COMPLETE: Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains by Washington Irving - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains by Washington Irving (1783 - 1859).

This project is now complete! Please listen and download from the catalog: https://librivox.org/astoria-or-anecdotes-of-an-enterprise-beyond-the-rocky-mountains-by-washington-irving/
"Astoria" describes the many perilous adventures, discoveries, and disasters experienced by the brave Americans who joined the 1810-1813 Astor Expedition to Oregon. The wealthy New York fur magnate John Jacob Astor masterminded an extensive enterprise with the hope of setting up a fur trading center and outpost of American colonization at the mouth of the Columbia River. Journeying by land and by sea, the intrepid travelers endured incredible hardships, utter exhaustion, and near starvation. Especially interesting and harrowing were the odysseys of Wilson Price Hunt and Robert Stuart who crossed the continent in opposite directions. In spite of the difficulties described, the book was a catalyst that inspired a generation of pioneers to pursue their own way to the Northwest. Washington Irving, author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and Rip Van Winkle, was a masterful writer who was especially good at conveying the vastness and dangers of the wilderness. But as the book was written at the behest of the tycoon Astor, it also includes much description of business dealings, discussion of good and bad management decisions, and even at times some rather fawning praise of Astor himself. Irving also includes some anthropology as he describes the encounter of the explorers and the members of various tribes, whom he synonymously calls Indians, aborigines, savages, or their tribal names. It is noteworthy that the member of the expedition who receives the most abundant and unreserved praise from Irving is an Indian woman who exhibits constant courage and virtue. ( Carol Pelster)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1371
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History ; *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: exploration, american northwest history, oregon history, 19th century american exploration, stories of survival in wilderness, stories of failed leadership

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains , by Washington Irving. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains by Washington Irving. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains , by Washington Irving. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename astoria_##_irving_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. astoria_01_irving_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Washington Irving
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Astoria; Or, Anecdotes of an Enterprise Beyond the Rocky Mountains

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by carolpelster on December 3rd, 2020, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this up for you -- I'll be back in a little bit :D

ETA:
Here we go! I'll add a ~ to the title unless you have a DPL lined up
Kathrine
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thank you for the tilde. I do not have anyone in mind for DPL. I appreciate anyone who wants to volunteer.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

carolpelster wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm Thank you for the tilde. I do not have anyone in mind for DPL. I appreciate anyone who wants to volunteer.
Hi!
I would be interested in joining as DPL, but I've got a pretty full plate and am behind on several solos due to some issue with a computer crash, power outages, a bit of vacation and now overtime at work. So, for now, I'll just keep a watch and of no one else volunteers and I get caught up, maybe I can jump in. Always interested in Oregon history!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

silverquill wrote: August 28th, 2020, 7:11 pm
carolpelster wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm Thank you for the tilde. I do not have anyone in mind for DPL. I appreciate anyone who wants to volunteer.
Hi!
I would be interested in joining as DPL, but I've got a pretty full plate and am behind on several solos due to some issue with a computer crash, power outages, a bit of vacation and now overtime at work. So, for now, I'll just keep a watch and of no one else volunteers and I get caught up, maybe I can jump in. Always interested in Oregon history!
Wow. You sound busy. Thanks for your interest and willingness. I reckon we should wait a bit to see if there's someone out there who's not quite so overwhelmed who might be interested in listening.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Awesome! I won't add you to the MW, Larry, but thank you for letting us know!

Let's stay here in the Launch Pad for another day or two. Please holler if I can help you with anything, Carol!
Kathrine
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I recorded the Introduction and Chapter 1. Washington Irving was a lively writer, even in this non-fiction historical account. I am sure there must be a volunteer proof listener out there who would enjoy hearing this book.
Carol
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I've listened to the introduction and it can be marked PL OK.

I always enjoy listening to a great soloist, and you certainly fit that category!
And, I'm very interested in this book, so I'm willing to sign on as DPL.
I am still playing catch-up after some set-backs, but once I get some backlog done, I'll be up to speed.
~ Larry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Carol,
I will claim DPL if you don't have one. :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I gladly defer to Helen!
~ Larry
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Welcome to the Astoria project, Helen.
And thanks again to silverquill for being willing to step in if we didn't find another listener.
Carol
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Welcome to the Astoria project, Helen.
And thanks again to silverquill for being willing to step in if we didn't find another listener.
Carol
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

DPL checking in. :D
Helen

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome, Helen! Yay, we are a full team -- let's move over to Going Solo
Kathrine
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Carol,

sect 0-Intro
PL Ok

sect 1
PL OK
Your reading is excellent! :clap:

I will change the MW when I hear back from you.
Question:
Should this be included?
CHAPTER I. -- Objects of American Enterprise.—Gold Hunting and Fur Trading.—Their Effect on Colonization.—Early French Canadian Settlers.—Ottawa and Huron Hunters.—An Indian Trading Camp. Coureurs Des Bois, or Rangers of the Woods.—Their Roaming Life.—Their Revels and Excesses.—Licensed Traders. Missionaries.—Trading Posts.—Primitive French Canadian Merchant.—His Establishment and Dependents.—British Canadian Fur Merchant.—Origin of the Northwest Company.—Its Constitution.—Its Internal Trade.—A Candidate for the Company.—Privations in the Wilderness.—Northwest Clerks. Northwest Partners.—Northwest Nabobs.—Feudal Notions in the Forests.—The Lords of the Lakes.—Fort William.—Its Parliamentary Hall and Banqueting Room.—Wassailing in the Wilderness.
Helen