Librivox Global Gathering?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Gosh you do have grand plans!!! (But it sounds good.) We actually did something very similar to this back in may. http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4487 It was very fun for all, low attendance though. We basically had a bunch of small locations and we all gizmoed to each other.

I would love to participate but unless there was a meeting in Portland I coukdn't make it except by VoIP type technology. One thing I was thinking is that at least in Multnomah County any citizen can reserve a meeting room at a library free of cost. I don't know if any one else does this but I think it might work. Not as grand or hard as a whole trade show, which may cost a lot.
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

You're about 3 hours from me, Kristin.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

just piping up with my 2 cents... but I am strongly opposed to any sort of sponsorship or trade show type situation that is connected with the LV name... just seems against our core values

... of course, it probably doesn't matter much what I think as I likely won't be able to attend anywhere other than in Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois...
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
winahath

Post by winahath »

what are the LV core values so I don't trample on it again next time the light bulb flashes in my head?

Wina
[url]http://fieryblogmother.wordpress.com[/url]

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Try reading this:

http://librivox.org/about-librivox/

I think ad-free describes this aspect.

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
winahath

Post by winahath »

I was thinking along the lines of getting a sponsor for the event not for the Librivox website and the advertising part was not in link format or pop-up on the site but more of a day of the event ad. I was not looking for monetary gain.

I love gatherings and I got too excited. :P

oh well... another light bulb extinguished.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

Wina

Starlite

Post by Starlite »

An event is a great idea but a gathering may be the best way to do it. We tried to do this in may as Zach said but had little response. I did get to meet Sean (Ducttapeguy) though.

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
winahath

Post by winahath »

and the only way to achieve a world-wide gathering is if we planned a big one.

too bad, I didn't win the lottery last week. I'd have paid for everything just to make it happen! :lol:

if we have a gathering 2 years hence, maybe our members can plan early to go and we may have a better turn out. I'd travel to Europe or Canada.

Has anyone done a summary of how many members we have by country or region? curious...

Cory Newb

Post by Cory Newb »

I would be willing to go drive to most anywhere in Michigan, Ohio, or Southern Ontario (Near the Michigan borders). I am a college student working part time, so I don't have too much cash to get outside my immediate area.
winahath

Post by winahath »

if planning starts early, you and I may be able to start an LV travel fund.

I'm starting by collecting all the change from my family's pockets whenever I do the laundry. shouldn't take me too long!!! :lol:

I'd love to meet everyone.

Wina

earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hi Wina,

I love your enthusiasm! It's so infectious... :D

The conclusion I drew from May's Global Gathering (to which my contribution was an abortive attempt to arrange a London meeting, and a short skype call with Sean and Esther) is that we're too thinly spread for this to work. We have a great feeling of the world being a small place, and we're all wonderful friends, but in reality it would take a lot of people to give a lot of time (not to say money, as you've neatly dealt with that side of things :wink: ) to make a large meeting possible.

But there are small steps that will take us along the way.

Personally, I think that what makes LV a great community is our shared passion for reading/recording/listening. A meeting where that is possible will be better than meeting for the sake of it. Recording is possible in small groups, but difficult in large groups. Small groups also reduce the distance problem. And you get to know people a lot better that way.

What we've done here is to set up a 'UK Chapter' (sounds a bit cultish, I admit, but I liked the pun), and we meet every 2 months or so for a day of fun, food and recording. The numbers are manageable - between 4 and 8 - both in terms of the practicalities like seating and catering, and for recording; with too many people, each person wouldn't have much time at the mic. There are enough people living in or near London that you're not relying on the same people coming each time.

I'd hope that any LVers who come to the UK for a visit would make themselves known, and we can arrange something together.

Anyway, enough of London. You could start (as you are already in this thread) looking out for people who might be near enough to you to form a 'LibriVox Local' in a similar way. You'd only need two or three of you to get started. Take it in turns to host, so you all get a chance to both travel and stay at home. Perhaps look for something to read that has a local connection.

If it works and you have fun, make some noise about it here and perhaps others will start too. (Jim made a great podcast around our first meeting - I'll look it up in a second). Then, if the idea takes hold, there'll be a kind of framework on which to build the bigger meeting you're thinking about already.

Well, that's my suggestion. By the way, we have our (thinks...) fifth meeting here on Sunday. How about that? 8)

David

PS - http://librivox.org/2007/02/22/librivox-community-podcast-24/
winahath

Post by winahath »

that is, indeed, my problem. I tend to dream big and plan big. I overwhelm myself sometimes. Well, there was no harm in stirring up some interest and all that... a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step, right?

thanks for your suggestion of starting small and within our local area. I'm sure we already have quite a bit of LVers from North Carolina to start our own political party. I just have to round 'em up.

Next summer may be a good idea. I'll poke some people around to see if anyone shares the same fever.

I wish I can read more for LV but I am hampered by my accent most times and now by my vocal failure. I do what I can. I listened to some dramatical works on the catalog and thought that it may be a great idea to do one of those during a gathering...or am I being too ambitious again?

thanks for the inspiration.

Wina

kri

Post by kri »

winahath wrote:I wish I can read more for LV but I am hampered by my accent most times and now by my vocal failure.
Don't let your accent stop you, by all means!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

winahath wrote:I wish I can read more for LV but I am hampered by my accent most times...
Oh, it hurts to read that! Please put that thought aside. The accents here are wonderful. For every person that dislikes a voice, there are a hundred who love it. Seriously.
winahath wrote:I listened to some dramatical works on the catalog and thought that it may be a great idea to do one of those during a gathering...or am I being too ambitious again?
Not in the least. In fact, it was a dramatic work (King Lear - cast, recorded, edited and released in one week last Christmas) that got me thinking about group recordings.

Just imagine if this had been a real live group recording!

David
winahath

Post by winahath »

FANTASTIC WORK!! It was so streamlined that it sounded as if it was recorded in one group session instead of separate tracks.

you all did an excellent job! BRAVO!!! :clap: :clap:

As for me, I am my worst critic, I'm afraid. I slave over my lines for days and days and record my chapters over and over until I am worn out and I am still not satisfied.

I'll try not to be so hard on myself.

thanks again, David.

I am so amazed by your chinese readings!!

Wina