New LibriVox reader!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jasonz1287

Post by jasonz1287 »

Hi all,

Glad to finally be here! My name is Jason and I'm currently a rising junior in a university on the West Coast of the U.S. I used to be a big reader back in high school and still enjoy reading texts that aren't assigned by professors. With the pandemic keeping us online for the foreseeable future, I've started getting into audiobooks and hopefully can be of some use to the current projects ongoing at LibriVox.

Just a quick question: I was looking through the manual/guide for recording and didn't really see any references if we wanted to use our phone to potentially record and then later edit on the computer. Would this be possible or is recording on computer and editing afterwards the better idea? Only asking because the current mic I have with my computer can be iffy at times.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello Jayson,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. I don't know to reply to your question, I am blind so I never recorded.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Welcome Jason. Post your question in our forum "Need Help" thread and you will get quick answers. I do believe some people record with their phones but am not sure. :thumbs:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

There may not be a specific tutorial since it doesn’t come up often, but it’s straightforward. As long as you record on your phone in a compatible format (MP3, WAV), just transfer the file to your pc and then edit. Phones do have pretty decent mics.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Hi there! I am responding as I had the same issue for a while. I was able to record on my phone (I tried to get the tech specs as close as possible to required). Then I emailed it to myself to get it to my computer, and used Audacity to edit it and fix the last few tech specs that I couldn't get. I would recommend trying to find an app that can get you similar tech specs to what we need to make it easier on yourself. It definitely is possible, but I found it tedious after a while and ended up just buying another mic.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

If you have an iPhone, get TwistedWave.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page