[COMPLETE] Strength of the Strong by Jack London - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, that was interesting! Too bad he was executed on December 4, 1941 rather than December 7. :P

Definitely not your stereotypical Jack London.

PL OK, although I'd suggest in future recordings to shorten the silence between the text and the "end of" message. I wasn't sure if it was coming. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

TriciaG wrote: July 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm Well, that was interesting! Too bad he was executed on December 4, 1941 rather than December 7. :P

PL OK, although I'd suggest in future recordings to shorten the silence between the text and the "end of" message. I wasn't sure if it was coming. :)
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Would you like me to take a second to fix it & re-upload, or is it better to leave it as it? Can do either, let me know :D
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
ZeppyJ45

Post by ZeppyJ45 »

Sections three and four are done!

Section three: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/strengthofthestrong_03_london_128kbs.mp3 (duration 17:57)

Section four: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/strengthofthestrong_04_london_128kbs.mp3 (duration 16:20)

Please let me know if these require any edits.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!

Section 3 is a bit loud. Could you de-amplify it by about 4 dB?

Otherwise they're PL OK. :)

(Err, note that the file name ends in 128kb rather than kbs. Don't worry about it on these, but keep it in mind on future recordings since it can mess up the cataloging process. When I make a recording, I copy-paste the file name from the first post, then plug in my section number.) :)
gerberock

Post by gerberock »

Just uploaded Part 1 of The Dream of Debs:

Section 9 (21:46): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/strengthofthestrong_09_london_128kb.mp3.mp3

Jason
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! PL will probably be this evening. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 9 PL OK

Nicely read!

I notice your file name has an extra .mp3 in it. You don't need to add it to the file name; the software will do that for you. :)
gerberock

Post by gerberock »

TriciaG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 4:40 pm Section 9 PL OK

Nicely read!

I notice your file name has an extra .mp3 in it. You don't need to add it to the file name; the software will do that for you. :)
Thanks Tricia. Whoops! got a little carried away with the copy/paste of the filename. Want me to re-upload it with the right filename?
ZeppyJ45

Post by ZeppyJ45 »

TriciaG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 6:42 am Thanks!

Section 3 is a bit loud. Could you de-amplify it by about 4 dB?

Otherwise they're PL OK. :)

(Err, note that the file name ends in 128kb rather than kbs. Don't worry about it on these, but keep it in mind on future recordings since it can mess up the cataloging process. When I make a recording, I copy-paste the file name from the first post, then plug in my section number.) :)
Argh, of course >< Thank you for the note!

Here is the new, quieter section three:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/strengthofthestrong_03_london_128kb.mp3 (duration 17:57). Hope it's okay, but happy to edit if not.

Incidentally, do you know if there is any way to easily tell how many decibels a recording is in Audacity? I can only really go by whether the peaks and troughs reach -0.5 - 0.5... And then the export seems to change that!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OooThatsNifty wrote: July 21st, 2020, 9:36 pm
TriciaG wrote: July 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm Well, that was interesting! Too bad he was executed on December 4, 1941 rather than December 7. :P

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Would you like me to take a second to fix it & re-upload, or is it better to leave it as it? Can do either, let me know :D
I'm okay either way; it's your choice. :)
gerberock wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm
TriciaG wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 4:40 pm Section 9 PL OK

Nicely read!

Thanks Tricia. Whoops! got a little carried away with the copy/paste of the filename. Want me to re-upload it with the right filename?
Nah - if that's all that's wrong with it, I can easily fix it at cataloging time.
ZeppyJ45 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 3:27 am Argh, of course >< Thank you for the note!

Here is the new, quieter section three:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/strengthofthestrong_03_london_128kb.mp3 (duration 17:57). Hope it's okay, but happy to edit if not.

Incidentally, do you know if there is any way to easily tell how many decibels a recording is in Audacity? I can only really go by whether the peaks and troughs reach -0.5 - 0.5... And then the export seems to change that!
It's OK now - thanks!

Hmm. The export shouldn't change the volume. The two instances I could think of that happening is (1) you're recording in stereo, then forcing it down to mono. If one of the channels is significantly quieter, it'll drag down the overall volume when they're combined into one; or (2) you accidentally bumped one of the little sliders on the left side of the track, the one for Gain. That'll drop the volume down.

To measure volume directly in Audacity, you need to install the plugin called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

Otherwise, you could export the file as MP3 then use the Checker program: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
ZeppyJ45

Post by ZeppyJ45 »

Wow, thank you so much! This is really helpful. I'm quite new here, and want to do a good job, so really appreciate the help.
gerberock

Post by gerberock »

bdanzige

Post by bdanzige »

Hi,
may I claim the 2 parts of unparalleled invasion?

bDanzige
bdanzige
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 10 downloaded; PL to come... errr, not exactly sure. :? Soon, though; I want to know what happens!
bdanzige wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:35 am Hi,
may I claim the 2 parts of unparalleled invasion?

bDanzige
You certainly may. Thanks!

That leaves the two hard stories (dialect isn't ever easy) open. :)
gerberock

Post by gerberock »

TriciaG wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:03 am Section 10 downloaded; PL to come... errr, not exactly sure. :? Soon, though; I want to know what happens!
Haha, I won't spoil it, but it gets pretty grim!