COMPLETE[PLAY]Sweet Lavender by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:52 pmMr Wedderburn - the cad - is ready for PL.
yes indeed, I don't think he deserves that everybody is so kind to him ! :evil: As they say: prode comes before the fall...now when he is down he remembers Ruth. I think she goes to easy on him.

Anyway, you play him wonderfully, especially in the final act, when he is broken by illness and worries. :thumbs: Loved it !

Act 2 is PL ok.

One small note for Act 3:

> at 8:13: (p. 183) "for in this overgrown tangle" – you say "undergrown" (is that a word ? :hmm: )

thank you

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Overgrown now. In place of undergrowth, I guess....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: July 21st, 2020, 5:38 am Overgrown now. In place of undergrowth, I guess....
and PL ok now, thanks :)

Sonia
Karsus

Post by Karsus »

I plan on Act Three coming within a week. Enjoy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sweetlavender_clementhale_2_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Karsus wrote: July 27th, 2020, 12:52 pmI plan on Act Three coming within a week. Enjoy.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sweetlavender_clementhale_2_128kb.mp3
ah boyish Clement is back in town :9: I really love this performance, thank you so much. He is endearingly lovable, especially when he is exasperated :lol:

I have a few notes still to add here:

> for the voice credit we use the standard "read by", not "played by", but you have it correct in act 1, so this correction is optional

> at about 3:07: (p. 66) missed line: "I beg your pardon"

> from 3:54-4:00: (p. 69) we only need twice "Dick", you have three, you can cut out the one you like least ;)

> at about 10:08: (p. 120) missed line "Father"

> at 10:11: "end of act 2" can be cut, this is done by the narrator

thank you

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You said "2" but of course you meant "3". Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Alan, Bulger is perfectly PL ok. The poor man is pining for his Ruth...

Sonia
Dani251

Post by Dani251 »

Here is Mrs Gilfillian's Act 1! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/sweetlavender_mrsgilfillian_act1.mp3 (5.74kb)

My first part here on LV, so I really did my best! I made a couple of errors - so I repeated 2 lines, which will be obvious, I hope that's ok. Just let me know if I should change anything. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Your first? May there be many more.

Sonia will PL.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Dani251 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:28 amHere is Mrs Gilfillian's Act 1! https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/sweetlavender_mrsgilfillian_act1.mp3 (5.74kb)
My first part here on LV, so I really did my best! I made a couple of errors - so I repeated 2 lines, which will be obvious, I hope that's ok. Just let me know if I should change anything. :)
hey Dani, and thank you for this excellent first dramatic role for you. :clap: You make a great characterization of Mrs Gilfillian here. She is not a bad person, but still adamant that her daughter should get Clement by all means. And the exasperation at Mr Bream is palpable :lol: You have dramatic talent and I am already looking forward to hearing you in many other plays. :9:

However I have a few notes for you to edit before this can be marked as ok.

> the volume is very low (only 76.8 dB - I barely heard you) we accept between 86 and 92 dB. Could you amplify it all with 12 dB maybe ? Also the background noise is quite pronounced, a round of noise cleaning would do the trick, so your voice is better in evidence. Are you using Audacity ? I can give you an easy step-by-step if you don't know how to work this function.

> in the voice credit, you can leave out "act 1", this will be done by the narrator. but thank you for including the entire description, many readers forget that :thumbs:

> from 2:29-2:34: (p. 52) repeat: "In the very room in which we are asked to take luncheon" - can be cut, since it's repeated later. It's always best to hand in the complete edited file, so our editor only has to cut and paste what is really needed

> from 3:07-3:10: (p. 53) repeat: "Minnie there is somebody else in that room" - can be cut once

> at 3:41: (p. 54) "My daughter" - she actually doesn't say Minnie's name...Dick is probably not worthy of that honour LOL

> at about 3:52: (p. 54) missed line: "Mr. Funnel, I have just received a great shock."

> at about 4:22: (p. 55) missed line: "Minnie !"

thank you ! I had great fun listening to it and looking forward to the rest :)

Sonia
Karsus

Post by Karsus »

Corrections on Act 2 should come by Friday. Thanks for being patient with me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sweetlavender_clementhale_3_128kb.mp3
Dani251

Post by Dani251 »

Thank you so much for the very kind words and encouragement! :) I'm currently making the changes but have two outstanding issues - I can't figure out how to enter lines in audacity, or get the sound above 84...? Any help sooo much appreciated :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Dani251 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 1:37 amThank you so much for the very kind words and encouragement! :) I'm currently making the changes but have two outstanding issues - I can't figure out how to enter lines in audacity, or get the sound above 84...? Any help sooo much appreciated :)
oh ok, a short tutorial is coming up :) great that you use Audacity, because I work with that program too.

So, the easiest way for me to insert corrections is the following. There are other methods, but this is how I do it:

1) open a new audacity window
2) record the sentences that had errors or that you missed in the new window
3) amplify and noise-clean the new version
4) highlight the corrected sentence, press "copy"
5) go to your masterfile (the old audacity file with the errors in)
6) put the cursor on the time stamp where you need to put in the missed sentence. Or highlight the sentence with the error in. Then press "paste". The new sentence will be replacing the old one
7) after that I usually listen to the sentence before and after the new recorded sentence, and maybe manually adjust the volume so the discrepancy is not too audible. Don't worry about "perfect match of voice", especially for beginners that is the most tricky part. But with practice, believe me, you will get better at making nearly flawless transitions in your corrections. But it's usually not something we can do right away (I couldn't in the beginning, and I really see how much I improved in time).

To amplify with Audacity, do the following:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 12 (in your case now) in the first upper box (called "amplification dB"): Important: don't change anything in the lower box !
> press ok

I think I remember that there is one part a bit in the middle (maybe "What!", but not sure anymore) that is much louder than the other parts, so it might not let you amplify without clipping. What you can do before you amplify, is highlight that part (you will see it in the audacity window, the spikes are really much higher than all the others). So highlight that part, and do the amplifcation I told you here, only instead of 12 you input -4 (don't forget the minus sign !) That will decrease the volume of this loud part. Then highlight it all and you can amplify with 12 without this line clipping.

The best is to keep your voice a bit level throughout a recording, that way you can uniformly amplify later on. Especially for prose texts that is important. You can still be expressive in your voice of course, but while you record, have an eye on the audacity window with the sound waves appearing. If you notice a spike all of a sudden, best to rerecord that sentence with a more level voice. You can cut out the other part later on.

And finally, noise cleaning, which is very important, because the microphon picks up a lot of background noise:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file) - you will hear only "noise" there
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

Ok with these three basic tools, I think you are all set to get very good recording already. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask :) And it may seem long and slow in the beginning, but with everything, practice makes perfect. You don't need to look at my "list" after you have done this some 4 or 5 times, believe me :mrgreen: It will all become routine soon.

Good luck

Sonia