COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 076 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Yay, I managed to squeak into this one!

Here is "Nanook of the North" by Robert E. Sherwood (soon to become a famous playwright). (1896-1955)

Source: https://archive.org/details/bestmovingpictur00robe/page/n29/mode/2up

File:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_nanook_sherwood_cm_128kb.mp3

11:26

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ColleenMc wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:46 am Yay, I managed to squeak into this one!

Here is "Nanook of the North" by Robert E. Sherwood (soon to become a famous playwright). (1896-1955)

Colleen
Many thanks, Colleen! :) I thought this was quite a perceptive review. I've never seen the movie, but it is available to download and screen from our local public library--so something for me to do later today!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Neat!

It's considered one of the first documentaries (in terms of being composed and constructed to tell a nonfiction story, as opposed to the many films at that point that were just cameras pointed at people giving speeches or working or walking around on the streets) so we watched an excerpt from it in a university film class but I've never seen more than that clip.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Colleen for Nanook of the North :D

PLOK

Pathé or Pathé Frères (French pronunciation: ​[pate fʁɛʁ], styled as PATHÉ!) is the name of various French businesses that were founded and originally run by the Pathé Brothers of France starting in 1896. In the early 1900s, Pathé became the world's largest film equipment and production company, as well as a major producer of phonograph records.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I don't know if they are still around now, but I remember seeing that name a lot in the opening cards of lots of classic French movies (New Wave and such) and maybe into the 80s/90s...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

soupy

Post by soupy »

And here is Nanook himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IAcRjBq93Y

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
michaelb71

Post by michaelb71 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_strengthanddecency_roosevelt_mb_128kb.mp3

First ever submission. Please provide feedback for improvement. I use Audacity and a USB mic. What "filter curve" choices are best to reduce mouth noise? I know it's best to minimize mouth noise before processing--and I'm working on that part:)

Thanks,
Michael
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

michaelb71 wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:44 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf076_strengthanddecency_roosevelt_mb_128kb.mp3

First ever submission. Please provide feedback for improvement. I use Audacity and a USB mic. What "filter curve" choices are best to reduce mouth noise? I know it's best to minimize mouth noise before processing--and I'm working on that part:)

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael, Welcome to LibriVox and to the Nonfiction Collection! :) Theodore Roosevelt's speech, "Strength and Decency" is a great pick for a first read for LibriVox. "Practice what you preach" is timeless advice. "There is no good in preaching to your boys to be brave, if you run away. There is no good in your preaching to them to tell the truth if you do not. There is no good in your preaching to them to be unselfish if they see you selfish with your wife, disregardful of others." :)

-----------

There are a few things that we need from you in order to include your recording in Vol. 076. First and foremost, we need a citation to the public domain source of Roosevelt's speech from which you read. We prefer (actually require) that the source be from a published book, magazine, newspaper etc. printed before 1924. Secondary sources such as Wiki Source and educational course curriculum do not always transcribe materials accurately.

I listened to your recording along with a copy of Roosevelt's speech from this book:
Addresses and Presidential Messages of Theodore Roosevelt, 1902-1904, with an introduction by Henry Cabot Lodge (1904). https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000576063. If you look at this source, you will see that the copy of Roosevelt's speech from which you read, leaves out the beginning of the speech, including where and when it was read, and Roosevelt's opening remarks to the "Very Reverend Dean, reverend Clergy, and you, of the Holy Name Society." I think it would be a good idea to include this material in your recording.

We do not require "word perfect" recordings for the Nonfiction Collection, but we try to come as close to word perfect as we can when we are recording something like a speech by a former President of the United States. Your recording deviated in a few places from the text I was following. (I don't know, of course, whether these were deviations from the source you followed....)

So-- to begin: I have put your recording into the Magic Window, as the 20th selection in Volume 076. Over all, you are coming along fine. Your recording is clear and easy to understand. Your volume etc. was passed by the LibriVox "Checker" app, so all is well on that account. We do need your source, however. It would also be best to include the full title and date given (To the Holy Name Society at Oyster Bay, New York, August 16, 1903) and the first few sentences of the speech, which you left out.

Once we have the complete speech, from a PD source, the SNF dedicated proof listener Soupy (Craig) will give it a listen and if there are any textual corrections he feels need to be made, he will let you know, by posting here in the thread.

We are pleased that you have chosen to make your first recording for LibriVox a contribution to the Short Nonfiction Collection! :) Craig, as DPL, and I (as Book Coordinator) are here to answer your questions and help you bring your first recording project to completion.

-----------

One other thing--How do you want to be listed in the LibriVox catalog? You can be be listed by your forum name (michaelb71), by your real name, or some other name entirely. Also, if your have a website we can list a URL along with your name. Please let me know about the catalog listing.

Best wishes,
Sue (Book Coordinator)
michaelb71

Post by michaelb71 »

Thank you for your direction and feedback. I'll get the citation and update recording sent in the near future. In regards to catalog listing, michaelb71 is sufficient for now. Can i change to my full name at a later time? I'd like to first get some experience.

Thanks,
Michael
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

michaelb71 wrote: July 27th, 2020, 6:00 pm Thank you for your direction and feedback. I'll get the citation and update recording sent in the near future. In regards to catalog listing, michaelb71 is sufficient for now. Can i change to my full name at a later time? I'd like to first get some experience.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael, Yes, you can change your catalog name at a later date; it will apply to any recordings made subsequent to the change. The recordings made prior to the change will continue to be listed under michaelb71.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

PM to michaelb71 re edits needed by August 9, with suggestion that selection could be postponed for volume 077.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations! This collection is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-076-by-various/
Jo