[COMPLETE] On Ephesians by St Chrysostom - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Homilies on Ephesians by St. John Chrysostom (c. 349 - c. 407). Edited by Philip Schaff. ( - )

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/homilies-on-ephesians-by-st-john-chrysostom/
From The Argument:
“Ephesus is the metropolis of Asia. It was dedicated to Diana, whom especially they worshipped there as their great goddess. Indeed so great was the superstition of her worshippers, that when her temple was burnt, they would not so much as divulge the name of the man who burnt it. The blessed John the Evangelist spent the chief part of his time there: he was there when he was banished and there he died. It was there too that Paul left Timothy, as he says in writing to him, “As I exhorted thee to tarry at Ephesus.”

“Most of the philosophers also, those more particularly who flourished in Asia, were there; and even Pythagoras himself is said to have come from thence; perhaps because Samos, whence he really came, is an island of Ionia. It was the resort also of the disciples of Parmenides, and Zeno, and Democritus, and you may see a number of philosophers there even to the present day.

“These facts I mention, not merely as such, but with a view of showing that Paul would needs take great pains and trouble in writing to these Ephesians. He is said indeed to have entrusted them, as being persons already well-instructed, with his profoundest conceptions; and the Epistle itself is full of sublime thoughts and doctrines.

“He wrote the Epistle from Rome, and, as he himself informs us, in bonds. “Pray for me, that utterance may be given unto me, in opening my mouth to make known with boldness the mystery of the Gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains.” It abounds with sentiments of overwhelming loftiness and grandeur. Thoughts which he scarcely so much as utters any where else, he here plainly declares; as when he says, “To the intent that now unto the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places might be made known through the Church the manifold wisdom of God.” And again; “He raised us up with him, and made us to sit with him in heavenly places.” And again; “Which in other generations was not made known unto the sons of men, as it hath now been revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit, that the Gentiles are fellow-heirs, and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ.”” (St John Chrysostom)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf113/npnf113.iii.iv.i.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: aOvzEubQ

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (St. John Chrysostom) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chrysostom

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================[/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Commentary

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Homilies on Ephesians. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Homilies on Ephesians, by St. John Chrysostom. Translated by Gross Alexander ( - ) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Homilies on Ephesians by St. John Chrysostom. Translated by Gross Alexander ( - ) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Homilies on Ephesians, by St. John Chrysostom. Translated by Gross Alexander ( - )"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename homiliesonephesians_##_chrysostom_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. homiliesonephesians_01_chrysostom_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: St. John Chrysostom
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Homilies on Ephesians

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by Monaxi on September 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings! I can't find the copyright date for this particular volume at CCEL. Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Sister! I can MC and DPL this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! I am still looking to see if I can find a copyright date, but anything the Schaff has done is dated in the late 1800's.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Found it! 1886!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Ann! I was so happy to see that we'll be working together again, and again on Chrysostom! I rushed to launch the project before leaving town yesterday, and I have to confess that I sneaked a peek at my LV notifications before going to church this morning. I was delighted to get your message, and this on the day of Sts Peter and Paul.

Should I use Philip Schaff or Gross Alexander for this project?

I'll be back tomorrow to get organized. Thank you, Ann!

Peace be with you,
Sister
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Sister!

I hope Mass was lovely! It is so nice to be back to Mass, but I have a feeling that we won't have it for too much longer. That is the way of things here in California!

I would use Philip Schaff as the translator, or even as editor. Here is the wikipedia link for the Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_and_Post-Nicene_Fathers This article states that he was commissioned to put these volumes together. I'm not sure if you really need to have Schaff mentioned, maybe at the beginning then at the very end. Do whatever you think is best!

I'm going to go ahead and move us over to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Wow! I guess you were right about the churches being closed again in CA! I'm so sorry! We've been opening up so slowly here in NY, but I don't really expect the guidelines to get better. I'm guessing we're either stuck where we are or will be closed again, too.

btw: The first two sections are ready for you. Let me know if the introductions are okay. Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The Argument is PL OK!

It is so bad here! There are a lot of angry people because many businesses just opened up, now they have to close, even though those businesses are doing everything that the county mandated, and more. I hope this lockdown doesn't last as long as the last one, but I think this will continue until after the election...or if the governor gets recalled. This time, I have plenty of toilet paper! :lol:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Ann! Section 02 is ready for you.

It's strange here -- as if people are living in parallel universes. And, that makes any idea of planning for even the near future impossible.

Recording these projects is especially important to keeping me on track. Being busy with something that benefits my soul, and just maybe a few others, too, helps me tremendously. Our lives were stressful enough before the virus and lockdown.

Anyway, thanks for your help here. Peace be with you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Sister!

Section 1 is PL OK!

I know what you are saying! I have been finding myself wondering what day it happens to be, I used to do that only when I was super busy. Now I'm not busy at all, so weird! But, we are all figuring out how to work around the setbacks, we are having one Mass in English, the other in Latin, outside in the back parking lot. It will be interesting to see how many people show up, and how this will work. The government, or this virus, will not keep us from Mass! I'm also trying to figure out how to continue faith formation for the kids when we are not allowed to meet in person. I think I have a solution, but I need to research it some before I decide that this is it!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hi, Ann! Homily 3 is ready for you!

I have the same problem keeping track of the days, and our lifestyle actually should make that easier, but I have to stop and deliberately think about it. I miss teaching Sunday school, but I don't see a way to do that yet.

Anyway, this homily is awesome! I made notes for me to be sure to listen to it again.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Ann! Section 04 is ready for you (also quite intense!) Thank you!

Peace be with you,
Sister
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Sister!

Sections 2 and 3 are PL OK! Section 3 was a great one, I can't wait to listen to the next one!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Hello, Ann! Homily 5 is ready for you. Thank you!

We were able to have a priest here for private services today. Thank God! Have a blessed weekend and Lord's Day!

Peace be with you,
Sister