COMPLETE [FICTION] GROUP: Jean-Christophe, Volume I by Romain Rolland-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jpseeger wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:26 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_00_rolland_128kb.mp3

Here is my submission of Section 0, the Preface.
Duration = 10:10
Thank you, Joshua, great reading!
Normally I wouldn't comment on the superfine points of foreign names, but it looks like you are taking proper names pronunciation seriously, most of them at 4:00 are perfect, but a couple are a bit off:
Kossuth [ˈkoʃut] (Hungarian names are never easy :) )
Louis Blanc -- the ultimate consonant in Blanc is silent too :-)
Again, these are superfine points. If you, or Yuqing, or MaryAnn think this is too much for a standard PL -- please let me know!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

chulsky wrote: August 1st, 2020, 11:34 am
jpseeger wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:26 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_00_rolland_128kb.mp3

Here is my submission of Section 0, the Preface.
Duration = 10:10
Thank you, Joshua, great reading!
Normally I wouldn't comment on the superfine points of foreign names, but it looks like you are taking proper names pronunciation seriously, most of them at 4:00 are perfect, but a couple are a bit off:
Kossuth [ˈkoʃut] (Hungarian names are never easy :) )
Louis Blanc -- the ultimate consonant in Blanc is silent too :-)
Again, these are superfine points. If you, or Yuqing, or MaryAnn think this is too much for a standard PL -- please let me know!
Thank you, Mark. I strive for consistency, so I really appreciate your advice, and I will make these corrections.
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_00_rolland_128kb.mp3

This is my resubmission of Section 0, Preface. It is still 10:10 in length. :)
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

Just a note to whomever PL's my Chapter 1: I have encountered, so far, a couple of typos in the translation; e.g., "hate" instead of "have", and "ebb and low" instead of "ebb and flow". I've examined the original French and verified what Rolland intended, and I plan to correct such errors as I read. I will do this only if there's no ambiguity. Please let me know if you object to this approach. --Joshua
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jpseeger wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Just a note to whomever PL's my Chapter 1: I have encountered, so far, a couple of typos in the translation; e.g., "hate" instead of "have", and "ebb and low" instead of "ebb and flow". I've examined the original French and verified what Rolland intended, and I plan to correct such errors as I read. I will do this only if there's no ambiguity. Please let me know if you object to this approach. --Joshua
Hi Joshua, I am the DPL, meaning I hope to PL the entire volume.
These look like OCR errors, happen all the time, and you are absolutely correct to fix them. The standard PL level is requested, therefore I am not checking against the original text, unless I hear something that prompts me, so in most cases I won't notice.
If you wish, you could make notes here in the forum, then I would pay special attention.
Sec. 0 is PL OK :thumbs:
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

chulsky wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 6:36 pm
jpseeger wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Just a note to whomever PL's my Chapter 1: I have encountered, so far, a couple of typos in the translation; e.g., "hate" instead of "have", and "ebb and low" instead of "ebb and flow". I've examined the original French and verified what Rolland intended, and I plan to correct such errors as I read. I will do this only if there's no ambiguity. Please let me know if you object to this approach. --Joshua
Hi Joshua, I am the DPL, meaning I hope to PL the entire volume.
These look like OCR errors, happen all the time, and you are absolutely correct to fix them. The standard PL level is requested, therefore I am not checking against the original text, unless I hear something that prompts me, so in most cases I won't notice.
If you wish, you could make notes here in the forum, then I would pay special attention.
Sec. 0 is PL OK :thumbs:
I totally agree with this approach. Thanks!
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

jpseeger wrote: August 5th, 2020, 7:17 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_01_rolland_128kb.mp3

This is my submission of Section 1.
Duration = 27:12 :)
jpseeger wrote: August 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_02_rolland_128kb.mp3

Here is my submission of Section 2.
Duration = 32:06 :)
Thank you! These sections have been marked ready for PL.
Cheers,
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec. 1,2 PL OK :thumbs:
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more reader interest in this. Since no one else is stepping forward, may I claim sections 3,4,5, and 6? I may not get to them immediately since I'm working on my solo project (Cleone), but I should be able to complete them within 2 months' time. --Joshua
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

jpseeger wrote: August 26th, 2020, 10:52 am I'm surprised there hasn't been more reader interest in this. Since no one else is stepping forward, may I claim sections 3,4,5, and 6? I may not get to them immediately since I'm working on my solo project (Cleone), but I should be able to complete them within 2 months' time. --Joshua
Indeed! I was pretty sure this project would pick up pace sooner than this when I decided to start it. Anyway, I guess we just have to be more patient! :wink:

Thank you for the initiative, Joshua! Even if you can't finish all the sections by the 2-month deadline, just drop me a message and I'll keep you in the MW!
Cheers,
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

jpseeger wrote: September 11th, 2020, 10:10 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_03_rolland_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 3; duration 35:12
Thanks! It's been marked ready for PL.
Cheers,
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.3. Thank you, Joshua, for the pleasure! Sorry for the delay.
Another comment on a foreign word, and again you may ignore it. @1:10 "Vater Rhein", the German word Vater sounds like "Fater," (and means Father :) ).
Yuqing , may I please ask you not to erase the word count and From...to directions when you enter new ready-for-PL sections... I too may need to consult the source :-)
I could erase that when checking "PL OK"
Thank you!