COMPLETE[PLAY]The Torch-Bearers by George Kelly - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Everything is done and ready for final PL'ing pleasure.

I think you all sound great together in this madcap farce!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Whew! I just listened to all of act 1! :mrgreen: It all sounds great! My suggestions all have to do with placement of the "together" lines. Overall, I loved how you handled them, but I think switching around a couple would flow better.

Act 1, part 1.

0:59 Minor, certainly, but there is an audible mouse click here. (It's probably just me, but these drive me crazy. :roll: )

Act 1, part 2.

37:26 For this "together" bit between Mrs. Pampinelli and Mrs. Fell, I think it might be more effective to switch the two of them, so that we hear Mrs. Fell first. Then Mrs. Pampinelli can continue straight on with the next line.
38:05 For this "together" moment, of course, I don't think we can get away with really having all four speaking at once, but I think it would be nice to at least have them overlapping a bit, one person speaking before the last one is finished, you know? The stage directions here aren't crucial, and I think we can afford to cut them if needed in order to get the effect of everyone talking over each other. Otherwise, Mrs. Pampinelli scolding them all for all talking at once doesn't make much sense.

Act 1, part 3.

10:18 Hossefrosse's "Don't mention it" is, I think, in response to Mrs. Ritter's line: "And you too, Mr. Hossefrosse," and if so, then we need to hear her line first. I suggest splitting his line, leaving the first part where it is, and inserting Mrs. Ritter right here, after he turns to look behind him.
27:37 I think I would put Mrs. Ritter's line last in this group of "together" speeches. That way, Mrs. Pampinelli's response sounds more natural. It also means Florence's line can continue on from what she'd just been saying.

I'll take a break and try to finish act 2 tonight.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Good suggestions all. Fixed and ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Excellent, Todd! I love how you've stacked the lines in a few places here. I have only one suggestion for a cut.

18:27 "Florence, beyond the flats" can easily be cut here. There has only been one line since she spoke last, so it seems unnecessary.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Fixed, ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

PL ok! :clap:

This was a fun one! Congratulations to all involved!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Cataloging....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-torch-bearers-by-george-kelly/

Thank you all! Note that more George Kelly is also running!

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Can't wait to listen to this one. :D

Thanks, Todd and Devorah!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Fantastic!

Just shy of FIVE HOURS. :shock:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

yes, this would have been a "pack-a-lunch" play to see when it was in the theatres.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I would love to see a production of this play. It would be long, but certainly not 5 hours long. So much of the comedy takes more time to narrate than to enact.