Checker 0.96 and bit rate in the file name question.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

Some (all?) the 2 or 3 recordings I've completed required *_128kb.mp3 in the file name. Checker v0.96 throws a Validation error saying standard names should not include the bit rate information. Just ignore this right?

Kind regards,

DeBug
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I had to test this out for myself, because I've never seen that error message in Checker. It apparently shows up when you have it set for "strict" validation.

Yes, please ignore that. It has been a requirement for a while now, in order to properly derive the files over at Archive.org (where are files are hosted). :)

You can probably just stick with "gentle" validation all the way around.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DeBug

Post by DeBug »

Cool. I'll put it back to Gentle.

Thank you!

DeBug
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!
dg73

Post by dg73 »

I have a question on the checker. I am a broadcast engineer IRL and have used quite a few DAW's and am used to measuring audio levels from a reference. For ex NPR wants production levels to be -24db LUFS (loudness units full scale) +- 2 db for submission, for consistent loudness. Where is the 86 to 92 referenced from? Is it db above noise floor?

Just curious.Thanks.
Dan Gurzynski
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm pretty sure Checker measures it from... zero, because when you run noise reduction, the measured volume decreases.

This, of course, doesn't give the absolute best results, since people's noise is different. But we're not overly technical/professional here. We developed somewhat freely, as did the technicals such as volume requirements. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Yes, it's relative to 0 dB SPL, not the noise floor. All the gory details are here.

I know LUFS are all the fashion but FWIW I think that ReplayGain is still a good standard and it works well for Librivox.
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Very good. I never saw that page description or used replay gain before. Thanks much.
Dan Gurzynski