museum recorded my presentation, and they will be posting it on their website for free download, so when the link is up, I'll post it here in this thread.

Edit: I think there may be something wrong with the museum's security certificate?? I'll call them on the phone to check. (10:45 CST)
Edit: The museum admin knows they've got a problem & are working on it. The joys of being a small nonprofit! :(
Last edited by Sue Anderson on September 9th, 2020, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm sorry I was unable to join in to listen. I'll look forward to your post as to when the museum will be placing your talk online.
linny

Post by linny »

I'm so glad you will be posting the link. I just checked and didn't see it posted yet. If they list it as a brown bag program I believe I read a donation is required. :(
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

linny wrote: September 12th, 2020, 12:14 pm I'm so glad you will be posting the link. I just checked and didn't see it posted yet. If they list it as a brown bag program I believe I read a donation is required. :(
Thanks for your enthusiasm, Linny! :) What I've been told, the museum, a non-profit, is NOT expecting you to join or make a contribution to listen to any virtual brown bags posted on their website that were presented while the museum was closed. Pre-Covid, the brown bags were held in person, a sort of communal lunchroom affair, and the museum charged a whopping $3 to attend and provided soup. coffee, and cookies to tide you through the lecture; pre-Covid the museum also expected you to be a member to download old programs. But that was then. So the download should be free! If for any reason, the museum changes it's mind on the matter of remuneration, I will not post a link; I'm not in the business of fund raising.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Sue. I’m looking forward to seeing the presentation. :9:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Here is the link to the program on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRV5HR3tpFs&feature=youtu.be