Complete [ANIMALS] Anecdotes of Big Cats and Other Beasts by David Alec Wilson-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Esmina

Post by Esmina »

RitaBoutros wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:13 am
Esmina wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:27 pm Section 64 completed

File duration - 07:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/anecdotesofbigcats_64_wilson_128kb.mp3
PL note for section 64:

Only one tiny thing at 6:36:
"...laughters around him" should be "laughers around him"

Section 65 is PL OK
Good catch!
Updated now, here is the new link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/anecdotesofbigcats_64_wilson_128kb.mp3

Fiule duration - 07:17
The more humans I meet, the more I love my dogs.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MoiraScott wrote: August 19th, 2020, 2:04 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/anecdotesofbigcats_53_wilson_128kb.mp3

Here is the recording for section 53. Length is 3:31. Let me know what you think! This is my first official upload. :D

Thanks!
Moira
Thank you!
Our DPL will have a report for you soon.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've updated the sections as Ready for Spot PL.
If I've missed anything, let me know.
~ Larry
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Nancy, your sections 66, 67, 68, 69 and 70 are PL OK
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Esmina, your section 64 is PL OK
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

silverquill wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm I've updated the sections as Ready for Spot PL.
Larry, would you please take a look at the MW? Something weird there. Section 61 contains a file named 50. 61 is Anna
Section 62 is missing its text. 62 is Anna
Section 66 is missing its text and says Esmina, although 66 is Nancy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RitaBoutros wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:33 am
silverquill wrote: August 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm I've updated the sections as Ready for Spot PL.
Larry, would you please take a look at the MW? Something weird there. Section 61 contains a file named 50. 61 is Anna
Section 62 is missing its text. 62 is Anna
Section 66 is missing its text and says Esmina, although 66 is Nancy
I know something slipped using a borrowed laptop.
Unfortunately my spreadsheet where I had all the sections laid out was lost in my hard disc crash. So, it will take some work to get things back in proper order, unless I can recover my data. Initial report is not encouraging, however.
~ Larry
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

MoiraScott wrote: August 19th, 2020, 2:04 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/anecdotesofbigcats_53_wilson_128kb.mp3

Here is the recording for section 53. Length is 3:31. Let me know what you think! This is my first official upload. :D

Thanks!
Moira
Hi Moira and welcome!
I must say, I think for your first recording, you did admirably well. :D

My only issue is with your volume, which is at an astonishing 68.3! The acceptable range for Librivox is 86-92, although about 89-90 is considered ideal. I had to lean in really close to hear what you were saying :lol: :lol: and I would definitely recommend that the next time you record, you do it in the same room where your computer is. Haha just kidding. I think it's great.

Increasing volume in Audacity is pretty easy.
Open your file. You will notice on the left a sliding scale under the Mute button. Slide the scale all the way up to 22 and then re-save your file. That should bring your volume up to 89. Use the Volume Checker to make sure it is now at an acceptable level (read about the Checker in the Newbie Guide to Recording). Use the Checker every time you submit a file to make sure your volume and other settings are acceptable.

Then: Listen to your new file. If the huge amount of volume increase has caused distortion in the sound, then you may have to re-record the file (fortunately it's a short one). Our BC or MC might have some other suggestions too.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask if you need help. And don't be daunted by all this -- even I learned it. :roll:
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Oops - Moira:
I forgot to add that at :22 seconds, you need to add "Charlie Darwin, or the lady Gibbon, part 7" and remove the word chapter there.
MoiraScott

Post by MoiraScott »

RitaBoutros wrote: August 20th, 2020, 8:30 am

Thanks!
Moira
Hi Moira and welcome!
I must say, I think for your first recording, you did admirably well. :D

My only issue is with your volume, which is at an astonishing 68.3! The acceptable range for Librivox is 86-92, although about 89-90 is considered ideal. I had to lean in really close to hear what you were saying :lol: :lol: and I would definitely recommend that the next time you record, you do it in the same room where your computer is. Haha just kidding. I think it's great.

Increasing volume in Audacity is pretty easy.
Open your file. You will notice on the left a sliding scale under the Mute button. Slide the scale all the way up to 22 and then re-save your file. That should bring your volume up to 89. Use the Volume Checker to make sure it is now at an acceptable level (read about the Checker in the Newbie Guide to Recording). Use the Checker every time you submit a file to make sure your volume and other settings are acceptable.

Then: Listen to your new file. If the huge amount of volume increase has caused distortion in the sound, then you may have to re-record the file (fortunately it's a short one). Our BC or MC might have some other suggestions too.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask if you need help. And don't be daunted by all this -- even I learned it. :roll:
Ok, lets see if this is better! I had to re-record and now the time is 3:14. Thanks so much for your help! https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/anecdotesofbigcats_53_wilson_128kb.mp3
So this new file will just replace the old file with the same name when I upload it, correct?
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Section 53 is PL OK :thumbs:

In answer to your question, yes, the new file usurps the place of the previous one, so long as the file name is exactly the same.

For the future, we don't encourage re-recording a file if it can be helped. It's double the amount of work for everyone. I realize that in this case, it was probably necessary. :D
LKJPeters

Post by LKJPeters »

I would like to claim chapter 16.
LisaKP
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LKJPeters wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:21 am I would like to claim chapter 16.
LisaKP
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

FYI: I'm sorry about the scrambled Magic Window, but I think I have everything back in the proper order, and have checked each file. We are getting close to finishing!
~ Larry