[COMPLETE] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Meetali10

Post by Meetali10 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 1st, 2020, 12:12 pm
Meetali10 wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:49 pm Hello!

May this message finds you well. Would you please help me in regards to how things work in reading the play? So if I suppose choose Aladdin as my character and if I choose to read act 1 so I have to record the parts of Aladdin only? Am I right? Please help me with the procedure? And yeah I am interested in taking up Aladdin as my character role.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Warm regards
Meetali
Welcome! I'm glad you've found your way to this project. :D It looks like this would be your first role in a play or dramatic reading, is that right? They are a lot of fun, but can be a bit confusing at first.

For projects like these, you would read only the lines that belong to your character. In between each line, you'll leave 3-5 seconds of silence so that the editor (in this case, me) can easily snip your lines apart and arrange them in the right order with the other characters. (This includes leaving 3-5 seconds for stage directions, if your line is ever interrupted by stage directions.) This is your opportunity to be a bit more dramatic with your reading. You don't have to read the whole play, but it's a good idea to read at least the lines just before and after your own lines, so that you know how to best "react." If the stage directions give any cues like "he laughs," "he gives a cry of anger," etc, you are free to record your own laugh or angry cry or whatever, although you don't have to. I may not always be able to use these little effects, but if I can, I will!

I am happy to have you read Aladdin! I'll warn you, though, that you are in for quite a lot of recording. As the main character, he appears in every act and has quite a lot to say. I wouldn't be surprised if the role of Aladdin ends up being around 3 hours of finished recording in all, meaning that it will take you 2-3 times that long to record and edit. If you are up to the challenge, then I will go ahead and assign the role to you. If you'd rather have a smaller role for your first dramatic reading, that's ok too. Please let me know!
Hey Devorah,

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes this will be my first dramatic reading and very excited for the read! Yes, since Aladdin is the main character there will be lot of recording and am up for this mind blowing challenge! Devorah, would you please help me with some instructions in regards to the read and recording for example, as you have mentioned that I have to leave 3-5 seconds after every line which seems very helpful(for the editor) so, any other set of instructions you have for me? and in regards to stage direction, do I have to leave another set of seconds as well apart from leaving 3-5 seconds? and one more doubt I have is taking up a character implies you are the part of all the acts right? For example as I am interested to take up Aladdin so I will be part of all the acts? One another query is that do I also have to mention act X scene Y or so while reading the character dialogues or just have to record the dialogues?

Sorry for so many queries!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Warm regards
Meetali
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great, glad to hear you are up for the challenge!

You don't need to leave more room for stage directions than you would for any other pause, just treat them the same as if it was another character's line.

Yes, when you claim a part, you'll submit a file for each act on which they appear. For Aladdin, this means 10 separate recordings. On the other hand, the person who claims Saladin will only submit recordings for Acts 2 and 3.

And no, you do not need to read the act number or the LV disclaimer. This will be read by our narrator. You should, however, remember to include your voice credit, preferably at the beginning of your first submission, so I can find it easily: "Aladdin, read by [your name]."

I hope that helps answer your questions. I'm sure you'll catch on quite well! :D

I'll assign you these sections tomorrow. I'm on my way to bed now.
Meetali10

Post by Meetali10 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 1st, 2020, 11:51 pm Great, glad to hear you are up for the challenge!

You don't need to leave more room for stage directions than you would for any other pause, just treat them the same as if it was another character's line.

Yes, when you claim a part, you'll submit a file for each act on which they appear. For Aladdin, this means 10 separate recordings. On the other hand, the person who claims Saladin will only submit recordings for Acts 2 and 3.

And no, you do not need to read the act number or the LV disclaimer. This will be read by our narrator. You should, however, remember to include your voice credit, preferably at the beginning of your first submission, so I can find it easily: "Aladdin, read by [your name]."

I hope that helps answer your questions. I'm sure you'll catch on quite well! :D

I'll assign you these sections tomorrow. I'm on my way to bed now.
Dear Devorah,

Thank you for your response. It is very helpful. Looking forward to!

Thank you!

Warm regards
Meetali
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well Devorah,

I am finally back with the corrected Chapter 1. Hope it passes :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_01_128kb.mp3

Time 9:05

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

And here is Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_01_128kb.mp3

Time: 13:56.

I now have a question. If there are no character's lines between the stage direction of one character and the next character's 'direction' then lines, does there have to be the five second delay between them. For example after character "A" has the stage direction "Exit" character "B" starts "George (rises from chair) Why did you come here?". Can/should I just continue with character "B"' name and stage direction without the delay? I hope the question is clear. Example in this play, bottom of page 57 and top of page 58. It just seems that that would also cut down on your work. As we all know I am a Rookie at this play stuff on LV. :D

Wayne

Edit: I obviously sent you the wrong file. The correct one will be up shortly. :oops:
Last edited by Kalamareader on August 4th, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great question, Wayne, and your intuition is correct! If there's nothing else happening between those two stage directions, then you don't need to leave a pause. :thumbs: And yes, it would indeed make my job easier! :D
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Correct Chapter file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_02_128kb.mp3

Time: 13:56 (at least I got that part right.)

Thanks for the info, and if there is anything else I can do differently that will make your job easier (besides doing it so you don't have to have me correct stuff), just let me know. I here to try and do my job correctly and make yours as easy as I can. :D

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Devorah,

At least this time I sent the correct file, but gave it the wrong name. It went up the first time as "preface", but here it is correctly named as "00". At least I think I caught this before you had to write me to tell me I was wrong (I hope!). :roll:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_00_128kb.mp3

Time: 6:29

Wayne :oops:
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Wayne. For DRs and plays, the file name isn't really that crucial until we get to the final edited piece. :) It would have worked either way. I appreciate it! I probably won't get to PLing these until tomorrow.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Last edited by Kalamareader on August 4th, 2020, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Ealswythe »

I'll take the First Fairy, if it's still open. :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Devorah,

I just took a look at the MW and I think there is a slight error in the listings of the Narrators sections. As of right now, Sections 00 through 5 have been uploaded, as well as Preface and Acts 1-5.

Wayne

Edit: I have another question. As I am proceeding into Part 2, how should I name the Acts? Part 2 Act 1 etc. or Part Act 6?

Wayne
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ealswythe wrote: August 5th, 2020, 1:12 pm I'll take the First Fairy, if it's still open. :D
All yours, thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: August 5th, 2020, 3:26 pm Devorah,

I just took a look at the MW and I think there is a slight error in the listings of the Narrators sections. As of right now, Sections 00 through 5 have been uploaded, as well as Preface and Acts 1-5.

Wayne

Edit: I have another question. As I am proceeding into Part 2, how should I name the Acts? Part 2 Act 1 etc. or Part Act 6?

Wayne
No, there is no error. What's probably throwing you off is that I am moving sections around after they are PL ok. So you don't see Part 1 Act 1 listed with the rest of your assignments, because it's already way down at the bottom of the MW with the PL ok sections.

I'd like you to read them as Part 2, Act 1, 2, 3, etc. But name the files as 06, 07, 08, etc. :)

I'll listen to some of these now.