[COMPLETE]The Wrong of Slavery by Robert Dale Owen-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

mleigh wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:17 am I have a question regarding tables. There are two tables in Part 1, Ch 6. One is a short one with profit/loss figures based on the value of the slaves. (I cringe as I write this.) The other is a lengthier, even grimmer table, with numbers of individuals shipped and delivered, showing the % loss. Do we include these or not? The numbers do not appear elsewhere. I have no idea how to read a table.

Question on footnotes: Do we exclude the footnotes that only cite references and include those that have explanations, or do we include all, or none? I looked at other projects from the past and it seems that it has been done differently on different projects.

Thanks for any insight.

M
I always read the footnotes for consistency. I'm about half way done with one of my recordings, if you want to see how I'm handling it when its done.(or correct me if it needs it!) Some footnotes are just a page number, but others have important detail.

As for the two tables, the first one on page 49 ought to be fairly straightforward. I have similar ones in the chapter I'm reading. You have three symbols there (I had to look this up, I didn't know) the £ for Pound, the s for shilling and the d. for pence.

"At one man and a half per ton, the loss is 206 pound sterling, 19 shillings, and 9 pence."

That's how I would say it; or perhaps if I looked at the wrong page this will be of some inspiration. As for the table on page 55.

"For the year 1680, 5190 negroes were shipped, 37 negroes were delivered, with a yearly loss of 27 and two-thirds percent."
"For the year 1681, same same"

It is extremely grim, but the Royal African Company apparently kept detailed records of their illicit cargo to be able to create these tables.
Last edited by progressingamerica on July 4th, 2020, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progressingamerica

gulerdilanaz wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:55 am Hi, I would like to claim “Part 1, chapter 9: Touching the Causes of certain Marvellous Results”, if there is place available.
Added, thank you.

I noticed that this is your first post. Let us know if you would like any assistance. In case it is needed, we do have some resources for newcomers and you might want to consider doing a 1 minute test. More info here.

viewforum.php?f=17
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36743

Sometimes, just jumping in is the best way.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

progressingamerica wrote: July 4th, 2020, 2:19 pm
mleigh wrote: July 4th, 2020, 10:17 am I have a question regarding tables. There are two tables in Part 1, Ch 6. One is a short one with profit/loss figures based on the value of the slaves. (I cringe as I write this.) The other is a lengthier, even grimmer table, with numbers of individuals shipped and delivered, showing the % loss. Do we include these or not? The numbers do not appear elsewhere. I have no idea how to read a table.

Question on footnotes: Do we exclude the footnotes that only cite references and include those that have explanations, or do we include all, or none? I looked at other projects from the past and it seems that it has been done differently on different projects.

Thanks for any insight.

M
I always read the footnotes for consistency. I'm about half way done with one of my recordings, if you want to see how I'm handling it when its done.(or correct me if it needs it!) Some footnotes are just a page number, but others have important detail.

As for the two tables, the first one on page 49 ought to be fairly straightforward. I have similar ones in the chapter I'm reading. You have three symbols there (I had to look this up, I didn't know) the £ for Pound, the s for shilling and the d. for pence.

"At one man and a half per ton, the loss is 206 pound sterling, 19 shillings, and 9 pence."

That's how I would say it; or perhaps if I looked at the wrong page this will be of some inspiration. As for the table on page 55.

"For the year 1680, 5190 negroes were shipped, 37 negroes were delivered, with a yearly loss of 27 and two-thirds percent."
"For the year 1681, same same"

It is extremely grim, but the Royal African Company apparently kept detailed records of their illicit cargo to be able to create these tables.
Thank you so much for your insight. I was having problems with how I should do the tables as I didn't think it made sense to read them row by row only. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

progressingamerica wrote: June 29th, 2020, 5:26 pm
KevinS wrote: June 29th, 2020, 3:33 pmPreface

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_00_owen_128kb.mp3 (9:52)

Chapter 1 is someone else's responsibility, I take. That's fine. I'll look forward to doing some other chapter (or chapters) soon.
Thanks. Everybody is already working on these, I hope you hadn't gotten into chapter 1 yet. When you are ready for another, let me know.
The preface is PL okay.

THanks,

M
progressingamerica

mleigh wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:26 am The preface is PL okay.

THanks,

M
Hello mleigh and KevinS, could the name be recorded as "Robert Dale Owen"? Reason is that we don't want to get mixed later with this guy should someone want to record one of his works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Owen

I updated the instances of "Robert Owen" to include Dale at post 1. That was an error on my part.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

progressingamerica wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:09 pm
mleigh wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:26 am The preface is PL okay.

THanks,

M
Hello mleigh and KevinS, could the name be recorded as "Robert Dale Owen"? Reason is that we don't want to get mixed later with this guy should someone want to record one of his works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Owen

I updated the instances of "Robert Owen" to include Dale at post 1. That was an error on my part.
That works for me as I, at first, thought it was the Robert Owen of New Lanark fame.

M
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

Here is section 8 (Chap. 7) It is 29:29 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_08_owen_128kb.mp3

Laurence
progressingamerica

mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mightyfelix wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:59 pm
fried1259 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm Thank you everybody for getting this set up and ready to go! Here are the two files I completed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_02_owen_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_03_owen_128kb.mp3

The paragraph on page 19 is recorded as an introduction because it is prior to Chapter 1 and its after the Preface. Wasn't sure what else to do with it. Additionally, in the beginning of Chapter 1 (part 1) I read in the table of contents on page 11. It seemed to really set the tone and I think the table of contents will be even more useful for setting the tone on some of the larger chapters. I hope others will agree.

I've been attempting to work on the second chapter (part 1), but I don't really like how it comes out when I record in segments over a day or two and the editing is not fun. But I have had trouble recording that much in one sitting without too many errors. I will try again later this week. I am finding out that I'm more of a perfectionist than I thought I was.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I love your enthusiasm, but I need you to slow down! :lol:

Please go back to the first post above, and read it a bit more carefully. This group project is still being set up by the BC (book coordinator; in this case progressingamerica). It is not yet ready for claims, much less for fully-recorded chapters. Before you record anything else, you need to:
  1. Post in the project thread indicating which section(s) you would like to record.
  2. Wait to have your claim acknowledged by the BC.
This paves the way for clear communication between everyone involved, and also prevents the possibility of duplicating anyone else's work, for example, two people both recording the same section due to a lack of communication.

It's also a good idea to ask the BC about any "gray areas" that might crop up in your section, such as whether or not to read the table of contents. There may of course be exceptions, but I don't know of any project in which we've included it. :? I fear that may have been wasted work on your part. Please wait until you hear from progressingamerica before you do anything else.
My comments refer to both of your sections:

A shortened version of the title, The Wrong of Slavery, is used at the start of the recording. I am also picking up a low frequency hum in the background throughout if I listen with headphones. Can that be cleaned up?

And for Chapter 1, has there been any resolution on the expanded TOC being included at the beginning of the chapter? I haven't seen anything.

Other than those small items - everything else is great.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Section 6: Part 1, chapter 5: How Slaves were obtained in Africa is PL okay.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Two minor issues:

1. From ~1:55-2:05 - the text is repeated, "only about 1/15th of the whole or 278 annually".
2. There is extra silence at the end. Should be around 5 sec. an there are around 6.5 sec.

Other than that, everything is good.

Thanks,

M
ruthema

Post by ruthema »

Could I read the first two chapters of part 2 (sections 13 and 14)?
madison rutherford