[COMPLETE]The Deluge (vol 2) by Henryk Sienkiewicz [HIST NOVEL]-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DavidYoung

Post by DavidYoung »

Section 44:
These are mistakes in the version on Project Guttenburg. I cross-checked the Polish and the corrected version matches the original

Scanned version:
Some men fell as if struck by lightning; others pushed themselves into their places, trampled their bodies, and forced themselves forward, as if seeking death of purpose.
Correct version:
Some men fell as if struck by lightning; others pushed themselves into their places, trampled their bodies, and forced themselves forward, as if seeking death on purpose.

Scanned version:
Evidently the storm continued there yet in full force, and judging from the feverish musketry-tire, the Swedes were not thinking of surrender.
Correct version:
Evidently the storm continued there yet in full force, and judging from the feverish musketry-fire, the Swedes were not thinking of surrender.

Scanned version:
Crowds of stormers were circling around it convulsively, not being able to enter and perishing for nothing in a cross tire; for bullets were rained on them from the Kraków gate as thickly as sand.
Correct version:
Crowds of stormers were circling around it convulsively, not being able to enter and perishing for nothing in a cross fire; for bullets were rained on them from the Kraków gate as thickly as sand.

Scanned version:
Nearly all the troops—that is, the troops of the kingdom under the hetmans, Czarniecki's division, the Lithuanians under Sapieha, and an immense crowd of general militia, together with the camp servants—assembled around his Majesty; or all were curious to see those Swedes with whom a few hours before they had fought so terribly and bloodily.
Correct version:
Nearly all the troops—that is, the troops of the kingdom under the hetmans, Czarniecki's division, the Lithuanians under Sapieha, and an immense crowd of general militia, together with the camp servants—assembled around his Majesty; for all were curious to see those Swedes with whom a few hours before they had fought so terribly and bloodily.

This line I left as it is as I do not physically have a copy of the printed original to compare it with:
The immense throng of general militia moved violently, precisely like standing grain when a hurricane is sweeping around it with giant wing.

I am assuming that the translator deliberately chose not to write 'with a giant wing'.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Great job! :clap:

So far, Sections 39-42 are PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 43-45 are PL OK! :thumbs:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: October 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm Hi!
Could I please read Chapter LV?
Hi :) Do you mean chapter XLVI (section 50)?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

Piotrek81 wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:47 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote: October 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm Hi!
Could I please read Chapter LV?
Hi :) Do you mean chapter XLVI (section 50)?
I mean sec 60, 2750 words.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, section assigned :) Have fun.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
HannaPonomarenko

Hi! Could you please advise how to correctly prononse Olenka?
Initially I wanted to say it in Ukrainian manner, but the name stands for Olena which comes from Elena, not Oleksandra :hmm: In Russian version of Potop's wikipage the name is prononsed with soft n - Olen'ka, which coinsidentally is shorten from Russian name Olga. :help:
Do you have a prononsiation guide?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:15 am Hi! Could you please advise how to correctly prononse Olenka?
Initially I wanted to say it in Ukrainian manner, but the name stands for Olena which comes from Elena, not Oleksandra :hmm: In Russian version of Potop's wikipage the name is prononsed with soft n - Olen'ka, which coinsidentally is shorten from Russian name Olga. :help:
Hi. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian or Russian, but in the Polish original the name is "Oleńka" (with soft "n").
HannaPonomarenko

Piotrek81 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:30 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:15 am Hi! Could you please advise how to correctly prononse Olenka?
Hi. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian or Russian, but in the Polish original the name is "Oleńka" (with soft "n").
Ok, and the stress is on "O", isn't it?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

No, the stress is on the second syllable ("le").
HannaPonomarenko

Thank you) One more question: is "l" hard? I think yes. I'm sorry for bothering it's just unlike my native language but seemingly like :lol:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:13 am Thank you) One more question: is "l" hard? I think yes. I'm sorry for bothering it's just unlike my native language but seemingly like :lol:
I don't think I understand your question. Can you elaborate?
HannaPonomarenko

Piotrek81 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:41 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:13 am Thank you) One more question: is "l" hard? I think yes. I'm sorry for bothering it's just unlike my native language but seemingly like :lol:
I don't think I understand your question. Can you elaborate?
Sure, is "l" ("L") hard in Olenka?