COMPLETE History of New England, 1630-1649 by John Winthrop - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
deckeraa

Post by deckeraa »

History of New England, 1630-1649 by John Winthrop (1587 - 1649).

This project is now in the catalog! Please download and listen from here: https://librivox.org/history-of-new-england-1630-1649-by-john-winthrop/
John Winthrop served as governor of the Massachusetts Bay colony for several years. His History of New England, 1630-1649 details life in the colony and narrates several controversies that arose within the plantation.
Examples include the excommunication of Anne Hutchinson and a civil suit over a sow that expressed the tension between the aristocracy and democracy and led to the establishment of the bicameral system within the New England government. The Pequod war, treaties with other Native American tribes such as the Naragnasetts, and the establishment of the United Colonies are also covered.
  • Text source (only read from this text!):
    Volume 1: https://archive.org/details/winthropsjournal00wint/page/n15/mode/2up
    Volume 2: https://archive.org/details/winthropsjournal02wint/page/n1/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: New England, Puritans, Massachusetts Bay Colony

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of History of New England, 1630-1649. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "History of New England, 1630-1649, by John Winthrop. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of History of New England, 1630-1649 by John Winthrop. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of History of New England, 1630-1649, by John Winthrop. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename historyofnewengland_##_winthrop_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofnewengland9_01_winthrop_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: John Winthrop
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: History of New England, 1630-1649

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by deckeraa on December 18th, 2020, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mendiagus

Post by mendiagus »

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

mendiagus wrote: July 29th, 2020, 6:16 pm This is the link for my test to read in librivox.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Librivox1_(online-audio-converter.com)_.mp3
Please see the response in the Readers and Listeners Wanted thread where you posted this test
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can set this project up for you and be your MC (meta coordinator), I'll be back in a little bit

ETA:
Here we go, we have a Magic Window (MW). As a soloist, you are your own book coordinator, and will fill out the titles in the MW and put the recordings and duration in there. Here are instructions for how to log into the MW for this first time
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs
and what to do as the book coordinator
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I will put a tilde (~) in the topic to show that we are looking for a dedicated proof listener in this project.

I didn't know how many sections you will need for this project, so I started with 20. We can add or delete as needed.

Please try to log in to the MW and maybe fill in the title of the first few sections. The first might be Introduction, and then maybe 1630, part 1 followed by 1630, part 2 etc.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll be here! :D
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Great, well done with getting into the MW and entering titles. I'll move us over to the Going solo forum tomorrow :)
Kathrine
deckeraa

Post by deckeraa »

I got the intro section recorded but still need to do some edits before I upload it.
I'm hoping to do that sometime this coming week.
deckeraa

Post by deckeraa »

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Off to a good start! Please also put the duration of the file in the Magic Window in the Notes section (I use it for reference when I catalog the project at the very end). Thank you
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'm just posting to let you know that I'll be out of wifi range for a few days. If you have pressing questions, please PM another admin, or post in the Need Help? Got Advice forum if you need help before Monday August 17 :)

By the way, if you find that you have to split some of the years into two recordings, you can do that. Recordings should not be longer than 74 minutes.
Kathrine
deckeraa

Post by deckeraa »

Sounds good. I've updated the notes to have the duration.

I'm making some changes to my recording setup to get a higher quality input; after that I should be able to get the first year recorded.
deckeraa

Post by deckeraa »

Sections 1-3 are now recorded and uploaded.

Should I be doing anything to get proof-listeners lined up?
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Awesome! I'll post over in the Listeners Wanted forum, hopefully someone will find their way over here soon :)
Kathrine
tac107

Post by tac107 »

deckeraa wrote: August 20th, 2020, 7:31 pm Sections 1-3 are now recorded and uploaded.

Should I be doing anything to get proof-listeners lined up?

Hi, I am willing to DPL this!
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

For the very first section that is 34:31, it is listed as section 0 in the magic window but you read it as section 1.

4:53-4:56 stumble on "What of the fortunes of the man and his book?" and "Winthrop" in the next sentence
7:15 James the First not James One (especially since you said Henry the Eighth later)
11:15 stumble on "though bearing a name of"
13:27 stumble on "William Blackstone built a house"
17:40 sounds like a stumble at the beginning of the sentence, or a word that was started then stopped
20:32 stumble on "issued to"
21: 48 stumble on "Sir Richard" 's name
27:11 stumble on "was out of print"

There is a persistent crackling noise but around 14:17 it starts to get really loud. There is also a hum kind of like an electric shaver while you are speaking only, and around 15:50 that also gets extremely loud + the crackle. Once you get into the last third or so of the recording it's not nearly as bad.

And it should say "End of section 0" rather than "end of section introduction" at the very end.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Did not notice any humming or crackling in this recording!

PL Notes for Section 1, 1630
50:08 rapid break midsentence at "we returned", sounds like the sentence was chopped in half while editing
51:18 repeat on "the history of his adopted country"
52:05 stumble and repeat on "we that were of the assistance"
If she's got the time

Tatiana