COMPLETE: The Turkish Embassy Letters by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The Turkish Embassy Letters (selection) by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689 - 1762).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-turkish-embassy-letters-selection-by-lady-mary-wortley-montagu/

Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (née Pierrepont) was an English aristocrat and woman of letters. In 1716, she accompanied her husband to Vienna, and thence to Adrianople (Edirne) and Constantinople, where he took up his post as the new British ambassador. The couple remained there until 1718. Lady Mary told the story of their voyage in a series of private letters full of vivid descriptions and unconventional commentary. Their posthumous publication in 1763 presented to the public the first secular work written by a European woman about the Muslim Orient. They were praised by Voltaire, and the Scottish author Tobias Smollett opined that they were "never equaled by any letter-writer of any sex, age or nation".

This selection contains sixteen of Lady Mary's Turkish Embassy Letters, as they came to be known, addressed her sister, Lady Mar (letters 1-5, 8, 9, 13, and 16), to Lady Rich (letters 6, 12 and 14), and to Abate Conti (letters 7, 10, 11 and 15). (Summary by Kazbek & Wikipedia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lettersofladymar00mont_0/page/54/mode/2up
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please do not read the footnotes.

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: Constantinople, Islam, Istanbul, Muslim world, Orientalism, Ottoman Empire, Turkey

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Turkish Embassy Letters. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Turkish Embassy Letters, by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Letter [number]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Turkish Embassy Letters, by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      turkishembassyletters_#_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number (e.g. turkishembassyletters_1_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3)
    9. Please ignore ID3 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Kazbek on October 16th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC this for you, Kazbek. MW will be up shortly.
Jo
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Jo! Great to be working with you on another project. The MW is filled out.

Michael
NancyChris

Post by NancyChris »

Hello!
I'm new to the LibriVox family and have read most of the Beginners Information that you've provided.

I would like to read Section 1 on this project. Question: I was scanning the text and noticed a few footnotes. What is the procedure for reading the footnotes? Thanks for your assistance with this.

Please use "NancyChris" as my catalogue name.

What else do you need to know from me?

Thanks,
NancyChris
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

NancyChris wrote: August 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm Hello!
I'm new to the LibriVox family and have read most of the Beginners Information that you've provided.

I would like to read Section 1 on this project. Question: I was scanning the text and noticed a few footnotes. What is the procedure for reading the footnotes? Thanks for your assistance with this.

Please use "NancyChris" as my catalogue name.

What else do you need to know from me?

Thanks,
NancyChris
Hi NancyChris,

Thanks for volunteering! Unless otherwise specified, readers can decide whether they want to read each particular footnote. If the BC has special instructions about footnotes, they usually put them above the Magic Window. In this case, I'm asking readers not to read the footnotes (because they interrupt the flow of the letters and don't reflect current scholarship). Thanks for checking!

Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/14869

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

I'd like to read Section 2, if possible! Thanks! :)
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Manders375 wrote: August 27th, 2020, 6:51 pm I'd like to read Section 2, if possible! Thanks! :)
Absolutely possible. :D Thanks, Amanda!

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Jo,

If we don't attract a PL volunteer within a couple of days, I'll DPL myself.

Michael
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

You can always advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

One way or the other, I will move the thread to Readers Wanted sometime tomorrow. :)
Jo
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I’d like to claim section 3. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:31 pm You can always advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

One way or the other, I will move the thread to Readers Wanted sometime tomorrow. :)
Thanks, I know. It's been few years since I read these letters, so I wouldn't mind revisiting them.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: August 29th, 2020, 2:42 am Hi, I’d like to claim section 3. :)
Assigned! Thanks, Matea. :)

Michael
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Section 2 complete: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_2_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3
17:30

That was very enjoyable to read! I especially liked her description of the Turkish baths. I'm happy to continue and take Section 4 if that's okay.
Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Manders375 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 3:49 pm Section 2 complete: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_2_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3

That was very enjoyable to read! I especially liked her description of the Turkish baths. I'm happy to continue and take Section 4 if that's okay.
Thanks!
Thank you, Amanda! I'm glad you liked it. I'll listen to it soon. Section 4 is assigned. :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Manders375 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 3:49 pm Section 2 complete: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/turkishembassyletters_2_wortleymontagu_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Great reading! PL OK.

Michael