SOLO - Travels of Sir John Mandeville - ed. A. W. Pollard - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 28th, 2020, 7:07 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 6:36 pm
Well done with section 7. You've got the intro and the outro down now :thumbs:

Small PL note for this section:
4:19 - sounds to me like "and was born of a maiden and suffered poison and death" instead of "passion and death"

Have a listen and see what you think. :) If you agree, I would recommend fixing it -- but it that is how you mean to pronounce it because it is closer to an older way of saying the word, please just let me know
Kathrine -

Excellent catch. I really flubbed that up! Thank you. I went back and redid that section and uploaded a revised version of Chapter 7.

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 28th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Awesome! Section 7 is PL OK after spot-check
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 5th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Sections 9 and 10 are PL OK! Great job!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 5th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Section 11 is also PL OK! :clap:
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » June 5th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Kathrine -

Thank you so much! I'm finishing up the editing for section 12 and should have that ready this evening. (Been bogged down a bit by peripheral obligations.)

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Chapter 12 is PL OK as well! Great job! This is really compelling to listen to :thumbs:
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » June 17th, 2020, 5:29 pm

kathrinee wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Chapter 12 is PL OK as well! Great job! This is really compelling to listen to :thumbs:
Kathrine -

Thank you so much for PLing this too! I'm so sorry that I've fallen behind. I'll plan to have another chapter or two done by this weekend. :D

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 29th, 2020, 10:51 am

Great reading in chapter 13! I really like how you make it sound completely normal to switch into Latin every so often ;)

A small note for this chapter -- it is certainly ok to leave it the way it is, but I'm just pointing it out so you can decide yourself:
19:44 - I hear "And all these have many articles of faith..." -- should be "And all these have many articles of our faith..." (It is the penultimate sentence of the chapter)
I'll mark it PL note in the MW, but please let me know if you'd like to keep it the way it is, and I'll happily change it :D
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » June 29th, 2020, 6:26 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Chapter 1 is also PL OK! Great job!

A small PL note for chapter 2:
08:42 - Please delete the extra outro parts "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain." I really enjoy your recordings :thumbs:
Excellent catch, again! Thank you, Kathrine! I went ahead and corrected that section, reuploaded it to the MW and changed its status to "spot check". I'm planning to refocus my priorities this week and get back to this project. I've just been having so much fun with Librivox that I've been dipping into several different projects. But there's no reason for this one to languish as it has for the past couple of weeks. I'll be halfway through the text in just 3 more chapters.

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 29th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I'm glad you're having fun here, Daniel! And, honestly, it is completely ok to have solos take a while (mine, the few I have, normally take a year each...). I like the energy of participating in group projects in parallel with plodding along with my own "baby." So don't feel bad! This is supposed to be fun :D
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 30th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Section 13 is PL OK after spot-check. Seamless edit!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 7th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Section 14 is also PL OK! You're doing well :9:
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » July 11th, 2020, 10:54 pm

kathrinee wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:11 pm
Section 14 is also PL OK! You're doing well :9:
Thank you, Kathrine!

I just uploaded Chapter 15, which is interesting for a number of reasons (e.g. wildly inaccurate depictions of Islam, some accurate accounts of Qur'anic refernces, a theological debate with the Sultan, etc.).

Regarding this recording, at the end of this piece there are ellipses at a point in the text where I believe the manuscript may have originally had specimens of Arabic calligraphy inserted into the text. In the recording, I simply say "ellipsis". If you think that is distracting and I should remove it, I can do that fairly easily. It's also odd because at the end, there is a graphic representation of the Old English letters thorn and yogh, which he then repeats the names of after showing the actual letters, so it sounds a bit weird in the recording because it would almost be like saying "And this is the letter A, which we call A". :lol:

On an unrelated note, I wonder if the person who "translated" or originally wrote this travelogue was from Scotland or Northern England—instead of St Albans, like he says in the Intro. The way it's written, with all the compound negatives (ne-not-never-no) and reference to the use of a yogh and such, really gives it a Hebridean feel.

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 14th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Section 15 is PL OK! I thought you handled the challenges of the text well, ellipsis and all
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 20th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Section 16 is PL OK! Great job! You're almost halfway done with this whole book :clap:
Kathrine