COMPLETE[ANIMALS]The Living Animals of the World, Volume 2: Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians, Fishes, Molluscs, etc. -Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hertzm

Post by hertzm »

RitaBoutros wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:45 am
Very articulate reading! Please remove one second from the end though. We are not to exceed 5 seconds and you have 6. Thanks
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals2_34_various_128kb.mp3

Here is a new link to section 34. Its new duration is 6:59.92 :)
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Sec 34 is PL OK
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, everyone! Window updated.
Leni
=================
davydave

Post by davydave »

Here is Section 2, Game Birds and Rails- (35:54)-
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals2_2_various_128kb.mp3
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

PL Notes on Section 2:

You will need to rename your file as: livinganimals2_02_various_128kb. Please see the instructions on page one of this book's thread (under the Magic Window MW) for detailed information on specifications for this book. It is really necessary to check this for each book as each one is different.

Your volume at 88.3 is within the acceptable range, but the Volume Checker (see recording instructions) indicates that the recording failed because the rate is "variable" and should be "constant." Please refer to "Configure" instructions", then "Format." Here's the link: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3#Configure

Your intro will need to be fixed in order for it to conform with the specified instructions for this book. Again, please refer to the first page.

As to the text itself, I am going to return this file to you for editing, as it became obvious that it had not been edited. There are many repeats, pauses and jumps which became too numerous to list. Also, please delete the photo captions.

Please do not be daunted by all this. It does seem a lot at first, but it will become much easier as you use the program. Even I learned it :lol:
davydave

Post by davydave »

Hello Rita-
I'm not using Audacity to record the thing, was using Garageband, for that is the setup I commonly use. Audacity for the editing. Can you reiterate how for me to proceed again?
Dave
davydave

Post by davydave »

Any way someone could provide an instruction call, sometimes better absorbed over the phone how to work. [Phone number removed by admin]
Dave
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

davydave wrote: July 18th, 2020, 7:34 am Any way someone could provide an instruction call, sometimes better absorbed over the phone how to work. [Phone number removed by admin]
Dave
Dave, I took the liberty of removing your phone number so that your personal information cannot be harvested by bots on this public page. If there is need to share personal information like that, it's better to do it in PM. If someone is willing and able to help you by phone, they can PM you for this information, but understand that it may not happen.

Technical issues like this are the reason we recommend completing the 1-minute test before you begin to record for real. GarageBand in particular can be very tricky for our readers, as it doesn't seem to like being configured to Mono sound and the correct bit rate. Here is some info about what has worked for one reader, but it may no longer be accurate: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=GarageBand

And here are some previous forum discussions about it:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=80724
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73008
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72197

I hope this information helps you. While you're figuring it out, you may wish to post your attempts in Listeners and Editors Wanted, to be checked as we would check the 1-minute tests.

EDIT: I just noticed you said that you use GB only to record, but Audacity to edit. In that case, it should be fairly easy to export from Audacity in the correct format. This video may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JkCgKo3fU&t=72s
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks for the help, Devorah.
Leni
=================
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Hello again!

I quite enjoyed recording my contributions this one so far - think I might be able to claim the following short sections as well?

#31: Lump-Suckers, Gobies, Blennies, Barracudas, Grey Mullets, Sticklebacks And Their Allies, Garpike, and Flying-Fishes,
#32: The Wrasse-Like Fishes

Let me know - thanks very much!!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
davydave

Post by davydave »

Section 2, Re-edited and mixed down using Your guidelines between Garageband and Audacity. Hope this works, best I could muster up. Thanks, Dave
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals2_2_various_128kb.mp3
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Hello Dave
I started listening to your recording and realized that you must have sent me the former version and not the revised one. All the previous issues are still there, including the intro problems and photo captions, etc. I assume you've seen this, which I've copied from the first page:

Recording instructions:

"Section [number] of The Living Animals of the World, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"The Living Animals of the World, Volume 2. Book [number], Chapter [number], [Title of section] by [Name of author], [Part number, if applicable]"

All the information for the intro is in the window!

Please do not read the picture captions!

END of recording
At the end of the section, say:
"End of Section [number]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of The Living Animals of the World, Volume 2. "

Please send your revised file and we'll give this another shot. Rita
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

P.S. You still need to rename your file
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

OooThatsNifty wrote: July 19th, 2020, 4:10 pm Hello again!

I quite enjoyed recording my contributions this one so far - think I might be able to claim the following short sections as well?

#31: Lump-Suckers, Gobies, Blennies, Barracudas, Grey Mullets, Sticklebacks And Their Allies, Garpike, and Flying-Fishes,
#32: The Wrasse-Like Fishes

Let me know - thanks very much!!

Sure! Thanks much!
Leni
=================
davydave

Post by davydave »

Hello Rita-
I've been confused as to exactly what was required here, it was a bit vague.. but hopefully We're over the hurdle here and this is the new file
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/livinganimals2_02_various_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Dave