COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 077 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
michaelb71

Post by michaelb71 »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

JachinandBoaz wrote: August 24th, 2020, 2:39 pm

I had a technical question. I tried running this through checker, mainly to make sure that the volume was correct. Checker immediately errors out on me and tells me that it's failed because it's over 60 minutes. There's an additional comment, stating that some collections permit recordings of over an hour. (And I've seen that this collection often has recordings over an hour long.)...But checker didn't answer my original question, which was basically, other than the length of the recording, is the volume level fine. Is there a way to bypass the "over 60 minutes" error and still utilize checker's ability to parse the recording to ensure that the volume is correct?

Daniel
LV target volume is 89 db, with an acceptable range of 86-92 db. The checker should pass anything within that range. For longer files, you can ignore the fact that a file fails for being over 60 minutes as long as you confirm that all the rest of the numbers on the information tab are OK.

There was a point in time when we recommended files not go over 60 minutes. It's a good rule of thumb and was obviously coded into the checker at the time although I wasn't aware that files failed for being over 60 minutes. As Sue points out, just go to the Information tab in the Checker to see all the details about your file. We do recommend keeping individual files under the limit of a CD for those listeners who still burn files to CDs to listen (which is where the 74 minute cutoff comes from).
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thank you! :) File name updated in Magic Window.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm
JachinandBoaz wrote: August 24th, 2020, 2:39 pm

I had a technical question. I tried running this through checker, mainly to make sure that the volume was correct. Checker immediately errors out on me and tells me that it's failed because it's over 60 minutes. There's an additional comment, stating that some collections permit recordings of over an hour. (And I've seen that this collection often has recordings over an hour long.)...But checker didn't answer my original question, which was basically, other than the length of the recording, is the volume level fine. Is there a way to bypass the "over 60 minutes" error and still utilize checker's ability to parse the recording to ensure that the volume is correct?

Daniel
LV target volume is 89 db, with an acceptable range of 86-92 db. The checker should pass anything within that range. For longer files, you can ignore the fact that a file fails for being over 60 minutes as long as you confirm that all the rest of the numbers on the information tab are OK.

There was a point in time when we recommended files not go over 60 minutes. It's a good rule of thumb and was obviously coded into the checker at the time although I wasn't aware that files failed for being over 60 minutes. As Sue points out, just go to the Information tab in the Checker to see all the details about your file. We do recommend keeping individual files under the limit of a CD for those listeners who still burn files to CDs to listen (which is where the 74 minute cutoff comes from).
Thank you, Jo! :) Do you think you could amend the Wiki instructions on the one-minute test to include the "acceptable range of 86-92 dB"? I think that would be helpful info.
gchanturia

Post by gchanturia »

Would love to read something, please assign it to me. I'm new to the LV.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

gchanturia wrote: August 25th, 2020, 5:46 am Would love to read something, please assign it to me. I'm new to the LV.
gchanturia wrote: August 24th, 2020, 12:07 pm Hello!
My name is George Chanturia, I'd like to volunteer reading books. I speak 3 languages well, english, russian and Georgian. Working on learning another one now but that's an uphill battle :)

Please feel free to reach out, I'm glad to connect.

George
Hi George, Welcome to LibriVox! :D Those are wonderful language skills, and since you can read for LibriVox in any language, you should have lots of recording opportunities here!

I see you've reached out to several book coordinators (BCs) about volunteering, and that is great. I expect that all of them will give you the same advice as I am about to do, that before you do any recording, you'll want to check the specifications of your recording equipment, to be sure that what you record has the "specs" that meet LibriVox's requirements.

This checking procedure is called the "one minute test.' You'll find the instructions on how to do it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test.

When you've completed this introductory "one minute" recording and it has been ok'd, you're ready to record.

The Short Nonfiction Collection does not have assigned readings. You get to pick what you want to read. Since you speak Georgian, you might be interested in this book: Georgian Folk Tales (in English translation) It is available here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44536/44536-h/44536-h.htm
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

Sue and Jo -

Thank you both for the response(s)...I always wonder the reason for the 74 minute cutoff!

Daniel
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: August 25th, 2020, 2:31 pm Sue and Jo -

Thank you both for the response(s)...I always wonder the reason for the 74 minute cutoff!

Daniel
In the interests of clarity, I've now added the 74 minute max to the SNF instructions.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sue Anderson wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:45 am
Thank you, Jo! :) Do you think you could amend the Wiki instructions on the one-minute test to include the "acceptable range of 86-92 dB"? I think that would be helpful info.
Done.
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Sue Anderson wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:45 am
Done.
Thank you! :D
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for a history of the Arabs Daniel :D

Well read and very informative.

PLOK :thumbs:
Still more important were the results of the expedition undertaken in 1870 by the Jewish scholar, Joseph Halévy, who penetrated into the Jawf, or country lying east of Ṣan‘á, which no European had traversed before him since 24 b.c., when Ælius Gallus led a Roman army by the same route.
Everyone must have just stayed home for 1894 years :?

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Fewilliams20

Post by Fewilliams20 »

Hello Sue,

I have decided to read two selections from 'American Fairy Tales' by L. FRANK BAUM. the two selections are 'THE QUEEN OF QUOK' and 'THE GIRL WHO OWNED A BEAR'

Here is the link to the selections:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4357/4357-h/4357-h.htm#girl
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz »

soupy wrote: August 26th, 2020, 5:38 am Thanks for a history of the Arabs Daniel :D

Craig
Thanks Craig - In the MW it looks like there's an error in the time. It's showing 101 hours instead of 1 hour.

Daniel
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JachinandBoaz wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:44 am
soupy wrote: August 26th, 2020, 5:38 am Thanks for a history of the Arabs Daniel :D

Craig
Thanks Craig - In the MW it looks like there's an error in the time. It's showing 101 hours instead of 1 hour.

Daniel
Timing fixed in MW; thanks, Daniel for catching that! :) :
Prabo

Post by Prabo »

Hello My name is Prabo, Id like to read something and get started. I just signed up to LV.

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing from you

Prabo