Complete [Essays] Essays on Art by Goethe-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

PL OK: 10, 11, 13, 29, 30, 33

Section 12 PL notes: The reading is beautiful, but the file is too loud at 92.1 dB (87-91 dB acceptable). Please de-amplify by -3.1 in Audacity and re-upload. Thanks!
schrm

Post by schrm »

Arden wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:05 pm hi wolfi,

I've finished my test and hope you like the results.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_arden.mp3

I'd like my catalogue name to be my forum name as it is.

cheers for the help!
hello arden,

good morning!

that was a fast answer :-D
thank you arden, i listened to it asap - and while it is just to test the tech-specs, i liked your recording very much! in fact, the soft, calm reading - that's the style of reading i do myself! i think, that's very nice to listen to!

there are some minor problems:
you have uploaded the 1 minute test correctly, but didn't post the link in our listeners wanted forum. this is no problem, we can do that here.

1. your 1 minute test text isn't the standard peter piper text. in the frst seconds of your recording, only, it is showing, that you have to keep an eye (or ear :-)) on plosives.
maybe a popfilter may help, or a little bit more distance to your mic. this could help with the next point, too.
2. the average volume of your file is too loud. we aim for 89db (with an acceptable range of +- 3db), your recording is 94,6db.
please amplify yourfile with the value -5,6 db and re-upload your testfile!
3. there is some background noise in the recording, maybe even rain? very easy to fix that!
4. your starting silence is to seconds, your ending silence 4. we aim for about half a second of silence at the start of your recording, and 5 seconds of silence at the end. you can cut and paste a second to the end and your recording is perfect! :-D

so, two things to do (2. and 3.), which are done within a minute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in case you are using audacity, here are short tutorials:

noise reduction
in audacity, please:
1. cut and paste (ctrl+x and ctrl+v) your first second of the recording to the end. now you have 5 seconds of ending silence. select the 5 seconds silence at the end of the file
2. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose noise reduction > choose get noise profile
3. select the whole track (eg with clicking into the little window at the left of the audio track, showing some stats and data / or with ctrl+a / manual selection)
4. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose "repeat noise reduction" (or open it again and hit ok, this time)
since the noisereduction has an influence on the metered volume of the file, please do it first or doublecheck: the average volume should be from 86db to 92db.

volume-metering
your file has 94,6 db. we aim for 89db, with a range of +/- 3db. unfortunately, audacity has no tool to meter the average volume of your file. i suggest using
--> checker (a technical analysis tool, which was made for lv specifically).
calculate the difference between 89-(checker metered volume)= the value, you have to amplify your file.
--> ReplayGain is a plugin for audacity, which calculates the difference between 89db and your files volume. so it gives you the correct value to enter into the amplify effect.

amplify
--> to amplify in audacity, please:
in the menue bar, choose effects > choose amplify > in the amplify window, enter the value you calculated (see above), hit ok - and it is done!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--> please edit your testfile and upload it again, posting the link here. when doing so, your recording will be perfectly ok regarding our tech specs :-) <--

your reader page is here:
https://librivox.org/reader/14643

in case, you want to alter the name, or add a link, please post a short message in our help forums. a mc will help you :-)

:-D thank you arden, i'm looking forward to your testrecording!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

many thx cadastra!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Arden

Post by Arden »

schrm wrote: July 11th, 2020, 8:48 pm
Arden wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:05 pm hi wolfi,

I've finished my test and hope you like the results.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_arden.mp3

I'd like my catalogue name to be my forum name as it is.

cheers for the help!
hello arden,

good morning!

that was a fast answer :-D
thank you arden, i listened to it asap - and while it is just to test the tech-specs, i liked your recording very much! in fact, the soft, calm reading - that's the style of reading i do myself! i think, that's very nice to listen to!

there are some minor problems:
you have uploaded the 1 minute test correctly, but didn't post the link in our listeners wanted forum. this is no problem, we can do that here.

1. your 1 minute test text isn't the standard peter piper text. in the frst seconds of your recording, only, it is showing, that you have to keep an eye (or ear :-)) on plosives.
maybe a popfilter may help, or a little bit more distance to your mic. this could help with the next point, too.
2. the average volume of your file is too loud. we aim for 89db (with an acceptable range of +- 3db), your recording is 94,6db.
please amplify yourfile with the value -5,6 db and re-upload your testfile!
3. there is some background noise in the recording, maybe even rain? very easy to fix that!
4. your starting silence is to seconds, your ending silence 4. we aim for about half a second of silence at the start of your recording, and 5 seconds of silence at the end. you can cut and paste a second to the end and your recording is perfect! :-D

so, two things to do (2. and 3.), which are done within a minute.

in case you are using audacity, here are short tutorials:

noise reduction
in audacity, please:
1. cut and paste (ctrl+x and ctrl+v) your first second of the recording to the end. now you have 5 seconds of ending silence. select the 5 seconds silence at the end of the file
2. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose noise reduction > choose get noise profile
3. select the whole track (eg with clicking into the little window at the left of the audio track, showing some stats and data / or with ctrl+a / manual selection)
4. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose "repeat noise reduction" (or open it again and hit ok, this time)
since the noisereduction has an influence on the metered volume of the file, please do it first or doublecheck: the average volume should be from 86db to 92db.

volume-metering
your file has 94,6 db. we aim for 89db, with a range of +/- 3db. unfortunately, audacity has no tool to meter the average volume of your file. i suggest using
--> checker (a technical analysis tool, which was made for lv specifically).
calculate the difference between 89-(checker metered volume)= the value, you have to amplify your file.
--> ReplayGain is a plugin for audacity, which calculates the difference between 89db and your files volume. so it gives you the correct value to enter into the amplify effect.

amplify
--> to amplify in audacity, please:
in the menue bar, choose effects > choose amplify > in the amplify window, enter the value you calculated (see above), hit ok - and it is done!

--> please edit your testfile and upload it again, posting the link here. when doing so, your recording will be perfectly ok regarding our tech specs :-) <--

your reader page is here:
https://librivox.org/reader/14643

in case, you want to alter the name, or add a link, please post a short message in our help forums. a mc will help you :-)

:-D thank you arden, i'm looking forward to your testrecording!

cheers,
Hi wolfi,

Quickly edited the test to 88 dB. As for noise, I have a hearing aid sent in at the moment and can't tell if my reduction was sufficient. I adjusted it a good deal and it seems alright.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/testedited_arden.mp3

Thanks for your help. I'm excited to get started here.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Arden wrote: July 12th, 2020, 11:15 am
Hi wolfi,

Quickly edited the test to 88 dB. As for noise, I have a hearing aid sent in at the moment and can't tell if my reduction was sufficient. I adjusted it a good deal and it seems alright.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/testedited_arden.mp3

Thanks for your help. I'm excited to get started here.
hi arden,

your test is pl ok!
:clap:

you are ready to start recording your claimed sections!
i wish you all the fun you can have and many many contributions!
:-D

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
hertzm

Post by hertzm »

can i have section 32 please? :) thanks
schrm

Post by schrm »

hertzm wrote: July 12th, 2020, 4:31 pm can i have section 32 please? :) thanks
hello hertzm,

welcome to goethe on art - 32 is yours!
thank you for your claim!

:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

for the records: smeats didn't read the pm nor replied in this thread - section 24 is free to claim again!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

hi!!!
I could claim sections 44 to 50 if they're up for grabs!
Thanks
-SS
schrm

Post by schrm »

shreyasethi wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:37 pm hi!!!
I could claim sections 44 to 50 if they're up for grabs!
Thanks
-SS
that's the chapter Dilettantism - is yours!
thank you for your claims, shreya!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Hi!!!
Here are the Sections 44 and 45, I'll be covering the rest soon so I'll upload it in parts.
Section 44- (8:02 ) https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/essaysonart_44_goethe_128kb.mp3
Section 45- (6:00 ) https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/essaysonart_45_goethe_128kb.mp3

Thanks
-SS
schrm

Post by schrm »

shreyasethi wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:40 am Hi!!!
Here are the Sections 44 and 45, I'll be covering the rest soon so I'll upload it in parts.
Section 44- (8:02 ) https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/essaysonart_44_goethe_128kb.mp3
Section 45- (6:00 ) https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/essaysonart_45_goethe_128kb.mp3

Thanks
-SS
heyho,

thank you so much shreya :)
data is entered already!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
schrm

Post by schrm »

alanmapstone wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 9:04 am Section 54 - Uncle

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/essaysonart_54_goethe.mp3
heyho,

thank you so much alan - the data for the uncle is in the mw!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mcam2094

Post by mcam2094 »

Hi, may I read section 19?