[COMPLETE] As You Like It by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

As You Like It (version 3) by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/as-you-like-it-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/
Long theorized to be one of Shakespeare's mid-career works, <i>As You Like It</i> remains an evergreen favorite for audiences and scholars alike for its sparkling characters, pastoral setting, gorgeous prose and entertaining storylines that converge in fun and surprising ways. When several characters, including an elderly French duke, his headstrong daughter Rosalind, and Rosalind's handsome love interest Orlando, are forced to flee the kingdom and take refuge in the neighboring Forest of Arden, their adventures therein lead to a series of amusing encounters and mix-ups. Genders are reversed, courtships are developed, attractions are left unrequited, and the action reflected upon by the likes of witty fools and discontented courtiers. Who will end up with whom? Who will be left in the lurch? And will the pastoral chaos in Arden reach a satisfying resolution? You'll have to listen to find out!<br><br>And to perform it all? Three men (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/11305">Craig Franklin</a>, <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10789">Tomas Peter</a>, and <a href="https://librivox.org/reader/9905">Brad "Hamlet" Filippone</a>) and one woman (<a href="https://librivox.org/reader/10179">Sonia</a>), determined to give you a performance of Shakespeare's work that you will never forget. You thought you knew your Shakespeare? Well, think again! ( Tomas Peter)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1523
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of As You Like It by William Shakespeare. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    asyoulikeit_[role]_[#]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where the first # is the act number and the second # is the scene number (e.g. asyoulikeit_rosalind_1_2.mp3)

For the final acts, save files as: asyoulikeit_[#]_shakespeare_128kb, where the # is the act number (e.g. asyoulikeit_1_shakespeare_128kb).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Checking in! And here, as promised, is the First Page's part.

I'll wait until the MW is up before doing any more parts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/asyoulikeit_firstpage_5_3.mp3

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah you already launched it Tomas. Ok, here's your MW. I took the liberty to give you 40 sections instead of the desired 25, because I felt that was a low count for all the scenes and roles we want to put in seperately :? And it's easier to delete sections than to insert them in case I was wrong.

Oh and this time, guys, I hope I get a bit more help with the editing process of the finished scenes/acts. I had to do more than my share alone last time. It should also stay a group project in the editing phase. Once the MW is fully filled out, I would prefer to assign the scenes for editing already, so that everybody has their share.

Moving this to readers found straight away. I hope you are all well and ready for this adventure :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks Sonia! In the end I only needed 4 extra spaces, so you'll have a bit of deleting to do, but everything is now prepared and ready. I also put in spaces to assign editors for each scene, so we can claim those now, too.

That means we can start recording and handing in files, everyone! Have fun! :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I'm more than willing to edit, and I wanted to. I didn't check the room at the right times, I guess, and then suddenly the project was finished.

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I went ahead and preclaimed a few scenes to edit. Everyone is welcome to do the same (just no hogging all the shorties---everyone should have the opportunity to edit at least one short scene!)
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

For some reason, the link to the YouTube file in the MW isn't working for me.

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

You'll need to right click and open the link in a new tab. I don't think the Magic Window can navigate away to non-Librivox websites.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 8th, 2020, 3:06 pmAnd here, as promised, is the First Page's part.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/asyoulikeit_firstpage_5_3.mp3
excellent singing, Brad :clap: well done and the page is all PL ok. Our first part is in the box !

bizarre...it was already marked as PL ok in the MW :hmm: Tomas, did you PL it already ?

We're off to a good start.

thank you

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

A couple of points I've thought about.

First of all, a pronunciation thing--but not of a character name. In 2_5 when Jaques invents a third voice for Amiens' song, at one point he says, "Ducdame, ducdame, ducdame." I'm pronouncing this word as three syllables, as it usually is in performance, as it replaces Amiens' "Come hither.' I only mention this because Sonia as Amiens needs to say it in the next line.

The other point is a casting point which I just realized today. "Second Lord" is one of my characters and "First Lord" is one of Sonia's. Looking over the MW I see we are listed as playing these characters in 2_1 and 2_2. The problem here is that the lords in the first scene are Duke Senior's Lords and the lords in the second scene are Duke Frederick's Lords. They are different characters. Note that the Dramatis Personae states, "Lords belonging to the two Dukes." We could keep the casting the way it is, but in that case, how do we read those parts in our personal Dramatis Personae files? Would I say, "Duke Senior's Second Lord" as separate from "Duke Frederick's Second Lord" for example?

Brad
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hamlet wrote: August 10th, 2020, 9:02 pm First of all, a pronunciation thing--but not of a character name. In 2_5 when Jaques invents a third voice for Amiens' song, at one point he says, "Ducdame, ducdame, ducdame." I'm pronouncing this word as three syllables, as it usually is in performance, as it replaces Amiens' "Come hither.' I only mention this because Sonia as Amiens needs to say it in the next line.
If it's usually pronounced with three syllables, we can do that, as well. I'm assuming it's something like "duke-dah-mee"?
The other point is a casting point which I just realized today. "Second Lord" is one of my characters and "First Lord" is one of Sonia's. Looking over the MW I see we are listed as playing these characters in 2_1 and 2_2. The problem here is that the lords in the first scene are Duke Senior's Lords and the lords in the second scene are Duke Frederick's Lords. They are different characters. Note that the Dramatis Personae states, "Lords belonging to the two Dukes." We could keep the casting the way it is, but in that case, how do we read those parts in our personal Dramatis Personae files? Would I say, "Duke Senior's Second Lord" as separate from "Duke Frederick's Second Lord" for example?
Argh, I didn't consider that. You're right, they must be different characters. Let's keep the casting the way it is, and add the duke's name beside each lord for the Dramatis Personae. I'll amend the MW to reflect these changes.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I went ahead and recorded the Dramatis Personae and narrator files to start us off! They're now ready to PL. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

How does one claim a scene for editing? I somehow managed to miss all the editing for Richard II so I'd like to claim some early in this one. I'm willing to tackle the big scenes, like 3_2 or 5_4. :) Or any other scene that's offered to me!

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: August 13th, 2020, 5:36 amHow does one claim a scene for editing? I somehow managed to miss all the editing for Richard II so I'd like to claim some early in this one. I'm willing to tackle the big scenes, like 3_2 or 5_4. :) Or any other scene that's offered to me!
by my count there are 24 scenes (including voice credits and epilogue). So to share equally, it would be good if each of us could volunteer for 6 scenes. Small ones and also some big ones at least.

I will PL all the scenes apart from those I edit myself, so I would need someone to PL mine.

Tomas will massage all the edited scenes in a final stage when he assembles the 5 acts and I will PL those one final time.

Just tell me which scenes you want to have assigned, so far most of them are still free. I go and mark you down for 3.2. (5.4. is already claimed by Tomas). You can see the editor's name in the MW

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Okay, I'll also take 1_2 which is another big scene.

For smaller scenes, I'll take 2_4, 2_6, 3_3, and 5_2 please. :)

Brad