COMPLETE - SOLO A Book of Sibyls: Mrs. Barbaud, Miss Edgeworth, Miss Opie, Miss Austen - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yeah, it's hard to say. Looking on it as a (ahem) mature woman, I think it might have been an reasonable choice. But when I was young, I would have been packing my bags for Sweden.

Mon Dieu! I had to read some French for this next section. I did take French all through junior high and high school, but since I graduated in 1974, I think the statute of limitations has long since run out on that one. My apologies if you know what it should really sound like. Section 16 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh my goodness! I have zero training in French, and completely destroy it when I try to read it!! :lol:

Section 16 is PL OK :thumbs:

Interesting bit about the blockade at the end.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

LCaulkins wrote: July 14th, 2020, 6:35 am
Interesting bit about the blockade at the end.
I thought so too. I have been reading several things set in this time period recently, and it is very interesting to see how they all connect.

Section 17 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 17 is PL OK :thumbs:

:)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks! Section 18 is up. Quite a short passage - which suits me, because, try as I did to track them down, many of the author's references eluded me.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 18 is PL OK :thumbs:

I didn't know Maria Edgeworth had so many works! We don't have a whole lot in LibriVox yet? Looks like most of what Gutenberg has is in volumes of collections, so that could be part of why we don't have more?
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I know! I toy with the idea of recording one, but they aren't really what I like to do.
In this next section (19) , which is now up in the MW, there is an anecdote about Miss Edgeworth saying something to a little girl about her brother in law. I DO NOT GET IT. If you get it, could you explain it to me? :lol:

And now, I am also tacking on section 20, to which I say good riddance. Between background noise and all the damned French, I wrangled with this one. :evil:
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 21 is up! :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Ciufi!

Section 19 is PL OK :thumbs:

And, I'm afraid I can't unravel that brother-in-law tale, either! I guess you had to be there . . . in the author's mind. :lol:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Just tossed section 22 into the MW - a section without French!! :D

That's the last of Miss Edgeworth's bio - on to Miss Opie. Is it too much to hope that she lives in Mayberry?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Haha!! That would be too fun!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

20 and 21 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm about to start 22, as well, but - My goodness! The name-dropping Maria Edgeworth could do! Now we add Elizabeth Fry. :!:
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Also, I just finished reading "Belinda" - quite enjoyed it.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And 22 is PL OK :thumbs:

:)
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! Section 23 is up!
I think this section can be condensed as, "Mrs Opie must have been a really lovely person to have become so famous, because she wasn't a very good writer." :lol: