Complete [NOVEL] Children Of The Abbey By Regina Maria Roche-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

hi, can I have chapter 5? thank you
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi, I am sorry, but chapter 5, which is section 7, has been claimed. You may have chapter 6 which is sections 8 and 9.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

miss stav wrote: July 28th, 2020, 10:39 pm Hi, I am sorry, but chapter 5, which is section 7, has been claimed. You may have chapter 6 which is sections 8 and 9.
ok, I will have section 8, 9.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

\wonderful. \thank you.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_07_part_1_roche_128kb.mp3
24:21
I am sorry for the popping sound in my microphone. I don't know how to deal with it :(
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge thanks. I don't know how to help you. How about you post in the need help? Got advice? Section of the forum.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

In addition, please change the file name to 08, because you uploaded section 8. It doesn't matter in the file name if it is chapter 7 part 1.
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

miss stav wrote: August 4th, 2020, 12:37 am In addition, please change the file name to 08, because you uploaded section 8. It doesn't matter in the file name if it is chapter 7 part 1.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_08_roche_128kb.mp3
renewed name
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Hi,

You had assigned me Chapter 11 because 10 was claimed but I see they are both still open. May I claim Chapters 10 and 11 please?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Very well. Chapters 10 and 11, which are sections 12 and 13, are all yours. Have fun,
Stav.
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, this was fast. Huge thanks. Would you like to continue with chapter 12 which is sections 14 and 15?
schrm

Post by schrm »

Mooninya wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:28 am
miss stav wrote: August 4th, 2020, 12:37 am In addition, please change the file name to 08, because you uploaded section 8. It doesn't matter in the file name if it is chapter 7 part 1.
renewed name
heyho,

thank you for your recording! it was lovely to listen to and i thought, i will try to answer your question. well, so please, don't be shocked! there are only two edits to make :-)
section 8 is checker ok, but there are some technical aspects to edit.

these, please do edit:
- when a chapter is divided into parts, the part number should be read in the intro. "chapter seven, part one" - for the first part. (at least once, that is what jennifer was reading and that is, what i prefer in my bc projects.)

please: don't forget to use the noise reduction!
- there is quite a bit of background noise. a noise reduction in audacity reduces this to zero.

it is your decision if you want to edit these:
- a longish pause at 1:25
- a longish pause at 5:05 - after the beginning of the sentence over one second (not really a problem, but easy to cut)
- a longish pause at 24:15,4-24:17,6
as a rule of thumb i learned and got the pl note: a pause for longer than two seconds is too long.
to my opinion, it is more a problem when the pause is longer than 3 seconds.
but there is an audacity menue point "effects", choose "shorten silence", and change the parameters until you are satisfied (eg duration 2 seconds). (i have the menue in german, so it may be, that they are called something else in other languages)

as another rule of thumb and suggestion (there is no need to edit this):
- there are some differences in volume, presumably when you edited per cut and paste. it is not really problematic, but there is a part, where i reduced the volume to listen further.
so, the next time, i suggest to mark the pasted part and try to amplify it so it fits to the recording preceding and following. (someone told me thats new: a positive value makes the marked part louder, a negative value reduces the volume)

there are some pop noises, which you asked about:
1. is it possible, that there are several reasons for them? some sound like you need a popfilter (some of these are, when you are reading a "d" or "t"), some sound more like a bump to the table, or the mic, or similar.
2. i am undecided what the reason could be.

--> maybe some questions, which may help:
did you change anything, like: position of the microphone, chair you are using, do you use a popfilter? a reason could be, eg... i had the problem, that my office chair made some tic-noises when i was turning a little bit while reading.
in case you are using some sort of cables, it could be, that they are bumping at the microphone?
do you use a popflter?
is the snowball mounted on the 3-legged stand? or is it laying on the desk? are you able to lay some felt or some rubber or foam under it?
maybe that is the reason, some bumping or steps which are transferring into the mic?
did you record with windows open? or air condition running? is there some wind which can hit the mics membrane?
are these pop-sounds occuring with some regularity? eg, every minute, or every 20 seconds?
can you please upload a 2-3 minutes recording to the tests-folder, which you have not edited?

quite some pl notes, while this section is very near a pl ok.
i hope, we will find out about these pop noises soon!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

Mooninya wrote: August 4th, 2020, 10:16 pm chapter 7 part II
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_09_roche_128kb.mp3
28:26
heyho,

pl notes section 9:

- ending silence is 4 seconds - a second too short, please copy and paste a second!

- intro - beginning: chapter seven part two (bold what is missing)
- intro - the end of the intro is missing: "The Children Of The Abbey , by Regina Maria Roche . [Chapter+part]" (bold what is missing)

- 16:55 abrupt sound lapse or edit: I am convinced you could mention no circumstance which could possibly palliate your conduct, or what you so gently... (bold what is missing) - please edit it!
- 21:09 abrupt sound lapse? two words missing: ...reproaches. Ah! my lord, timely profit by mental... (that edit is your decision, it is just some "unnaturally" sounding silence)

i think some of the plop sounds are when you breath hits directly into the mic.
it happens with v and f sounds, eg. that are plosives...
first two rules of help (if it helps and that's the reason): don't speak directly into the microfone, but speak into the direction of it (or turn it, so that it aims to your cheek - or your nose!) or use a popfilter.

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

chapter 7, part 1, 24:19

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/childrenoftheabbey_09_roche_128kb.mp3
chapter 7, part 2, 28:33

I had made few corrections according to your advice, it is really helpful. Thanks, Wolfi. :)