[COMPLETE] The Confessions of Nat Turner by Thomas R. Gray - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

I would like to read this book. It can be found here. https://archive.org/details/confessionsofnat00turn/page/4/mode/2up

I have just finished a project where I was working with Cheryl Turner as my PL. I'd like to request her again if she is willing. Mary Ann Spiegel was my MC.

Thank you,

Joel Kindrick
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Cheryl Stewart, my PL, my apologies. Not "Turner." Got the subject of this book mixed up with her name.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello, how about you coppy and fill in the template for solos? This way, an mc and dpl can pick up the project. Also, you can send private messages to the mc and dpl of your choice and ask them if they are willing to help you.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

I'd love to. How about you tell me how to do that. Been a long time since I've done something like that and I don't know where to start. So introduce me to what a template is.

Joel
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, please go to the new project's forum, there are locked threads on top. There is a thread called "want to start a solo recording"? They give all the instructions. Let me know if you cannot find it.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Interesting. That is exactly how I got here. That is why the title is a such.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Please go over the template in the thread, fill it in, and coppy.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Got it. Thank you. Hopefully I'm doing this right now. I will now paste the template here.
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA. by Thomas R. Gray (1800 - 0).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-confessions-of-nat-turner-the-leader-of-the-late-insurrection-in-southampton-va-by-thomas-r-gray/
This is a detailed description of the massacre that took place on August 21-23, 1831 that became known as Nat Turner's Rebellion. Nat Turner himself relates the events to the author from his jail cell in November of 1831 just days before he is hanged for his crimes. ( Joel Kindrick)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15333/15333-h/15333-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: sLFrtnP7

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Thomas R. Gray) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Ruffin_Gray

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): There is no Wikipedia entry
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1831
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Joel Kindrick Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: www.joelkindrick.com
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History ; *Non-fiction/True Crime

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, murder, rebellion, real-life

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA.. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA., by Thomas R. Gray. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA. by Thomas R. Gray. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA., by Thomas R. Gray. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename confessionsofnatturner_##_gray_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. confessionsofnatturner_01_gray_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Thomas R. Gray
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Confessions of Nat Turner, The Leader of the Late Insurrection in Southampton VA.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Looks great.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I would like to PL this project please :D
Cheryls
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Yea! Cool. Thank you, Cheryl. Well, all of the recording is done. Two sections are now edited. Working on the third section now. In other words, I'm ready to start uploading when it all gets set up.

Joel
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you, and Cheryl is in as DPL! I will move us as soon as I know that everyone has seen what I have done!

I have shortened your file name, they don't need to be that long. Also, I have a suggestion. At PG, they have Nat Turner are the author, but Thomas R. Gray as the compiler. Maybe you should add to your intro, "compiled by Thomas R. Gray." It is fine to do it that way, there are many projects that have the editor noted that way, and I think this falls into that category.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jkindrick

Post by jkindrick »

Hi Ann,

Thank you for setting this up. Yes, I see what you are saying about Nat Turner being the author and Thomas R. Gray being the transcriber or editor. I see the first chapter (section 2) as being basically the editors notes and then the second chapter (section 3) being what Turner dictated. So I will change what I have in my intro to say, "by Nat Turner as compiled by Thomas R. Gray."

The zero section is not long as it is the reading of the title page, but I feel there is important information that should be said here.

The first section is the preface.

Joel
Last edited by jkindrick on August 10th, 2020, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.