1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
mcam2094

Post by mcam2094 » July 26th, 2020, 7:33 am

Hello,
Here is my 1-minute test raw mp3.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mcam2094.mp3
I used Audacity 2.4.2 and a USB mic. There was one issue I had while exporting my file — in Format Options, the selections I'm given for bit rate mode are Pre-set, Variable, and Average. I'm only showed the option to select 128kbps quality when I choose Average mode. Is anyone else encountering this problem while trying to export in Audacity?
-Margaret

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 26th, 2020, 12:48 pm

We've had the same problem with another member posting their test here: viewtopic.php?p=1754359#p1754359
but we haven't found a solution, or the reason.
The member tried to show me a picture of what her Export Window looks like, but I couldn't see the image.
I suspect it might be that the interface is just not showing correctly all options, not that the option is not there... I guess one way to find that out is to use the "right arrow" key in the keyboard. That is, when you are in the export Window, click on "Preset", so that the dot is in that circle, then press the right arrow in the keyboard to move the dot to the next option "Variable", press again to move it to "Average". Then press again; does it stay on "Average" as if that is the last option, or does it disappear, presumably moving on to "Constant" which is not visible in the window? If it does disappear, then it must be on "Constant" and you should then be able to choose the option "128 kbps" on the Quality drop-down underneath. Then click "Save" to export with the correct bitrate, and Audacity will (hopefully) keep these settings for all future exports.
But if "Average" remains the last option, let me know and I will investigate further online.
Thank you!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 26th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Oh, by the way, Welcome to Librivox :D

I would also like to mention that I found the volume a bit louder than the desired level, and so the background noise was a bit more audible. I suppose the Noise Reduction will take care of it! Here's a picture guide for you to try and see if it makes any difference: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics#Clean_up_the_Noise:_Audacity_versions_from_2.1.0

We can check those things again when we get the bitrate correct, as sometimes bit-rate may affect volume, so we'll check again later :)

mcam2094

Post by mcam2094 » July 30th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Thank you for listening and for the feedback!

I was unable to toggle using the arrow key to select the constant bit rate mode, so I'm still trying to troubleshoot that problem. In the meantime, I switched to recording on my bf's PC, which gave me all the settings I needed to export properly. So if all sounds good, I will record on his computer from here on out. Hopefully this corrected the volume issue too.

Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mcam2094.mp3

Thank you!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 31st, 2020, 4:46 am

Tech specs are now correct! :thumbs:

The volume went too soft. In numbers it measures about 77dB, while target volume is 89dB. Can you record with a higher volume? Optionally, If you'd like to check the volume of your recording you might consider using the Checker, a nifty little tool that checks volume and a few other things https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

If microphone input volume is already at its max ( if the microphone slider in Audacity can't go further up), then you can use the effect "Amplify..." after recording, to bring the volume up. It most probably will bring the background noise up, too, so then you can apply Noise Reduction.

mcam2094

Post by mcam2094 » August 8th, 2020, 10:04 am

Thank you for the info!

How is this one?
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mcam2094.mp3

I cleaned up the noise and increased the mic input volume.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » August 9th, 2020, 3:16 am

Much much better, but still just a little softer than desired. You can go by the visual hint of the waveform peaking above the 0.5 mark in Audacity (the waveform in the latest recording is still under the 0.5 mark). It would need about 3-4 dB Amplification.

With a heads up on the volume, I would say you're good to go! Browse the forum for projects that interest you, and have fun recording! :clap:

mcam2094

Post by mcam2094 » August 9th, 2020, 11:03 am

Got it, I'll ensure that I have 3-4 dB Amplification for my first recording and here on out. Thank you for your help!