COMPLETE Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems by Alfred Castner King - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems by Alfred Castner King (1873 - 1941).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue https://librivox.org/mountain-idylls-and-other-poems-by-alfred-castner-king/
From the preface: "The author of this unpretentious volume has long questioned the advisability of adding a book to our already inflated and overloaded literature, unless it should contain something in the nature of a deviation from beaten literary paths.

Whether the reading public will regard this as such or not is a question for the future to determine, as every book is a creature of circumstance, and at the date of its publication an algebraic unknown quantity.

It was not the original intention of the author to publish any of his effusions in collective form until more mature years and riper judgment should better qualify him for the task of composition, and should enable him to still further pursue the important studies of etymology, rhetoric, Latin and Greek, and complete the education which youthful environment denied.

On the 17th of March, A.D. 1900, occurred an accident in the form of a premature mining explosion which banished the light of the Colorado sun from his eyes forever, adding the almost insurmountable barrier of total and hopeless blindness to those of limited means and insufficient education. At first further effort seemed useless, but as time meliorates in some degree even the most deplorable and distressing physical conditions, ambition slowly rallied, and while lying for several months a patient in various hospitals in an ineffectual attempt to regain even partial sight, the following ideas and efforts of past years were gradually recalled from the recesses of memory, and reduced to their present form, in which, with no small hesitation and misgiving, they are presented to the consideration of the reading public, which in the humble opinion of the author has frequently failed to receive and appreciate productions of vastly superior merit."
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13809
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Poetry/Lyric

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, nature, hardship

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "[Poem title], by Alfred Castner King. Read for Librivox Dot Org by [Your Name]"
      • If you chose not to include your name, simply read "[Poem title], by Alfred Castner King. Read for Librivox Dot Org"

A Note Regarding Footnotes

For this project, please do not read footnotes related to pronunciation, but please do read footnotes which provide extra information. Specifically, the only footnotes to be read are the following: Footnote A in Section 1, Footnote D in Section 13, and Footnote F in Section 57. If unclear how to approach this, please post in the thread prior to recording.

A Note Regarding Image Captions

For this project, please do not read any image captions.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems, by Alfred Castner King."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      mountainidylls_##_king_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mountainidylls_01_king_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore ID tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by OooThatsNifty on November 13th, 2020, 12:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

A couple of notes:

- I adapted some of the recording instructions from a recently completed group poetry project rather than using exactly what was provided by the generator. I also added notes regarding footnotes & captions. If anything is unclear or appears in error, let me know and I'll fix it right away.

- I'd absolutely love to have a DPL on board for this one, but I understand that there's already a bit of a PL backlog right now. More than happy to tackle the PL work on this project myself for now if need be.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

reyeball

Post by reyeball »

Does this project still need a DPL? I would be happy to do it.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Were you waiting for me to add the author in the database? :mrgreen:

Let me set this up with a Magic Window. Back soon!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is ready for you to populate. Since there's a preface, I would like to see (hear!) the full librivox intro and disclaimer in that section, since it's the first section of the project as well.
  • "Preface of Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems by Alfred Castner King. Preface"
What do you think? The short disclaimer is fine for the rest of the poem sections, but please include a reference to Librivox, like in the Poetry Collection: "[Poem title], by Alfred Castner King, read for LibriVox dot org (optional: by [your name])"
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 31st, 2020, 3:13 pm Were you waiting for me to add the author in the database? :mrgreen:
I'll plead the fifth :wink:
Rapunzelina wrote: August 31st, 2020, 3:34 pm Magic Window is ready for you to populate. Since there's a preface, I would like to see (hear!) the full librivox intro and disclaimer in that section, since it's the first section of the project as well.
  • "Preface of Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
  • Say:
    "Mountain Idylls, and Other Poems by Alfred Castner King. Preface"
What do you think? The short disclaimer is fine for the rest of the poem sections, but please include a reference to Librivox, like in the Poetry Collection: "[Poem title], by Alfred Castner King, read for LibriVox dot org (optional: by [your name])"
Sounds perfect to me. I was planning to record the Preface myself anyway (and also to tack the dedication onto that section) so I'll make sure that I use the full intro & disclaimer. Otherwise I've updated the first post to include a Librivox reference for each poem.

Thanks for setting up the MW - I'll get to work on filling it out! :D

reyeball wrote: August 31st, 2020, 1:09 pm Does this project still need a DPL? I would be happy to do it.
That would be lovely! Welcome aboard! I haven't personally done much PL-ing yet, but where most of these poems are quite short & manageable, feel free to let me know if you need an assist and I'd be happy to cover a few as well.
Last edited by OooThatsNifty on August 31st, 2020, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Just to get this started may I claim 12 15 20 45?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm Just to get this started may I claim 12 15 20 45?
All yours! Thanks Alan!

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I would like to add 3 14 50 51.

A very interesting set of poems, but that will do for now 😺
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

An excellent take-off! I am moving us to Readers Wanted!

Have fun, everybody!
ellies

Post by ellies »

Hi, may I please claim 50-57!
these poems look great!
thanks
ellies
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Elaine Conway 2018
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 3 - To the Pines

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/mountainidylls_03_king_128kb.mp3
0:43

Just to get the ball rolling :D
Alan
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:18 pm I would like to add 3 14 50 51.
A very interesting set of poems, but that will do for now 😺
alanmapstone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:08 am Section 3 - To the Pines
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/mountainidylls_03_king_128kb.mp3
0:43
Just to get the ball rolling :D
Wonderful! I've registered your new claims in the MW, and To the Pines is ready for PL :D

ellies wrote: September 1st, 2020, 1:56 am Hi, may I please claim 50-57!
these poems look great!
thanks
ellies
Hi Ellies! I'm sorry to say that 50 & 51 were claimed shortly before your post - but 52 through 57 are all yours! Thank you!

TheBookReader

Post by TheBookReader »

Hello!
May I do sections 4, 5, and 6?

-Ethan
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

TheBookReader wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:27 am Hello!
May I do sections 4, 5, and 6?

-Ethan
You certainly may! Thanks Ethan!