COMPLETE[PLAY]The Birth of Merlin by Shakespeare and Rowley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: August 4th, 2020, 2:31 pmAurelius, Act 1, duration 8:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_aurelius_1_128kb.mp3
wow a great regal performance, Mike, thank you so much. :clap: I love it when you switch your voice to a bit more of a lascivious tone once you see Artesia :lol: it's clear to know what he wants now :mrgreen: totally smitten. Let's see whether she is good for him or not.

I have a few small edits to suggest though:

> at 2:40: (p. 353) "and in the offer made by the Saxon" - you say "other"

> at 5:14: (p. 354) "thou dotest and looking on thine defects" - you say "doe-est" (it's the old spelling of "doting") and "defense" instead of "defects"

> oh yes, and I almost forgot: your volume is quite loud (over 93.5 dB). Therefore some clipping has occured, which should be avoided to prevent distortion of sound. Could you decrease the volume by -3 maybe ? Best toggle your mic input volume to lower, or step away from the mic a little bit while recording.

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

VocalPenguin wrote: August 4th, 2020, 3:55 pmThis looks like fun! Mind if I take on Donobert for Act I? I can probably do the rest of the acts as well, but this will be my first reading here so I don't want to overcommit upfront.
hey there, so we see each other again. I remember I reviewed your one-minute-test a while ago. :thumbs:

It is very laudable that you don't want to over-commit. However, in our drama plays, you either have to take the entire role in all the acts, or you have to choose another part that maybe only appears in one act. We keep the same voice for the same role for the entire play, so that the audience won't be puzzled.

Please let us know whether you want to commit to Donobert for all 4 acts, or whether you prefer to start with a smaller role.

To give you an idea what you need to do for the drama parts, here is a short summary I wrote up a while ago for the special rules for drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Donobert, a Nobleman, and Father to Constantia and Modestia, read by VocalPenguin" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, but it would be good to read the scenes you are in and read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

that's it, now you can assess whether you want to start with a bigger or smaller role.

And please let us know what reader name you want to go by (forum name, or real name, or other pseudonym). That way I can open your personal reader page for you and assign you the role officially.

Have fun ! And welcome to the drama group.

Sonia
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

Kitty wrote: August 5th, 2020, 5:35 am
VocalPenguin wrote: August 4th, 2020, 3:55 pmThis looks like fun! Mind if I take on Donobert for Act I? I can probably do the rest of the acts as well, but this will be my first reading here so I don't want to overcommit upfront.
hey there, so we see each other again. I remember I reviewed your one-minute-test a while ago. :thumbs:

It is very laudable that you don't want to over-commit. However, in our drama plays, you either have to take the entire role in all the acts, or you have to choose another part that maybe only appears in one act. We keep the same voice for the same role for the entire play, so that the audience won't be puzzled.

Please let us know whether you want to commit to Donobert for all 4 acts, or whether you prefer to start with a smaller role.

To give you an idea what you need to do for the drama parts, here is a short summary I wrote up a while ago for the special rules for drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Donobert, a Nobleman, and Father to Constantia and Modestia, read by VocalPenguin" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, but it would be good to read the scenes you are in and read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

that's it, now you can assess whether you want to start with a bigger or smaller role.

And please let us know what reader name you want to go by (forum name, or real name, or other pseudonym). That way I can open your personal reader page for you and assign you the role officially.

Have fun ! And welcome to the drama group.

Sonia
That all makes sense. Thanks so much for all the information!

I can commit to doing all 4 acts of Donobert, and I shall use my forum name of `VocalPenguin` as my reader name while doing so. :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

VocalPenguin wrote: August 5th, 2020, 6:53 amThat all makes sense. Thanks so much for all the information!
I can commit to doing all 4 acts of Donobert, and I shall use my forum name of `VocalPenguin` as my reader name while doing so. :D
super, thank you, you are now officially signed up and here is your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14768 you can find all the projects you participate in listed here.

Now have fun recording Donobert ! Maybe as a suggestion, I would say, record one act and post it already here, so I can give you feedback on that one. That way you can avoid mistakes in the next acts, if there are any ;)

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

I'll take Modestia. I notice that she introduces herself in Act 1 as "Modesta" and a further search for her name in the script shows her name as "Modesta". For some reason, the script only spells her name Modestia in Act 1.
Thank you!
:D :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. May those be the only typos in the script....

Todd
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Thanks for the feedback, Sonia.

Aurelius (corrected), Act 1, duration 8:44

Mike
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Artesia?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: August 5th, 2020, 1:59 pmAurelius (corrected), Act 1, duration 8:44
excellent corrections and now PL ok. Thank you, Mike, looking forward to the rest

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: August 5th, 2020, 8:44 pmMay I claim Artesia?
ah you'll be the honeytrap for ending this war ;) have fun, and thank you !

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I read the The Earl of Gloster?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 31st, 2020, 5:28 am first roles in ! Here is Merlin's mum ! The poor woman spends the first acts looking desperately for the father of her child...in the end she didn't get what she bargained for :? gave me a cool opportunity to be dramatic in the final act though :lol: Also I'm not always too sweet with you, brother, so take care how you talk to me ! :evil:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:57 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:05 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:29 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:40 min.

Sonia
Wonderfully done. I wonder if they started the play off with you having three pillows stuffed under your tunic to explain Merlin being born full grown - probably at least 2 feet taller than you. (I am, so far, picturing Clown as also being a plump round butterball. As I read him, I'll see if I adjust my thinking...)

Acts 2, 4, and 5 are PL OK.

Act 3
@0:45 missing line "Yes, sir, and I desire but Marriage" - an important line considering your condition!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 7th, 2020, 8:19 amI wonder if they started the play off with you having three pillows stuffed under your tunic to explain Merlin being born full grown - probably at least 2 feet taller than you.
the thought ! :? but yes, I guess one or two pillows would have been a must :lol:
I am, so far, picturing Clown as also being a plump round butterball
I can lend you some pillows to practice :mrgreen:
Act 3
@0:45 missing line "Yes, sir, and I desire but Marriage" - an important line considering your condition!
right you are...but if all else fails, I'm sure we can always rely on our loving brother to take care of mother and child :roll:

Here's the added line:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:09 min.

thanks for the feedback !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Well pleaded. PL OK now.

Thanks, Todd
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »