Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I second that - I love the variety of colours and ideas and thee mixture of simple and complex.

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

I check them all out too, and make sure all the links work. The variety is interesting. Alas, I almost never see the covers claimed by MC's (who can link them up themselves so don't announce them on the Working Thread).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MCs often add covers when cataloguing if the BCs/soloists have them ready. But not all MCs are familiar with the process.

It's possible our resident Archive search expert could come up with a way of using their search to show those with covers recently added - would people be interested if he did?

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: August 24th, 2020, 5:23 pm MCs often add covers when cataloguing if the BCs/soloists have them ready. But not all MCs are familiar with the process.

It's possible our resident Archive search expert could come up with a way of using their search to show those with covers recently added - would people be interested if he did?

Anne
I'm interesting in seeing ALL the covers we make, sure. But my point is I rarely see the ones made by you, Bart, Tricia and Availle, though I know you do covers because I see that you've claimed them. You just don't post them to the Working Thread like the rest of us do because you can link them yourselves.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You can just go to the main page of librivox books on archive and then select as sorting option "Date Published"

https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio?sort=-date
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - but that shows the ones without covers too - and the pages look better with all the spaces filled :D
But I can't think of any way to sort that into "whodunit".
It is a nice surprise sometime though to be looking through some old projects though and think - Oh that's a nice idea, wonder who did that - and it's you.
And just to explain - before the software change there were only a few covers made, and they were just shown on the project page but a gigantic push was made to get every project with coverart when the new software began. Bart and HokusPokus grabbed people and covers were made in time, but it was more "grab an image and get it done than long and careful thought :D

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: August 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm You can just go to the main page of librivox books on archive and then select as sorting option "Date Published"

https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio?sort=-date
Yep, that works. Thanks.
Now how about we start a campaign to encourage listeners to leave reviews on IA of the books they listen to. It's a wonderful promotional resource that I don't think many LV'ers are aware of.
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: August 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm Yes - but that shows the ones without covers too - and the pages look better with all the spaces filled :D
It is a nice surprise sometime though to be looking through some old projects though and think - Oh that's a nice idea, wonder who did that - and it's you.
And just to explain - before the software change there were only a few covers made, and they were just shown on the project page but a gigantic push was made to get every project with coverart when the new software began. Bart and HokusPokus grabbed people and covers were made in time, but it was more "grab an image and get it done than long and careful thought :D

Anne
Most things evolve and improve over time. The learning curve is slow but steady and goes faster the more people get involved.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

msfry wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:06 pm
Now how about we start a campaign to encourage listeners to leave reviews on IA of the books they listen to. It's a wonderful promotional resource that I don't think many LV'ers are aware of.
LV is founded on all members being important with no negative criticism allowed. Archive does not and I know of several readers who have been unable to accept the vitriolic reviews from serial reviewers on Archive and quit. There are members who post reviews over there, I think you are one of the few who use their forum names though there has been another who does advertise his 2nd or 3rd version in the previous versions,
So all in all I don't think there is anything to be gained and a lot to be lost.
(I think my favourite ignorant reviewer was he who said "Librivox could at least not choose a British reader for that famous American writer Charles Dickens )

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

It wouldn't hurt to alert LV'ers to the opportunities for them to leave positive reviews where they can, to encourage our readers, and to promote LV. It could be suggested they honor LV's rules to avoid negativity. I give a 4 or 5 star rating on all my reviews, not because the reader was stunningly professional in quality or the book was Gone With The Wind in scope, but if I learned something new and/or remained interested all the way to the end. If I don't think it deserves marks that high, I don't finish the book and don't leave a review.

Of course, I have no control what those obsessive reviewers say or do, LVers or otherwise. They more often expose their bad manners than their literary prowess.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have all sorts of readers - a cross-section of the world in general and not all of them are prepared to accept that others have the right to have different ones, and we have readers who are less confident and are unable to shrug off some of the negative reviews.
And reviewers who think their opinions are facts and always say "that reader is terrible" never "I personally hate that readers voice"

But wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When people in the forum here suggest a place to review recordings, I do direct them to the Archive reviews. If a member wants to start a thread in, say, "Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion" alerting readers to the existence of reviewing on the Archive pages, I don't think that would be a problem (although I'm sure it would get posts discussing whether or not there should be reviews at all, bad reviews, what aspects of a recording should be reviewed, etc.). But we're not going to make any official push to promote it. :)

P.S. I occasionally review works over there, under a different name. And yes, sometimes I give *ahem* negative feedback. :roll: Most of my reviews are positive, though.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Maybe if someone wants to instead of saying "leave reviews" you could say "recommend a project you enjoyed"

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: August 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm But I can't think of any way to sort that into "whodunit".
do you mean, to show who did the cover while showing all coers?
or do you mean to show all covers of a certain covermaker?
that is possible with:
"keyword=username" + "Search text contents"
annise wrote: August 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm Yes - but that shows the ones without covers too - and the pages look better with all the spaces filled :D

Anne
thx for the history-explaining :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: August 28th, 2020, 3:55 am 2 covers added - thank you :D :D
Schrm - it wasn't an easy cover and I think what you did is interesting - and stands out :thumbs:

Anne
now, as you say it..
i think i claimed it because it was not easy..
thx! :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275