[solo] A Matter of Importance by Murray Leinster - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

A Matter of Importance by Murray Leinster (1896 - 1975).

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/a-matter-of-importance-by-murray-leinster/

The importance of a matter is almost entirely a matter of your attitude. And whether you call something "a riot" or "a war" ... well, there is a difference, but what is it? Someone steals a space ship? The local police know how to handle that. A broken down freighter in a far distant solar system? That's their normal job too. A bunch of idiots want to start a war? Just another days' work for the boys in blue. The twisted mind of Murray Leinster takes on a Earth empire that has colonized thousands of planets and that has moved beyond armies or navies. No need for 'em any more when you have an experienced police force, eh? They've seen it all and everything is routine to the guys and gals of the Empire Police. - Summary by Phil Chenevert( Phil Chenevert)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23636
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Matter of Importance. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Matter of Importance, by Murray Leinster. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Matter of Importance by Murray Leinster. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Matter of Importance, by Murray Leinster. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename matterofimportance_##_leinster_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. matterofimportance_01_leinster_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Murray Leinster
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: A Matter of Importance

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
linny

Post by linny »

DPL checking in. :9:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Wow, how did you know about this? But thanks!
I am recording an other OZ book at the moment but will start on this one very soon. It is a most interesting story and a perspective I've never seen used before.
linny

Post by linny »

:lol: I look through the solo's to see if you have any projects that need DPL. You and Kevin enjoy Oz...I'll talk with you when you get here.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Part one in in the magic window for proof listening. Image
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Phil,
I obtained a job...well sort of. I'm now an adjunct substitute instructor in the GED program of the local state college. Tomorrow morning is the kickoff department meeting and then I'm helping my mom make zucchini relish. I'll likely not be able to listen until Tuesday.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

linny wrote: August 16th, 2020, 3:53 pm Hi Phil,
I obtained a job...well sort of. I'm now an adjunct substitute instructor in the GED program of the local state college. Tomorrow morning is the kickoff department meeting and then I'm helping my mom make zucchini relish. I'll likely not be able to listen until Tuesday.
Good for you! Teaching is challenging and fun. But that zucchini relish, now THAT is where true skill and love lies! :D
linny

Post by linny »

Zucchini relish came out well. At least that's what mom says. It has cornstarch in it and I'm allergic to corn so I don't get any. :( Oh well, I remember it fondly and my stomach doesn't hurt all the time anymore so I'll stick to not eating what I'm allergic to.

Tomorrow we head to the yardage store (1.5 hours away). Time to start on Christmas gifts. I could throttle her. She just told me the plan and it's extremely labor intensive. We could have started them months ago. They are long thing quilted Christmas tree wall hangings. We cut and sew and then send them to my Aunt in Ill. She'll pad, back and quilt them and then bind them and add mini lights to them and mail them back. Luckily my Aunt is a professional quilter so she has the proper equipment and knowledge. She still has to fit the work into her regular customers though. Once all of that is done, then mom will mail them out for Christmas since it doesn't' look as if we will have a get together this year due to COVID. I'm seriously not sure my mom has REALLY considered it's mid August. (sigh)
linny

Post by linny »

Part 1 PL notes:
16:00 - word change - When human colonies spread through this sector, they encountered an alien civilization.

16:43 word change - They explained the rules by which human civilization worked.

Then he yawned again. Your performance had me yawning as well. lol
linny

Post by linny »

Part 2 PL notes:
7:14 – repeat x2 – Cerberus had used them.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Tomorrow we head to the yardage store (1.5 hours away). Time to start on Christmas gifts. I could throttle her. She just told me the plan and it's extremely labor intensive. We could have started them months ago. They are long thing quilted Christmas tree wall hangings. We cut and sew and then send them to my Aunt in Ill. She'll pad, back and quilt them and then bind them and add mini lights to them and mail them back. Luckily my Aunt is a professional quilter so she has the proper equipment and knowledge. She still has to fit the work into her regular customers though. Once all of that is done, then mom will mail them out for Christmas since it doesn't' look as if we will have a get together this year due to COVID. I'm seriously not sure my mom has REALLY considered it's mid August. (sigh)
You are right, that does sound labor intensive. And I love it. (not being the one doing the labor) It sounds like your mom is a very artistic and craftsy person which is neat. I can now see where your own energy and love of creating beautiful things comes from. Now smile and get to work.

On another note, I am recording The Sea Fairies by L. Scott Baum and want to know if you have time or the inclination to proof listen. This is not an OZ book, but in the same style. (Truthfully, I think I just want to do 'ol Capt. Bill). Anyway, it is no problem either way but wanted to tell you that is what is on my agenda. I make silver wire name necklaces as a hobby but my grandchildren, whom I've hired to sell them, have seemed to quit so I've got none to make. sad. They don't seem to want to learn about the joy of making pocket money.
linny

Post by linny »

philchenevert wrote: August 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm You are right, that does sound labor intensive. And I love it. (not being the one doing the labor) It sounds like your mom is a very artistic and craftsy person which is neat. I can now see where your own energy and love of creating beautiful things comes from. Now smile and get to work.

On another note, I am recording The Sea Fairies by L. Scott Baum and want to know if you have time or the inclination to proof listen. This is not an OZ book, but in the same style. (Truthfully, I think I just want to do 'ol Capt. Bill). Anyway, it is no problem either way but wanted to tell you that is what is on my agenda. I make silver wire name necklaces as a hobby but my grandchildren, whom I've hired to sell them, have seemed to quit so I've got none to make. sad. They don't seem to want to learn about the joy of making pocket money.
I will PL for you on any subject on any day! Count me in...always!

I have a few kids down the street I've been watching grow up. I'm hoping in a few more years they will be open to earning some pocket money. What happened to kids working after school? Maybe the 'allowance' method has ruined them.

You have all the talent and skill needed to sell them on ebay. Go for it! Hobbies and creativity should never be given up. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Part 3 PL Notes
5:52 – word change - Patrolman Willis searched painstakingly.

6:54 word change – II was away on the far side of its orbit.
This should be two

11:20 word change (I’m not certain this one matters) These Huks would hardly be behind the others in equipment

LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

PARTS 1,2 and 3 have been fixed and uploaded. That word change in 3 did indeed make a difference! Glad you caught it.
linny

Post by linny »

philchenevert wrote: August 18th, 2020, 8:22 pm PARTS 1,2 and 3 have been fixed and uploaded. That word change in 3 did indeed make a difference! Glad you caught it.
Parts 2 and 3 are the prior files. Part 1 is spot check PL OK. :D