COMPLETE: South Sea Tales by Jack London -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

South Sea Tales by Jack London (1876 - 1916).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/south-sea-tales-by-jack-london/

The eight short stories that comprise South Sea Tales are powerful tales that vividly evoke the early 1900’s colonial South Pacific islands. Tales of hurricanes, missionaries, brotherhood and seafaring are intertwined with enslavement, savagery, and lawless trading to expose the often-barbarous history of the South Pacific islands. You will also gain unsparing insight into the life, culture and relations between natives and Westerners during this period. If you like nautical and sea adventures, if you are interested in the history of the South Pacific islands, and especially if you want to read gripping tales set in the exotic lands, then this book will be perfect for you. However, please be forewarned that it does contain racist content. (Warren Kati - compiled from several book reviews)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1208
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Short Stories/Single Author Collections; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: South Pacific, islanders, savagery, adventure, colonialism, trading

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of South Sea Tales by Jack London. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "South Sea Tales by Jack London. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of South Sea Tales by Jack London. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of South Sea Tales by Jack London. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename southseatales_##_london_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. southseatales_01_london_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Sciguyvoice on October 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I loved J.London in my childhood! May I please DPL? That would be nostalgic... :)
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you Warren. MW will be along shortly...

Note: I've deleted the extra mentions of the author from the filenames and in the intros and outro.
Jo
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Thank you, Mark and Jo. It will be a pleasure partnering with you on this project.

Warren
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Mark and Jo,

I have the first short story, Mapuhi's House, ready to submit as a single file of 64 minutes in length. However, Checker failed to pass the file because it is longer than 60 minutes. But I thought that files less than 72 minutes were OK to submit.

I would prefer to submit the story as single file rather than break it into two sections. It is a compelling story and breaking it into two sections would disrupt the flow in my opinion. Please advise me whether you prefer that I submit two 30+ minute sections or a single 64 minute file.

Thanks,

Warren
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Well, I wasn't aware that Checker failed files for length, but now it has come up twice this week. :shock: You are correct, Warren, that files less than 72 minutes are OK to submit, although at some point I think we were suggesting that readers keep files under 60 min. The 72 minutes is based on the capacity of a (albeit older) CD, in case listeners want to burn files to CD to listen. Bottom line, your 64 min file is OK to upload. :) Sorry for the confusion.
Jo
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Thanks, Jo. I appreciate the quick response. I will upload the 64 minute file tomorrow.

Warren
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sciguyvoice wrote: August 26th, 2020, 12:28 pm I would prefer to submit the story as single file rather than break it into two sections.
Hi Warren,
Yes, the limit is 70-72 min, and it is your decision how to break your sections.
I usually try to make them under 30-40 min, but that's my personal preference. Many people listen to audiobooks in smaller chunks at a time, therefore an hour-long story might get broken anyway, and likely would disrupt the flow at an even less fitting spot. But I am an experienced audiobook veteran and got used to breaking stories as my commute dictates.
OTOH, if I were doing you previous book, I'd combine the 10-min chapters by two in a section -- but that just illustrates that we have different tastes. :wink:
Whatever you decide, I'd be fine, looking forward to the story :-)
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. After giving the matter some thought I agree that breaking the story into two smaller sections is the better choice. I think that I found a spot where the break isn't too disruptive, yielding 27 and 38 minute sections. See what you think.

I hope that you enjoy the story and I welcome any PL notes.

Thanks,

Warren
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Warren.
I wil start listening shortly, meanwhile I see you have chosen to name your files [solo]southseatales_##_london_128kb.mp3
I never saw LV file names starting with [solo]. I wonder if it is okay with Jo :?:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Good catch, Mark. I missed that in cleaning up the template. :(

Warren - I will fix these on the server and update the links for you. Please adjust the names going forward to eliminate the [solo], so just southseatales_##_london_128kb.mp3
Jo
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Thank you Mark and Jo. I should have asked about the [solo] myself. :(
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.1,2 PL OK :thumbs:
Thank you for the pleasure!
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Thank you, Mark!

Warren
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Mark,

The 3rd section is now ready for PL. Have a great Labor Day.

Warren