[COMPLETE][Poetry]The Complaint, or Night Thoughts by Edward Young - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Dave!
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

Hi all,

I was told to post an update here on the 12th. I've now completed the recording (a whooping 3 and a half hours!) and have been at work, editing. I'm unsure at this stage what the exact length of the recording will be, possibly 2 hours long because there's a lot I will edit out, mainly mistakes. I think I'll require a day or two more to finish the editing, and I will post another update regarding my finished recording here. I apologize for my tardiness. As for the length of the recording, should I split it in two?

Thanks,
Noctivagus (Ania)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Ania, glad to hear back from you, thank you so much for an update. :)
I've now completed the recording (a whooping 3 and a half hours!) and have been at work, editing. I'm unsure at this stage what the exact length of the recording will be, possibly 2 hours long because there's a lot I will edit out, mainly mistakes.
:shock: ok this section is far longer than expected and I'm sorry I didn't notice right away. I probably made a mistake in assessing the length.

The maximum length for a section is 74 minutes. So it needs to be split in 2 sections, so much is sure.

So here is what I propose to do:

1) finish editing out all the errors, stumbles and repeats from your masterfile and see how long it will be in the end
2) if it's about 2 hours long, cut it in two almost equal length sections of about 1 hour each, if it's even longer, let me know and you will need to split it in 3 sections (again, try to make them of about equal length)
3) you need to do another intro/outro then: "Chapter 9.... Night Ninth, Part 1" and "Chapter 10....Night Ninth, Part 2" and also name the file names nightthoughts_09_young_128kb and nightthoughts_10_young_128kb. I also changed this in the Magic Window, you can see that you are now assigned 2 sections
4) I would suggest to finish up the first part already and post it here as soon as it's ready, then Dave can give you feedback on it already, in case there are any corrections to make, to help you not to make the same mistakes in the second part.
I think I'll require a day or two more to finish the editing, and I will post another update regarding my finished recording here. I apologize for my tardiness.
that's ok, you really did take on a very difficult and lengthy section for your first recording. Actually kudos for sticking with it and getting so far. :thumbs: I will give you an extended deadline of another month (so till 18th August), so you can complete this without stressing too much over it. Since it's already recorded and "only" needs editing, I think one month would be reasonable to finish it. :) Please let me know any updates from time to time and as I said, it would be good to post the first part as soon as it's done to see where we are at. 8-)

Thanks and good luck with editing. And please rest assured, most projects don't have such long sections, you really started out with one of the longest. From now on it can only get easier ;)

Sonia
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

Thanks a ton! All of you are so understanding :) I will try to post the first section quickly, once I'm done editing it.
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

Hello,

I've finally uploaded the ninth section of Night Thoughts so it's ready for PL, and I'm working on the other two at the moment. This one's about 70 minutes because I found a break there.
Sorry for the delay.

Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_09_young_128kB.mp3

Side note: The first 10 or so minutes I was really close to the mic (sorry!) so there were quite a few plosives. I've taken out some but let me know if that part needs to be recorded.
Side note 2: I'd also like to know if I'm speaking too slowly, so that I can speed up if necessary and reduce the length.

I'll be waiting for feedback before I upload the other sections so that I can edit the others based on it.

Thanks,
Noctivagus (Ania)
Last edited by Noctivagus on August 11th, 2020, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Noctivagus wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:14 amI've finally uploaded the first section of Night Thoughts so it's ready for PL, and I'm working on the other two at the moment. This one's about 70 minutes because I found a break there.
thank you. Could you tell me the exact length please ?

Dave will give you feedback as soon as possible and will let you know what you could amend. Yes I think you may have rather spoken very slow, otherwise I cannot imagine that the recording would be so long. But better slow than too fast :lol: Depends how slow it is ;)

We'll see. Please check in regularly the next days

see you

Sonia
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

38:41 delete repeat, "not that alone"

While the read is slow I don't know that it has to be speeded up. One could play with the "change tempo" function of Audacity. More to bring the speed up closer to that of the previous files than out of any necessity.

edit: I forgot to mention that the filename has a typo in it. kB should be lower case, kb.
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make the changes and check out the "change tempo" function.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Noctivagus wrote: August 12th, 2020, 12:12 am Thanks for the feedback! I'll make the changes and check out the "change tempo" function.
excellent, I see you had barely any errors :clap: this bodes well for your two upcoming sections.

Well done, Ania !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

seeing that you need a bit more time, how about I extend the deadline to another 2 weeks. Hopefully that will be sufficient for your edits. You did record it all already, if I understood correctly ? I'll set the deadline to the 27th August then, fine with you, Ania ?

Sonia
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

You did record it all already, if I understood correctly ?
Yes, It's been recorded, just editing the other two sections currently, also trying to bring down the time.
27th August
Thanks a ton! That's more than enough time for them, I think I'll be able to be done by the end of this week for sure.

Regards,
Ania
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Noctivagus wrote: August 13th, 2020, 4:55 am Thanks a ton! That's more than enough time for them, I think I'll be able to be done by the end of this week for sure.
:9: wonderful news, thanks

Sonia
Noctivagus

Post by Noctivagus »

Here are the other sections:

Section 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_10_young_128kb.mp3
Section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_11_young_128kb.mp3

Here is the edited section 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_09_young_128kb.mp3

Kindly let me know if there are any errors.

Regards,
Ania
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Noctivagus wrote: August 20th, 2020, 8:26 amHere are the other sections:

Section 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_10_young_128kb.mp3
Section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_11_young_128kb.mp3

Here is the edited section 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/nightthoughts_09_young_128kb.mp3

Kindly let me know if there are any errors.
super, Ania, thank you so much. Once Dave has PLed it all and there are no errors, we can catalogue this project. :9:

Sonia
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK.