Germany access to the Files

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
fionaw

Post by fionaw »

Hi

I am new to Librivox and I was wondering if anyone that is narrating in Germany could offer any assistance to a work around for Gutenberg? I've searched through the files but there doesn't seem to be any information on how we can access the files. Am I right in thinking that a vpn is not a good solution? I'm not sure whether that would breach the PD laws. I would really love to start working on some projects but most of the books I've seen so far want the script to be from Gutenberg.

Many thanks in advance.

Fiona
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It might be better not to discuss this in the forum - we do respect other countries laws .

Anne
fionaw

Post by fionaw »

I'm not suggesting that I'm going to break the law at all. My point is that I don't want to break the law at all. I would love to be able to help and feel that I am unable too do so unless someone knows if the Gutenberg files are also available anywhere else? There was a big law case and no one in Germany is allowed to access the Gutenberg articles. As it states that the files must be read from these pages, I was just wondering if anyone in Germany had found perhaps the same files but contained on another server? I am sorry if I wasn't clear.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome to LV! :D

You should find German books on
https://www.hathitrust.org/
https://archive.org/

For German projects, we often use these sites in Germany
https://www.projekt-gutenberg.org/
http://www.zeno.org/

There is another list of lesser-known resources in our German book suggestions thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53741

The thing you'll need to be careful about is copyright.
In Germany, everything written by an author who is dead for 70+ years is in the public domain ("gemeinfrei")
In the US, everything published 95+ years ago is public domain.

If you want to read German works, you'll need to be careful that both conditions are met (unless you'd want to move to the US. :wink:)
Plus: we prefer if you'd read from a text that is public domain in the US - to avoid any Gutenberg-like issues.

I hope this helps, otherwise, just ask. (Gerne auch in unserem deutschen thread von oben :wink:)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
fionaw

Post by fionaw »

Vielen lieben Dank für die Antwort!

I want to be able to narrate the English books though and this seems more geared to narrating in German, which I am of course happy to do but I have slightly British accented German and I'm not sure if that would really be acceptable? I'll have a look carefully through all the files you have linked for me, it's really helpful.

Viele Grüße

Fiona
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I thought you wanted to access German books.
The reason for gutenberg to shut down all access from Germany was because a German book on there was contested by a German publisher...

Anyway, the first two links still work, many of the books on gutenberg are there as well. On occasion, we use google books, but they may also restrict access to non-USians.
And the public domain stuff still applies.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

fionaw wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 8:06 am narrating in German, which I am of course happy to do but I have slightly British accented German and I'm not sure if that would really be acceptable?
hallo fiona,

nur um das ausdrücklich zu beantworten:
wir sind ein hobbyprojekt und offen für jede leserin und jeden leser, "solange es für einen muttersprachler*in verständlich ist".
ich lese auch auf englisch, obwohl mein schulunterricht vor 25 jahren endete. und ich lese auf deutsch, obwohl ich als österreicher in der aussprache nicht mehr verständlich bin für manche deutschen.

--> das heisst, wenn du auch auf deutsch lesen möchtest: bitte schnapp dir einen beitrag in einem projekt, das dich interessiert! <--

lg
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
fionaw

Post by fionaw »

Herzlichen Dank für die Antworten! Ich werde auf auf jeden Fall auch nach deutschen Projekten suchen.

Liebe Grüße

Fiona
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Often there are scans on the PG books available on Archive - as a scan, which is not as readable as the etext but quite usable - so it may be worth checking if there is a group project you wish to join that uses a PG text

Anne