Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Steven Seitel wrote: November 7th, 2019, 12:39 pm Yes, of course I can wait. I would insert your recording in your voice (and credit you for it, of course)
ok I'll do it tomorrow then. This book is about a female traveller, so it's actually fitting if it was spoken by a woman ;)

as for credit....I am not at all insisting for such a small sentence :lol: don't worry about that. I will post it in the thread proper when I'm done. Tomorrow evening.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Thank you, Sonia. That would be great.

Link to the project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=77023&p=1644410#p1644410

Steven Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
ghaelen

Post by ghaelen »

Hello and thanks in advance!

I am leaping headlong into reading for Librivox, and have started out helping with a project: Oracles of Nostradamus by Charles Ward. There are many quotes from Latin and French. The Latin I can manage (I think) but the old French is a little beyond me. Is there a French audio version of the Prophecies of Nostradamus? Profuse apologies if this is an ignorant question. But, if I could listen to the passages that Ward quotes I think I could get pretty close in pronunciation.

I found the French version of the e-book Prophecies of Nostradamus but I don't know that I should follow the automatic narrator.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This isn't so much asking for pronunciation help, as for translation.

Google Translate gave me this: Un enregistrement complet de LibriVox

What I want is to say that a recording is a play with a full cast, in as few words as possible. Does the above work for that?

EDIT: or maybe "Une comédie de casting complet Librivox"?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: February 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm This isn't so much asking for pronunciation help, as for translation.

Google Translate gave me this: Un enregistrement complet de LibriVox

What I want is to say that a recording is a play with a full cast, in as few words as possible. Does the above work for that?

EDIT: or maybe "Une comédie de casting complet Librivox"?
To tell you the truth, I don't know what a full-cast play is. It may be more an idiom, no? Does it mean that every character has its own voice actor?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

If the goal is to emphasize that it was performed by a group and not a single person, I would write interprété(e) par une troupe de Librivox.

Michael
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good (I guess - French is not my strong suit).

How do I know whether to use the one or two E's on interprété(e)?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The e would appear at the end if the subject is grammatically feminine. If the phrase refers generally to a recording, the masculine form is fine.

Michael
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!
ghaelen

Post by ghaelen »

TriciaG wrote: February 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm This isn't so much asking for pronunciation help, as for translation.
It's very strange to say that, since the thread is called "The French Pronunciation Thread" ?? I've seen a number of people ask for help with pronunciation and the resulting mp3 audio files posted to help them.

I did get help elsewhere with my question - not to find a full audio version but with bits and pieces of it.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Barn Jaw good people.

I'm recording a Chapter in The Life of Beethoven, and suddenly he decides to communicate in French with his buddy Schindler.
So far, it has taken me about 20 minutes to really butcher the first sentence and I just cannot go on.
Could someone record the French part for me, please.
They are two buddies talking business. This is the precursor to Schindler (Beethoven's first biographer) messing up the Immortal Beloved thing.

Schindler: Do you want to give the five-part fugue also for nothing?
My dearest friend and master, that is too much generosity towards such unworthy persons.

Beethoven: (having asked Schindler if he had seen Gallenberg’s wife, proceeds):
J’étois bien aimé d’elle et plus que jamais son époux.
Il étoit pourtant plutôt son amant que moi,
mais par elle j’apprenois de son misère et je trouvais un homme de bien,
qui me donnait la somme de 500 fl. pour le soulager.
Il étoit toujours mon ennemi, c’étoit justement la raison, que je fusse tout le bien que possible.

Schindler: It was for this reason that he added “He is an intolerable fellow.”
Probably because of pure gratitude. But forgive them, Lord, they know not what they do.
Est-ce qu’il y a longtemps qu’elle est mariée avec Mons. de Gallenberg?—Mad. la Comtesse?
Était-elle riche? Elle a une belle figure jusqu’ici!

Beethoven: Elle est née Guicciardi. Elle étoit l’épouse de lui avant son voyage en Italie—
arrivé à Vienne elle cherchoit moi pleurant, mais je la méprisois.

Schindler: Hercules at the crossways!

Beethoven: And if I had wished to give my vital powers with that life,
what would have remained for the nobler, the better (things)?

Kitty (Sonia) if you do this gig you'll be entitled to royalties!

Thank you.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:21 amKitty (Sonia) if you do this gig you'll be entitled to royalties!
:lol: no need for royalties, but I remember the project, I already read an excerpt before, methinks. Yes, I can record the French part. Can you give me the link and exact chapter where I have to look ? I prefer from the original text. I try to record it tomorrow morning, or are you in a hurry ?

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:49 pm
realisticspeakers wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:21 amKitty (Sonia) if you do this gig you'll be entitled to royalties!
:lol: no need for royalties, but I remember the project, I already read an excerpt before, methinks. Yes, I can record the French part. Can you give me the link and exact chapter where I have to look ? I prefer from the original text. I try to record it tomorrow morning, or are you in a hurry ?

Sonia
Yes, you did help me on this project. (It was a long time ago...I've been dragging)

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/43591/43591-h/43591-h.htm#Page_321

absolutely no rush
Thank you
-Mitch
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: August 29th, 2020, 1:16 pmYes, you did help me on this project. (It was a long time ago...I've been dragging)
absolutely no rush
just to make sure...you will read all the English and paste my French quotes into the text, it's gonna end up as a sort of dramatic reading, right ?

Sonia
realisticspeakers

Kitty wrote: August 29th, 2020, 1:20 pm
realisticspeakers wrote: August 29th, 2020, 1:16 pmYes, you did help me on this project. (It was a long time ago...I've been dragging)
absolutely no rush
just to make sure...you will read all the English and paste my French quotes into the text, it's gonna end up as a sort of dramatic reading, right ?

Sonia
That is correct. I would paste your lines in to replace my mumbling "french french french...500 florins... more french...."
Beethoven and Schindler were conversing by writing in his conversation book, then suddenly switch to French.

I think it may sound odd pasting your part in the middle of a dialogue, but there is no way I could pull off imitating you.
Unless you think you might record those lines as a tutorial for me to imitate with inflections and appropriate emotions and all?

Do you think you could do 'The Electric Company' type recording and if I fail miserably I could just cut and paste in the performance part?
Disclaimer: