COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 077 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Prabo wrote: August 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm Hello My name is Prabo, Id like to read something and get started. I just signed up to LV.

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you

Prabo
Hi Prabo, Welcome to LibriVox! :) We're glad that you are enthusiastic about recording.

The first thing you'll want to do is to complete and get an OK on LibriVox's one-minute test to check the technical specifications of your recording files. This is not an audition. It's a requirement to simply confirm that your recording "specs" meet LibriVox requirements. Please post your one-minute test in the "Listeners Wanted" thread and an experienced LibriVoxer will have a listen and check the specs for you.

Here is the link to the one-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test.
Here is the link to the "Listener's Wanted" thread: viewforum.php?f=21

When your one-minute test has been ok'd, you can look in the forum threads that say "Readers Wanted" to find ongoing projects that you can join to read poems, short stories, chapters of books, and so on. Or you can come back to the Short Nonfiction Collection. The SNF does not have assigned readings. You get to pick what you want to read. You'll find suggestions on where to find public domain nonfiction to read in the first post for this volume of the SNF

Best wishes,

Sue Anderson, Book Coordinator (BC)
Prabo

Post by Prabo »

Thank you very much Sue for the information. i will do as instructed. I am very excited to get started.

Best Regards,
Prabo
Fewilliams20

Post by Fewilliams20 »

Hello There,

I wanted to read the story "A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. I did get a chance to look at the story before sending this and I see it has an introduction. My question is before I start reading the actual story, should I read the introduction and the table of contents?

Link to the story:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19337/19337-h/19337-h.htm
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Fewilliams20 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:26 am Hello There,

I wanted to read the story "A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. I did get a chance to look at the story before sending this and I see it has an introduction. My question is before I start reading the actual story, should I read the introduction and the table of contents?

Link to the story:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19337/19337-h/19337-h.htm
Hi Fewilliams20, Welcome to LibriVox! :) It sounds like you are going to be an enthusiastic LibriVoxer!

Before you do anything else, you will want to follow the instructions I just gave to another newcomer, Prabo, a few minutes ago and a couple of posts back on this thread. I'm repeating them below to help you out. After you have done your one-minute test and had it ok'd, then would be the time to discuss what you might record for this Short Nonfiction Collection. We would accept folk tales, but we could not accept a fictional story such as the Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. There are different sections of LibriVox, devoted to fiction, short stories, poems, etc. You can explore these threads by looking at the "Readers Wanted" forums, and ask questions from an appropriate book coordinator for the material you are considering.

Please start your LibriVox adventure by completing these instructions (the same as I just gave to Prabo):
Sue Anderson wrote: August 27th, 2020, 5:41 pm
Prabo wrote: August 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm Hello My name is Prabo, Id like to read something and get started. I just signed up to LV.

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you

Prabo
Hi Prabo, Welcome to LibriVox! :) We're glad that you are enthusiastic about recording.

The first thing you'll want to do is to complete and get an OK on LibriVox's one-minute test to check the technical specifications of your recording files. This is not an audition. It's a requirement to simply confirm that your recording "specs" meet LibriVox requirements. Please post your one-minute test in the "Listeners Wanted" thread and an experienced LibriVoxer will have a listen and check the specs for you.

Here is the link to the one-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test.
Here is the link to the "Listener's Wanted" thread: viewforum.php?f=21

When your one-minute test has been ok'd, you can look in the forum threads that say "Readers Wanted" to find ongoing projects that you can join to read poems, short stories, chapters of books, and so on. Or you can come back to the Short Nonfiction Collection. The SNF does not have assigned readings. You get to pick what you want to read. You'll find suggestions on where to find public domain nonfiction to read in the first post for this volume of the SNF

Best wishes,

Sue Anderson, Book Coordinator (BC)
Thank you,
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Craig, I've reserved #12 for a chapter of Santayana's The Life of Reason, from an abandoned solo. Annise is going to fix the intro and send it over to the SNF. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72209
soupy

Post by soupy »

Ok - I'll PL when it gets here.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_religionembodytmentreason_santayana_plb_128kb.mp3 18:55

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15000 It's the first chapter of volume 3 and called HOW RELIGION MAY BE AN EMBODIMENT OF REASON
I think it's OK and I've given all you need but don't hesitate to tell me if I've missed something - it is a long time since I've adjusted a recording.

Anne
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Anne!
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Some thoughts on prohibition, from 1918. I certainly have some of my own thoughts on this, but I'll try not to editorialize :wink:

Government by the Brewers?, by Adolph Keitel

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_governmentbybrewers_keitel_ag_128kb.mp3

Time: 31:58
Text Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9406

A few things to note:

- There is a single footnote in the text. I included it at the end of the paragraph where it appeared.
- Multiple quotes from elsewhere in the text are included as excepts at the end of certain chapters. I've kept these for now, but given them plenty of "breathing room" so it's clear that they're separate. If you feel like they're unnecessary or if I left too much space around them, let me know and I'll edit accordingly.
- An advertisement appears as an image in the text. I couldn't resist reading the copy aloud...hope that's acceptable.

Thanks! Now I think I need a beer...
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
soupy

Post by soupy »

This was read by philip beard :D

Well read and interesting.

A few errors to note:

19:14 Each doctrine will simply represent the moral plane on which they live who have devised or adopted it. you said and have devised or adopted it

19:25 We shall be able to lend ourselves to each in turn, and seek to draw from it the secret of its inspiration. You said lead ourselves to each in turn and then interpretation for inspiration

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 4:16 pm This was read by philip beard :D

Well read and interesting.

A few errors to note:

19:14 Each doctrine will simply represent the moral plane on which they live who have devised or adopted it. you said and have devised or adopted it

19:25 We shall be able to lend ourselves to each in turn, and seek to draw from it the secret of its inspiration. You said lead ourselves to each in turn and then interpretation for inspiration

Craig
Thanks for the PL, Craig! This selection from Santayana was sent to the SNF by one of LV's admin's from an abandoned solo, by a reader, a newbie, who has apparently dropped out of LibriVox, in order to salvage an interesting chapter from a book by a major philosopher. Under the circumstances, since we cannot contact the reader, I'm going to mark this PL OK, using standard proofing standards.
soupy

Post by soupy »

OK :thumbs:

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks both - I'll have a look to see if I could fix them but it depends on there being the same word somewhere else in the reading and it slotting in seamlessly - otherwise I think it might "stick out like a sore thumb" - but it is so well read and interesting I would like it to be perfect.

Anne
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

OooThatsNifty wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 3:46 pm Some thoughts on prohibition, from 1918. I certainly have some of my own thoughts on this, but I'll try not to editorialize :wink:

Government by the Brewers?, by Adolph Keitel

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf077_governmentbybrewers_keitel_ag_128kb.mp3

Time: 31:58
Text Link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9406

A few things to note:

- There is a single footnote in the text. I included it at the end of the paragraph where it appeared.
- Multiple quotes from elsewhere in the text are included as excepts at the end of certain chapters. I've kept these for now, but given them plenty of "breathing room" so it's clear that they're separate. If you feel like they're unnecessary or if I left too much space around them, let me know and I'll edit accordingly.
- An advertisement appears as an image in the text. I couldn't resist reading the copy aloud...hope that's acceptable.

Thanks! Now I think I need a beer...
Thanks, OooThatsNifty! :) An interesting commentary on a complicated question.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

annise wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm Thanks both - I'll have a look to see if I could fix them but it depends on there being the same word somewhere else in the reading and it slotting in seamlessly - otherwise I think it might "stick out like a sore thumb" - but it is so well read and interesting I would like it to be perfect.

Anne
Thanks, Anne, but don't worry about it. My take is that the selection was, for the most part, well read, and might, therefore, inspire somebody to read or listen to more of Santayana's writings, and in that sense it has reason for inclusion in the SNF. Furthermore, hopefully, the reader will encounter his chapter in the SNF collection and be inspired to return to LibriVox and finish his solo!