Hi from Scotland

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Sakel

Post by Sakel »

Hi all,

I’ve been loving the work of all the volunteers here through listening to many classic books. I’m hoping I can do my bit to get more of the written word out there for mass public consumption.

Sama’an
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Welcome! We hope you like it here. Ask lots of questions. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Scotland. OMG. We need Scottish voices. Please post your 1 minute test, get your tech specs lined up, and with the luck of the Ir.......er, Scottish, you might be inundated with requests for pronunciations. advice, duets, etc.
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

Good to know there is a shortage of Scottish voices out there - I am waiting for my microphone delivery today - Thank you Amazon - then my Scottish voice will be out there - looking forward to rolling the R's and hopefully there is a chapter to read about the Scottish town of Ecclefechan ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclefechan
msfry

Post by msfry »

grant007love wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:42 pm Good to know there is a shortage of Scottish voices out there - I am waiting for my microphone delivery today - Thank you Amazon - then my Scottish voice will be out there - looking forward to rolling the R's and hopefully there is a chapter to read about the Scottish town of Ecclefechan ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecclefechan
I'll be watching for you. How's your Robert Burns? :D
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

msfry - growing up we had poems to learn and Burns was of course the bard of choice. Wee sleekit courin timerous beastie ! Love it!
msfry

Post by msfry »

grant007love wrote: August 11th, 2020, 11:16 am msfry - growing up we had poems to learn and Burns was of course the bard of choice. Wee sleekit courin timerous beastie ! Love it!
We have only one Scottish voice today that I know of, Horner94. He brings all sorts of interesting literature into the collections (I mean, stuff I've never heard of). I love Scottish author James Stephens so I've listened to all of his selections on LV . . . most recently The Insurrection in Dublin, read by iremonger, who has long since disappeared from LV . . . which led me to his recording of The Dead (my current listen), by James Joyce. I am having to slow down the tempo a bit in my podcast app to fully appreciate it.

I want my Robert Burns to read so it sounds Scottish but Americans can understand it without taking a class. Is that possible? :roll:
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

I am confident you know that there are so many accents in the UK; and Scotland has them sometimes different by the square mile!
As with Shakespeare, there may be words that will require a quick internet search to understand the meaning.
Quick example - I was born and raised in Dundee (east coast) and joined the police in Glasgow (west-coast) When I was getting into one of the police vehicles I made mention that the vehicle was "clorty" - as defined in Dundee as unkempt/unwashed. My police partner at the time looked puzzled and realized the Glasgow word was "clatty" - same meaning!
When learning and reading Burns at school we were always told to read s-l-o-w-l-y and enjoy it.
My favorite audio-books are read by James McPherson, Scottish actor who narrates the Scottish novelist Ian Rankin's character Detective John Rebus. James has a singing voice and accent and came to fame as an actor in the Scottish TV show Taggart. Unfortunately for Librivox, we have to wait a while for Ian Rankin's books to be in the public domain.
Good chatting - I have my microphone and getting to the 1 minute test and finding what is out there...
msfry

Post by msfry »

Please post notice here when you've posted your 1 minute test.
grant007love

Post by grant007love »

msfry wrote: September 16th, 2020, 6:47 am Please post notice here when you've posted your 1 minute test.
msfry - apologies - going through old posts and noted your last comment. 1 minute test is done and added a few stories in the past few weeks.
Take care,