Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah. I also wonder if they're simply overwhelmed.

I'm now attempting to delete everything except my original jpg files to see if that will make the project page "normal". I'll come back later and upload my pdf files.

It seems to be going faster today.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So, to close the circle on this one, for posterity. I removed the PDFs, and the page looked normal. Then I added them back in, and they showed as PDFs again.

Then I went into the metadata and changed "mediatype" from "text" to "audio." Voila. :roll:
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello! Here I am again with suggestions of images for our talented cover artists for a project about to be cataloged: Memórias de Martha is the fictional memoirs of a poor laundry woman's daughter in 19th century Rio de Janeiro. Here are the suggestions:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Belmiro_de_Almeida_-_Amuada,_1906.jpg#/media/Ficheiro:Belmiro_de_Almeida_-_Amuada,_1906.jpg

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/436174

Thanks! :)
Leni
=================
msfry

Post by msfry »

I love the new "cover art" page with the black background and artwork positioned in the middle. Did we do that, or IA? Now if only they would let us display it at 5" x 5", where the artistic details could be better appreciated.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Interesting choice - I'll claim it if I can but that's a bit in the laps of the gods . Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: July 30th, 2020, 5:16 pm I love the new "cover art" page with the black background and artwork positioned in the middle. Did we do that, or IA? Now if only they would let us display it at 5" x 5", where the artistic details could be better appreciated.
Moved this to the chat thread.

What new cover art page? Have a link?

We didn't do anything, so whatever it is must be IA's doing.
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi! I'm a little out of league here, and maybe everybody in Covermakers knows all about this stuff already, but just in case...
I've taken up Junk Journaling as a fun hobby and found a lot of free image resources that maybe you guys would also find useful. I'll just drop the link here:

https://compassandink.com/where-to-find-junk-journal-ephemera-and-printables-for-free/
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

thestorygirl wrote: July 31st, 2020, 12:08 am I've taken up Junk Journaling as a fun hobby ...
From that same link:
Making a Junk Journal Cover
Altered Book

Many people in the junk journaling community use old books they own to create their covers. They simple tear out the pages of the book, and use that as their cover.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Other than this, I guess for once I've been ahead of the trend. For more than 25 years I've gathered loose paper and old single-sided printouts and put them together to make new "notebooks" for myself. At uni I used them for all the math exercises I had to do before an exam (*) and to print early stages of theses and papers, later at work I used them to scribble notes while thinking about stuff, and now I use them for drafts of things like the staff picks. There is no size limit either to the scraps I'm using, but I am probably a bit obsessed with paper. :D

They are more functional than pretty though, nothing my heirs would like to display on their mantel piece. :lol:

(*) The printing center at uni also bound misprints and sold them very cheaply as "draft" paper rather than throwing it out.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Yes, we all check the claims board for projects needing covers if we have time to spare. I claimed this project this morning and will be glad to use one of your suggested pics.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Thank you!
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

An unusual sight, for a limited time: The home page librivox.org has 10 new releases, none of which have a cover displayed. :shock:

We've cataloged 56 books so far in August, so there are plenty of projects that need covers! I count 7 on the claims list that are open for claims right now.
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: August 11th, 2020, 6:44 am An unusual sight, for a limited time: The home page librivox.org has 10 new releases, none of which have a cover displayed. :shock:

We've cataloged 56 books so far in August, so there are plenty of projects that need covers! I count 7 on the claims list that are open for claims right now.
thx for the hint!
:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

msfry wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:16 pm Yes, we all check the claims board for projects needing covers if we have time to spare. I claimed this project this morning and will be glad to use one of your suggested pics.
O, I see it now!
It's gorgeous!
Thanks so much!
...LJB :9:
Louise
"every little breeze..."

msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 30th, 2020, 5:42 pm
What new cover art page? Have a link?

We didn't do anything, so whatever it is must be IA's doing.
I'm referring to the 1st link under the cover art on the LV catalog page, It used to be white bkg and pic smashed all the way top-left of page. Now it's centered and bkg is black. Much better display for our art. Now if only they would display the 5" x 5" image, our beautiful art would be properly showcased. But I bet hardly anyone ever clicks that link, or prints out our CD cases. No way to find out either, I bet.