[Complete] The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism by Clayton Hamilton - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism by Clayton Hamilton (1881 - 1946).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-theory-of-the-theatre-and-other-principles-of-dramatic-criticism-by-clayton-hamilton/
A collection of essays by American critic Clayton Hamilton concerning theatre & dramatic practices, and the criticism thereof, from an early 20th century perspective. (Summary by Andrew Gaunce)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13589
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Clayton Hamilton) : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Hamilton_(critic)
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1910
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Performing Arts; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: criticism, theatre, theatre criticism, dramatic arts

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism, by Clayton Hamilton. [Chapter]"

Note Regarding Chapter Names & Numbering:

For this project, please use the chapter numbers as they appear in the MW. For example, the section titled "Dramatic Art and the Theatre Business" should be read as The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism, by Clayton Hamilton. Chapter 10: Dramatic Art and the Theatre Business

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Theory of the Theatre, and Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism, by Clayton Hamilton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    theoryofthetheatre_##_hamilton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. theoryofthetheatre_01_hamilton_128kb.mp3)

(Please be mindful of the spelling when saving files - theatRE, not theatER)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by OooThatsNifty on November 14th, 2020, 10:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

This will be my first attempt at coordinating a project, but I feel like I'm ready to give it a go. Plus I'd really like to see this one in the catalogue - it's a pretty interesting little time capsule.

I've read and reread all the relevant Wiki articles before posting, but Lord knows I've been known to miss a thing or two. If I've made any glaring errors here please let me know.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
Don't worry about being new to BCing... I can walk you through it 8-)
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Lynnet wrote: August 9th, 2020, 12:36 pm I will set this up for you.
Don't worry about being new to BCing... I can walk you through it 8-)
Hooray! Thanks very much - I'll try not to be too much of a burden :wink:

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, you have a MW :thumbs:
I have added you to the list of BCs. I see you are already listed as a DPL, so I expect you know how to get into the MW. If you need a refresher, just ask 8-)

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:

Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing... I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, but in this case, I wouldn't as it's is nice and short.

As for populating the MW, I imagine you haven't done that yet...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing.

When a reader volunteers, go to the "Assign Reader Section" tab. You will find one of the big frustrations of LV... you have to select the reader from a drop-down menu, but often you will find the name disappears before you can click on it. Also, if you type "a", you will get all the readers with an 'a' in their name :roll: Obviously, typing more letters reduces the options, but you may find you get no hits, so start deleting letters until you get a list. Then click on the name. Adding section numbers is easy in comparison :lol: but remember to click on 'add' -- oh yes, if someone asks for multiple sections, you can type "04, 05, 06" or "04-06". I always add the date to the notes column. The status will automatically change to "assigned".

It is a good idea -- but not required -- to add word counts. It can be tedious doing that, but gives potential readers an idea of what they are letting themselves in for 8-)
There may be other and simpler ways, but my preferred method is to open GoogleDocs, paste a chapter in and use the word count tool. You then delete that chapter and do the same with the next etc. When you enter anything in the notes column, you have to click on "save".

When files start coming in, you copy and paste the link into the "Listen URL" column and add the time to the notes column. You will need to edit the status to say "Ready for PL".

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Excellent! Many thanks for getting a start on the section titles for me - I'll fill in the rest later on this evening.

I did actually already have a small question on that front - you may have noticed that the book is split in two sections: Theory of the Theatre, followed by Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism, with the chapter numbers resetting at the separation. Is there anything I should do while setting this up to differentiate between two parts?

I haven't actually DPL'd anything yet so this will be my first foray into updating the MW, but the info about it on the Wiki seems pretty straightforward. I'll certainly let you know if I run into any trouble. I was originally planning to DPL this one myself to get some practice, but if you'd recommend having someone seperate I certainly wouldn't turn down the help.

I thought the id tag bit seemed a little odd - I'll tidy that up straight away.

Thanks again!!

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OooThatsNifty wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm Excellent! Many thanks for getting a start on the section titles for me - I'll fill in the rest later on this evening.

I did actually already have a small question on that front - you may have noticed that the book is split in two sections: Theory of the Theatre, followed by Other Principles of Dramatic Criticism, with the chapter numbers resetting at the separation. Is there anything I should do while setting this up to differentiate between two parts?

I haven't actually DPL'd anything yet so this will be my first foray into updating the MW, but the info about it on the Wiki seems pretty straightforward. I'll certainly let you know if I run into any trouble. I was originally planning to DPL this one myself to get some practice, but if you'd recommend having someone seperate I certainly wouldn't turn down the help.

I thought the id tag bit seemed a little odd - I'll tidy that up straight away.

Thanks again!!
You have 2 choices regarding the different sections...
1. Add “Book 1” or “Part 1” to the first section etc., so the reader of that section announces that is what follows.
2. Ignore the different parts and just use the chapter names and section numbers.

I have seen it where the reader of each section announces “book 1, chapter 6” etc., which I suppose is a third option, but I think that is cumbersome.

As for DPL, it’s entirely your choice. Some people don’t like PLing, so get someone else. Others like to have full control :lol: That said, you can’t PL any sections you record yourself (don’t worry, I don’t mind PLing a few 8-) )
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

If you haven’t used the MW yet, you may have trouble getting in...
Here are the instructions I give to first time BCs and DPLs:

It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” 
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system. 
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login 
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this: 
You don't have permissions for this area. 
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage 
Logout 
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password. 

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Looks like I'm all set in terms of signing in and getting started - but I'm realizing now that I miscounted the sections. Or, more accurately, I forgot about counting the preface :oops:

When you get a chance could you add one more? Should in fact be 23 total, not 22.

And thanks for clarifying how to separate the two "books". I've decided to assign those sections to myself just to avoid confusion (my own, mostly)

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

In the MW, you will see an “add section” tab. You can add as many as you want. They will automatically be added to the bottom, but you can drag them to where you want them. You won’t be able to delete unwanted sections (say, you realized you needed only 20 sections), but I can do that if necessary.
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Lynnet wrote: August 9th, 2020, 4:58 pm In the MW, you will see an “add section” tab. You can add as many as you want. They will automatically be added to the bottom, but you can drag them to where you want them. You won’t be able to delete unwanted sections (say, you realized you needed only 20 sections), but I can do that if necessary.
Understood & taken care of - thanks again!

Fairly certain that means the MW is good to go now :D

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We’ll leave Leave it on the Launch Pad for now, then tomorrow we’ll move to Readers Wanted :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read sections 5 and 18?

Thanks, Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

ToddHW wrote: August 9th, 2020, 7:00 pm May I read sections 5 and 18?

Thanks, Todd
You certainly may! Thanks!

thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi,
Could I read 13, 14, 19 and 21?
:D
I'm expecting to learn from this one!