[COMPLETE] Entertaining Made Easy - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

AUGH! Even with a sticky note reminder on the computer desktop! :shock: Anyway, the time for 11 is 2:58 and the time for 18 is 1:15.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
phdupont

Post by phdupont »

Hi! Can I please claim 27 and 30? I think they're both open.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

phdupont wrote: July 25th, 2020, 12:38 pm Hi! Can I please claim 27 and 30? I think they're both open.
Absolutely!

First though phdupont, I need to set you up as a reader in Librivox. Your sign in is phdupont and that is what is used in the forums. What name do you want to be credited with externally for the chapters/books that you read? For example I am lmnei in Librivox but I use my real name Lynda Marie Neilson for my external credits. Some people use their real name some people use an alias - it is sort of 50/50. I just need to know that and then I can assign the chapters to you!

Lynda
phdupont

Post by phdupont »

Lmnei wrote: July 25th, 2020, 1:50 pm
phdupont wrote: July 25th, 2020, 12:38 pm Hi! Can I please claim 27 and 30? I think they're both open.
Absolutely!

First though phdupont, I need to set you up as a reader in Librivox. Your sign in is phdupont and that is what is used in the forums. What name do you want to be credited with externally for the chapters/books that you read? For example I am lmnei in Librivox but I use my real name Lynda Marie Neilson for my external credits. Some people use their real name some people use an alias - it is sort of 50/50. I just need to know that and then I can assign the chapters to you!

Lynda
Thanks for the heads up, Lynda! Can you credit me as Phebe Hays?
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

phdupont wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:13 am
Thanks for the heads up, Lynda! Can you credit me as Phebe Hays?
Hi Phebe - Sections 27 and 30 are now assigned to you. Also I have created your reader page now - it is at https://librivox.org/reader/14716. This is where you can keep track of all the books and their sections that are assigned to you and where they are in process (for you to read, waiting for PL, PL feedback, PL OK which means finished).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lynda
phdupont

Post by phdupont »

Hi!

I've done Section 27 (4:08) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_27_burt_128kb.mp3
and Section 30 (4:40) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_30_burt_128kb.mp3

I ran them through the checker and they passed, but please let me know if I need to change anything!

-Phebe
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

phdupont wrote: July 26th, 2020, 1:52 pm Hi!

I've done Section 27 (4:08) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_27_burt_128kb.mp3
and Section 30 (4:40) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_30_burt_128kb.mp3

I ran them through the checker and they passed, but please let me know if I need to change anything!

-Phebe
Phebe - your readings are EXCELLENT! :clap: :thumbs: :clap: I really enjoyed listening to them! Just some technical issues that we need to take care of and they are similar for both sections:

Section 27 –
Volume is at 92.0 – should be between (86–92 dB) and we aim for 89.0
Your DC Bias is off – not sure if your checker shows this or not – easy to fix – see below.
You do have some medium background noise at 40.4 – should be in the 20-30’s – easy to fix – see below.
Please leave a 5 full seconds at the end of your recording.

Section 30 –
Volume is 91.0 which is technically OK - we aim for 89.0
Your DC Bias is spot on at Zero which is awesome!
You do have some medium background noise at 38.4 – should be in the 20-30’s – we will fix this one too.

Instructions –

We are going to do this in a particular order as the volume is affected when we do the Noise Reduction. So I find this is the best order and actually the way I do my recordings as I very often have these issues too when recording –

We will work on Section 27 first –

Highlight the whole recording - I just do Alt-A
For DC Bias and to set it to Zero go to Effect > Normalize and select OK. Do not change any of the settings.
For Background Noise (keep the recording highlighted) go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select Get Noise Profile. It is VERY fast on short recordings. Now with recording still highlighted go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and set the options to 6, 6.0 and 3 and then Reduce and select OK. You will see it process.
Now, I normally Export the recording at this point in time to see what my volume number is at as you were high and it will have come down. For example, when I did this just now on your recording, it is now at 87.7 dB. Now that is not 89 db however it is within the range so you can leave it there.
If you want, as you still have to add the extra second onto this section at the end, you can increase your volume to 89 dB and that is very easy to do – which is something you should probably learn.
Open the recording again and highlight the whole thing.
To increase (or decrease) volume go to Effect > Amplify. In the box you need to either add or subtract the amount you want to increase or decrease the volume of the recording. In this case we will enter 1.3 and press OK.
Now go to the end of the recording – in case you do not know how to add silence there are two ways – one through Audacity menu and the way I do it which is copy and paste and much faster! Just highlight about a second of silent area (where there is a thin line) and copy (Alt-C) and then put your cursor where you want it and then do Alt-V which is paste. You can also use the menu items for Copy and Paste 😊
Now you are done editing this Section! Please export it and run it through your Checker to make sure things are as you want them and then do Section 30,

Section 30

Highlight the whole recording
For the Background Noise, highlight the recording and go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select Get Noise Profile. Now with recording still highlighted go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and set the first option this time to 3 (the others are the same) and select OK.
At this point you should export this recording and bring it up in Checker. As you have reduced the Background Noise your volume has gone down and it might be closer to 89 dB now. In my test of this it went to 88.4 dB which is perfect!
If it is too far down, then follow the instructions for Section 27 to get it back up to 89 dB.
Then Export and check it and you are done!

Please re-upload using the original file names and post the links and times for me and I will check your technical settings this time.

NOTE: For Noise Reduction you can play with the first setting on the 2nd pass – for Section 27 it was 6 and Section 30 it was 3. I did the 6 for a reason – I wanted to show you how to increase volume. Most of the time mine is set at 3 for the first setting as my recordings come in at about 91 to 92 dB too and they just have to go down a bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions – I got a bit carried away here – I am outside and the weather is just beautiful so I just kept on writing!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

jayscribe wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:15 am I've finished my two recordings!

Section 35, 1:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_35_burt_128kb.mp3

Section 36, 3:32
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_36_burt_128kb.mp3

Don't hesitate to me know if anything needs fixing.

Jay
Hi Jay! Both recordings are excellent! One minor thing that I need you to change for each one and then they will be PL OK. Please open each recording and leave only 5 seconds of silence at the end. You have a considerable longer amount of silence remaining and we need to cut it off at 5 so each recording plays nicely after each other.

Then keeping the names the same, upload and post the links and times in a new post to me.

For future recordings please keep the silence between paragraphs to a minimum - sometimes you have a second between paras and sometimes not. It will just improve the listening pleasure for your readers.

Again, excellent job with your reading!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: July 18th, 2020, 9:18 am
Bookworm360 wrote: July 17th, 2020, 6:54 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_11_burt_128kb.mp3
And here is the last one, lasting 2:58.(Finally I remember to put the time :wink: )
Hi there!

Great recording! Two PL items today -

Please remove "this recording is in the Public Domain" as it is not listed as part of the Extro
Also, please ensure there are 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording after you say End of Section 11.

Lynda
Hi there! This recording is now PK OK! :clap:

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

BabebrahamSlinkin wrote: July 18th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Oh wow, that's so helpful! Thank you!! I am not familiar with the checker, but I will get to work on your changes and keep an eye out for that link. Thanks so much!
Edit: never mind, found the checker. Here's the link with the revisions:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_16_burt_128kb.mp3
This recording is now PL OK! Way to go! :clap:

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Bookworm360 wrote: July 19th, 2020, 6:45 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_18_burt_128kb.mp3
Here's the new-and-improved Section 18! :D
Note: This is a re-recording of it, because the piano was louder than the noisecleaning capability of Audacity. :shock:
Hi there! Thanks for letting me know that you re-recorded Section 18. Normally, once a person PL's your work we just check the spots that needed to be fixed however sometimes re-recording is needed and when that happens you do need to let the person PL'ing that they need to listen to the whole recording.

Here are the PL Notes for this recording.

PLEASE SLOW YOUR READING DOWN. This is my 2nd request. It is not a race! People want to be able to understand what you are reading. Please take a breath between paragraphs, titles, intro and extro for the reading. It will also sound much better.

00:00 - You need to leave :05 to :1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. If you do not the beginning will get cut off when the book is compiled. Please increase the silence at the beginning to between 1/2 and 1 second as you are starting immediately which is way too soon.

You need to leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording - currently there are only 4 seconds. Again, this time is needed during the production phase.

Lastly, if you look at the Checker Tool, you still have a considerable amount of "noise" in your recording. It is a white type of noise - do you have a fan or air conditioner running? Or are you sitting next to your computer when recording? It is at 49.9 dB and we like to see it in the 20-30 dB range. I tried playing around with your recording and I was able to get it down a bit (which will also affect your volume) to 39.9 dB and I think that is as far as it is going to go. I did a mixture of Noise Reduction (settings 6, 6.0 and 3) and Compressor (only change was to compress 4:1 ratio) and then Amplify and I entered -2.1 in the field.

If you look at the feedback I provided earlier today to another reader you can read able the Noise Reduction process and Amplify (except you will be entering a negative amount to reduce from above 90 down to about 89 dB) and then the Compressor is new. The Compressor compresses your file so that you can use the Amplify feature. Compressing puts the high high's and low lows from your recording into a more even structure.

I hope this helps you - please try editing this file instead of recording again - you do need to learn how to edit files as when and if you record longer sections - such as 30 to 45 minutes long, you are not going to want to re-record them. Instead you are going to want to fix them to meet the Librivox standards.

Please le me know if you have any questions - we want this process to be as easy as possible for you - however there is a learning curve at the beginning! :)

Lynda
phdupont

Post by phdupont »

Lmnei wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm
phdupont wrote: July 26th, 2020, 1:52 pm Hi!

-Phebe
Phebe - your readings are EXCELLENT! :clap: :thumbs: :clap: I really enjoyed listening to them! Just some technical issues that we need to take care of and they are similar for both sections:

Section 27 –
Volume is at 92.0 – should be between (86–92 dB) and we aim for 89.0
Your DC Bias is off – not sure if your checker shows this or not – easy to fix – see below.
You do have some medium background noise at 40.4 – should be in the 20-30’s – easy to fix – see below.
Please leave a 5 full seconds at the end of your recording.

Section 30 –
Volume is 91.0 which is technically OK - we aim for 89.0
Your DC Bias is spot on at Zero which is awesome!
You do have some medium background noise at 38.4 – should be in the 20-30’s – we will fix this one too.

Instructions –

We are going to do this in a particular order as the volume is affected when we do the Noise Reduction. So I find this is the best order and actually the way I do my recordings as I very often have these issues too when recording –

We will work on Section 27 first –

Highlight the whole recording - I just do Alt-A
For DC Bias and to set it to Zero go to Effect > Normalize and select OK. Do not change any of the settings.
For Background Noise (keep the recording highlighted) go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select Get Noise Profile. It is VERY fast on short recordings. Now with recording still highlighted go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and set the options to 6, 6.0 and 3 and then Reduce and select OK. You will see it process.
Now, I normally Export the recording at this point in time to see what my volume number is at as you were high and it will have come down. For example, when I did this just now on your recording, it is now at 87.7 dB. Now that is not 89 db however it is within the range so you can leave it there.
If you want, as you still have to add the extra second onto this section at the end, you can increase your volume to 89 dB and that is very easy to do – which is something you should probably learn.
Open the recording again and highlight the whole thing.
To increase (or decrease) volume go to Effect > Amplify. In the box you need to either add or subtract the amount you want to increase or decrease the volume of the recording. In this case we will enter 1.3 and press OK.
Now go to the end of the recording – in case you do not know how to add silence there are two ways – one through Audacity menu and the way I do it which is copy and paste and much faster! Just highlight about a second of silent area (where there is a thin line) and copy (Alt-C) and then put your cursor where you want it and then do Alt-V which is paste. You can also use the menu items for Copy and Paste 😊
Now you are done editing this Section! Please export it and run it through your Checker to make sure things are as you want them and then do Section 30,

Section 30

Highlight the whole recording
For the Background Noise, highlight the recording and go to Effect > Noise Reduction and select Get Noise Profile. Now with recording still highlighted go back to Effect > Noise Reduction and set the first option this time to 3 (the others are the same) and select OK.
At this point you should export this recording and bring it up in Checker. As you have reduced the Background Noise your volume has gone down and it might be closer to 89 dB now. In my test of this it went to 88.4 dB which is perfect!
If it is too far down, then follow the instructions for Section 27 to get it back up to 89 dB.
Then Export and check it and you are done!

Please re-upload using the original file names and post the links and times for me and I will check your technical settings this time.

NOTE: For Noise Reduction you can play with the first setting on the 2nd pass – for Section 27 it was 6 and Section 30 it was 3. I did the 6 for a reason – I wanted to show you how to increase volume. Most of the time mine is set at 3 for the first setting as my recordings come in at about 91 to 92 dB too and they just have to go down a bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions – I got a bit carried away here – I am outside and the weather is just beautiful so I just kept on writing!

Lynda
Lynda, you are an ANGEL. Thank you so much for walking me through that-- I'm new to editing/Audacity, so I really appreciate the help.
Here are my adjusted recordings:
27 (4:09) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_27_burt_128kb.mp3
30 (4:40) https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/entertainingmadeeasy_30_burt_128kb.mp3

Phebe
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Phebe -

Sections 27 and 30 and PL OK! Wonderful job! :clap: :thumbs:

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks so very much! I will hopefully listen to them today -

Lynda