Upcoming 200th Anniversary of the Saturday Evening Post

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I'm a little more than a year early on this, but according to online sources, August 2021 is the 200th anniversary of "The Saturday Evening Post" It might be nice to celebrate the occasion in the LibriVox way by putting together a collection of copyright free Post articles, short stories, etc. Any interest in doing this?
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:12 am I'm a little more than a year early on this, but according to online sources, August 2021 is the 200th anniversary of "The Saturday Evening Post" It might be nice to celebrate the occasion in the LibriVox way by putting together a collection of copyright free Post articles, short stories, etc. Any interest in doing this?
I think it's a great idea. There is a great wealth of material in them.

But how would we go about it?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

KevinS wrote: August 17th, 2020, 7:20 pm
MaryinArkansas wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:12 am I'm a little more than a year early on this, but according to online sources, August 2021 is the 200th anniversary of "The Saturday Evening Post" It might be nice to celebrate the occasion in the LibriVox way by putting together a collection of copyright free Post articles, short stories, etc. Any interest in doing this?
I think it's a great idea. There is a great wealth of material in them.

But how would we go about it?
Good question. It would take a Book Coordinator, Readers, Proof Listener, etc. I’ve done proof listening and some recording, but that’s it. I’m sure Admin people could provide guidance...if there’s interest. The only idea I have for now is to record 20 items...one item for each decade. That number should be fairly easy to handle, or at least not overwhelming.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

First thing it would take is an online PD text source,
Anne :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:43 pm First thing it would take is an online PD text source,
Anne :D
Yes. Thankfully there are tons of scans on archive.org. Here's a sample from a very early issue: https://archive.org/details/the-saturday-evening-post-1821-09-29/page/n2/mode/1up
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:15 pm Good question. It would take a Book Coordinator, Readers, Proof Listener, etc. I’ve done proof listening and some recording, but that’s it. I’m sure Admin people could provide guidance...if there’s interest. The only idea I have for now is to record 20 items...one item for each decade. That number should be fairly easy to handle, or at least not overwhelming.
We'd only be able to go up to the 1920s, so we could perhaps do two selections from each decade available to us. Maybe one fiction selection and one non-fiction? I'm thinking out loud here, of course.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

KevinS wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm

We'd only be able to go up to the 1920s, so we could perhaps do two selections from each decade available to us. Maybe one fiction selection and one non-fiction? I'm thinking out loud here, of course.
That’s a good idea. It would be interesting to see the news and popular literature through the decades. When LibriVox put together collections for the WWI centenary I read some items by Irvin S. Cobb, who was a war correspondent for the Saturday Evening Post. Very interesting articles describing that war in Europe.

Several well known writers wrote for the Post.