[COMPLETE] The Tenth Clew and Other Continental Op Stories by Dashiell Hammett (1894 - 1961) -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 3 is finally up, containing what is possibly one of Hammett's greatest lines, "But you can't throw a brass cuspidor through a glass door into California Street between Montgomery and Kearny without attracting attention..." :D

I've decided to shorten this solo and tackle the three novellas separately.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Sorry for being so slow on this--but section 3 is PL OK! Really enjoying these.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 4 is up. Who's the most dangerous, the red haired she devil, the ugly man or the sinister oriental? Only the Op knows for sure!
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Cool! I have a bit of a PL backlog at the moment but will DEFINITELY get to this faster than the last chapter. :oops: I’ve finally been reading my first Raymond Chandler/ Marlowe novel after hearing how great he is for years, so I’m definitely in good Hammett headspace!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

No rush, Colleen. I'm taking my time cranking them out but will probably have the last two stories uploaded in the next couple of months. Regarding Chandler and Hammett, I thought you might be interested in this photo of what may have been the only time they met: https://thrillingdetective.wordpress.com/2018/08/10/the-real-black-mask-boys/. They definitely were the kings of hardboiled crime fiction!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I saw that! I’ve been reading the annotated edition of The Big Sleep which has that and a lot of other background material. I’ve been reading a chapter at a time of the story, then all the notes for each chapter. It’s great!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 5 is up. The end is in sight! :D
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 4 is PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 5 is PL OK! That one had some twists!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 6 is up, Colleen. It's relatively short, so hopefully won't be so hard to PL as some of the others. The past few months have been quite a ride, what with Covid, our California wildfires, and one of the crazier political times I can remember. Real life almost makes Hammett's stories tame by comparison! :shock:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I know! I just keep thinking of our forbears who got through WWI-pandemic-great depression-WWII some kinda way. We can do it!

But I've had to stop beating myself up with "shoulds" -- I should be doing more this or more that. I do a bit to bring in some money writing, a bit to bring in some money dogsitting, but I'm not pushing hard on either, I've let my own writing projects rest for now. I kept telling msyelf I should try to find some volunteer work I can do by computer or online, do more do more....then Jan pointed out the other day that Librivox, which I love doing and which I've been doing more of as an activity that makes me feel happy and productive during lockdown, IS volunteer work and there are people who need it even if it's not the same sort of in your face thing as campaign volunteering or helping with schools. And it's something I have the energy and enthusiasm for to overcome the inertia so I'm embracing it instead of feeling guilty that I "should" be doing something more profitable or significant...it's what I can do and what I like doing and what feeds my soul right now, so there it is!

BTW if you ever get a chance, you should try to join in on the Zoom meetups that have been going on weekly on Sundays, they are both informative and fun and it only increases my own motivation to have faces to go with the names in the forums.

Looking forward to this last chapter listen -- I'm SO excited that as the 1920s copyright free years keep rolling forward we are going to get more and more hard boiled mystery stuff!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Who Killed Bob Teal is PL oK!
(Poor ol Bob!)

And we are done! Hope you will let me know when you start on the remaining ones, I enjoy the stories and your reading!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Glad you like them, Colleen. Thanks, and you're definitely the designated Continental Op PLer! I'll get started on the three novellas just as soon as I remember where I put my fedora. :hmm:

Winston
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Winston,

Just letting you know I haven't forgotten about this. Archive.org is taking its sweet time deriving the details page.
Jo
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks for the heads up, Jo, and many thanks for being MC on this project. You MCs don't get the attention you deserve--without you, we readers would just be files on our computers! :clap:

Winston