[COMPLETE] Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection 01 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

ColleenMc wrote: July 25th, 2020, 11:27 am Here's mine:

Excerpt from Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery of Montreal by Maria Monk (1816-1849).

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/fffn01_awfuldisclosures_monk_cm_128kb.mp3

13:18

Source: https://archive.org/details/awfuldisclosure00slocgoog (excerpt is Chapter XI and begins at p. 97 of text/page 104 of PDF)

In this case, the author appears to have actually been a real person named Maria Monk; the fraud is that she published the text as a memoir when it was (obviously) made up out of whole cloth.

If you are curious, here's an interesting article about the publication and effect of the Maria Monk book in contributing to the nativism and anti-Catholic sentiments in the US at the time (1830s): https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/03/the-awful-disclosures-of-maria-monk-and-the-origins-of-the-paranoid-style.html

Colleen
Thank you Colleen! I'll get on to that soon!
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Adam,

It's now marked as PL OK in the Magic window, just wanted to confirm that it's all finished so I can mark it off on my tracker. Thanks!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

ColleenMc wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:37 am Hi Adam,

It's now marked as PL OK in the Magic window, just wanted to confirm that it's all finished so I can mark it off on my tracker. Thanks!

Colleen
Yep, all good! Sorry I forgot to post. PL Okay!
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

GregGiordano wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 8:06 pm I would like to post a recording I made of a section of "Famous Imposters" by Bram Stoker. I recorded the chapter entitled "The Hidden King." The book project is now abandoned. When I saw this collection I felt this chapter would fit right in if you agree. Please advise and I will edit the intro and outro to comply with the requirements of this project.

Thank you!

Greg
The criteria has since been expanded to include accounts of fraud, in addition fraudulent documents themselves. Feel free to post it here with a different intro and outro
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

PatrickLondon wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:41 pm I'll have a go at "Two London Hoaxes" from "Famous Impostors" by Bram Stoker:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51391/51391-h/51391-h.htm#A_TWO_LONDON_HOAXES

(Plenty of other stories there, if anyone's interested).

I was thinking of something on the Tichborne Claimant but I haven't yet found anything of the right length.

Or there's the Affair of the Diamond Necklace:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/20055/20055-h/20055-h.htm#h2-25
The criteria has since expanded to include secondary accounts of fraud, rather than just primary sources, if you would like to make such a selection.
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

dmusgrove wrote: May 17th, 2020, 12:00 pm Moon hoax! Moon hoax, please! May I please read the moon hoax?!?

*jumping up and down at my desk, arm waving frantically*

(meaning, Section 2)
Hi, still planning on getting to this since being added in May?
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

AdamBielka wrote: August 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm
GregGiordano wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 8:06 pm I would like to post a recording I made of a section of "Famous Imposters" by Bram Stoker. I recorded the chapter entitled "The Hidden King." The book project is now abandoned. When I saw this collection I felt this chapter would fit right in if you agree. Please advise and I will edit the intro and outro to comply with the requirements of this project.

Thank you!

Greg
The criteria has since been expanded to include accounts of fraud, in addition fraudulent documents themselves. Feel free to post it here with a different intro and outro
Thank you, Adam. I shall post it soon.

Take care,

Greg
ELDN

Post by ELDN »

Hello, I would love to record the (fake) story: Sketch of the Mosquito Coast, or at least the specified excerpt.
Thanks,
ELDN.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/fffn01_thehiddenking_stoker_gg_128kb.mp3

Run time is 21:26

Please note, the MW has an incorrect description in the NOTES section. Here is a suggested correction: "The Hidden King" from "Famous Imposters" by Bram Stoker - pp 17-30

Take care,

Greg
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

ELDN wrote: August 14th, 2020, 11:55 am Hello, I would love to record the (fake) story: Sketch of the Mosquito Coast, or at least the specified excerpt.
Thanks,
ELDN.
Sure I can put you down for that! Gregor McGregor has a crazy history as such an evil white-collar fraud ... he used this fake account to convince a massive amount of investors and settlers that a fake country called Poyais existed, a lot of people lost fortunes or their lives believing it was true.
Last edited by AdamBielka on August 22nd, 2020, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

GregGiordano wrote: August 15th, 2020, 7:22 am Here is Section 3:

Run time is 21:26

Please note, the MW has an incorrect description in the NOTES section. Here is a suggested correction: "The Hidden King" from "Famous Imposters" by Bram Stoker - pp 17-30

Take care,

Greg
Two minor errors that somewhat change the text meaning, not essential, but perhaps worth changing:

14:59 -"28th of July" instead of "20th of July'

17:57 - "at the oar" instead of "or the oar"
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is the corrected version of Section 3:

Run time is: 21:27

Take care,

Greg
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

dmusgrove wrote: May 17th, 2020, 12:00 pm Moon hoax! Moon hoax, please! May I please read the moon hoax?!?

*jumping up and down at my desk, arm waving frantically*

(meaning, Section 2)
Hello,

It's been some time since you registered for the Moon Hoax. Is it still on your to-do list?

-Adam
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

GregGiordano wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 12:45 am Here is the corrected version of Section 3:

Run time is: 21:27

Take care,

Greg
Great! PL OKAY!
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Lector1 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:05 pm I signed up to read "Lincoln the Lover", but something important just came up and I won't be able to do any LV work for a few months. I haven't gotten feedback on this recording yet, but I have until the end of the day tomorrow. If the file isn't good as is, please reassign it. I had fun with this. Sorry I can't do any more work on it!
Definitely more than just the odd error, there's quite a bit of repeated words. I'm only halfway through. Are you interested in coming back to this at some point if I post the corrections?