COMPLETE - [BIOGRAPHY] The Life of Charles G. Finney by A.M. Hills - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Life of Charles G. Finney by A.M. Hills (1848 - 1935).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-charles-g-finney-by-aaron-merritt-hills/
A.M. Hills, theologian and preacher in the Wesleyan holiness tradition, gives us a detailed biography of Charles G. Finney, one of the most influential revivalists of the nineteenth century. Charles G. Finney was a key figure in initiating the Second Great Awakening in the United States. His preaching was passionate and powerful and his very presence would often bring conviction on those around him. Although his background was Baptist and Presbyterian, he vigorously promoted the doctrine of entire sanctification and the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Finney also left his mark on education as president of Oberlin College in Ohio. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lifeofcharlesgfi00hill/page/n6
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: Jesus, theology, evangelism, preaching, holiness, revival, sanctification, christianity, great awakening, oberlin

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Charles G. Finney. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Life of Charles G. Finney, by A.M. Hills. [Chapter Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number] "
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Life of Charles G. Finney, by A.M. Hills. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      finney_##_hills_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. finney_01_hills_128kb.mp3)
    9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on April 19th, 2021, 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I will be DPL for this book.
~ Larry
linny

Post by linny »

Larry,
I can MC this for you.

MW is up and your all set. Let me know if you find I missed something. Enjoy the project. :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

linny wrote: June 30th, 2020, 4:32 am Larry,
I can MC this for you.

MW is up and your all set. Let me know if you find I missed something. Enjoy the project. :D
Thanks, Linny! Much appreciated.

MW populated and we are READY FOR READERS.
~ Larry
linny

Post by linny »

Heading over to Readers Wanted.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Getting us started with the preface:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/finney_00_hills_128kb.mp3 2:53
~ Larry
linny

Post by linny »

silverquill wrote: July 17th, 2020, 8:55 am Getting us started with the preface:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/finney_00_hills_128kb.mp3 2:53
Larry,
PL OK. Very nice start.
esamborski

Post by esamborski »

I will read section one. I am very familiar with recording and have all of the software and set up to meet all of the specs that were listed. This will be my first recording for librivox. If you need any sample recordings of mine I can give you a link to them if that helps you. Thanks in advance for starting this project! I am very familiar with A. M. Hills writings.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

esamborski wrote: August 31st, 2020, 6:27 pm I will read section one. I am very familiar with recording and have all of the software and set up to meet all of the specs that were listed. This will be my first recording for librivox. If you need any sample recordings of mine I can give you a link to them if that helps you. Thanks in advance for starting this project! I am very familiar with A. M. Hills writings.
Oh, this does sound good!
I suggest that you first look over our Newbie Guide to recording to familiarize yourself with how we do things here in LibriVox
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

You will see a section on completing a one-minute preliminary recording and how to post it.
This is more to check out the specifications we need for LV recordings and the uploading procedure.
When you have that completed, post back here and let me know how you would like to be listed in our Catalog. You can use your real name, a pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LibriVox work.

Meanwhile, I will save this section for you.

PS: You will find a lot of Christian works being recorded here!
I think this is the firs A.M. Hills, but I'd like to a lot more of his writing, and other holiness works.
~ Larry
esamborski

Post by esamborski »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82368

There is the link to my test! You can us my name Erik Samborski for the catalog! Let me know what is next! Thanks a lot! I have many holiness movement works that are in the public domain. I got them from Duane Maxey (Holiness Data Ministry). Duane has made these available through http://wesley.nnu.edu/holiness-classics-library/.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

esamborski wrote: September 1st, 2020, 9:07 am viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82368

There is the link to my test! You can us my name Erik Samborski for the catalog! Let me know what is next! Thanks a lot! I have many holiness movement works that are in the public domain. I got them from Duane Maxey (Holiness Data Ministry). Duane has made these available through http://wesley.nnu.edu/holiness-classics-library/.
Great!
I've left comments on you test there, but will repeat them here.

Excellent reading. Very clean.
The only issue that needs attention is the volume which is too loud, coming in at 92.5 dB
Our target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 89-92 dB.

In actual recordings we like a silence of about five seconds at the end.
At the beginning, nor more than 1 second, but usually at leas .5 - .75 is a good goal.

I will assign you Section 1 with pleasure!
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your LibriVox reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many.

I made a few contributions to Duane's collection from my library, some of the books going back to my grandfather's collection. I'm not sure if we can use him as a PD source since he modified some of them. I've not checked that out. But, many are available on Archive.com Anyway, looking for to collaboration with you!

NNU '69
~ Larry
esamborski

Post by esamborski »

I was able to get the test to be an output of 89db. Do you need me to upload again? If not I am ready to up load the first chapter!
esamborski

Post by esamborski »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/finney_01_hills_128kb.mp3

I have completed chapter 1. The length is 13:30:06. I previously posted an upload but have remixed it for better EQ. This is the remixed one.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

esamborski wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:30 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/finney_01_hills_128kb.mp3

I have completed chapter 1. The length is 13:30:06. I previously posted an upload but have remixed it for better EQ. This is the remixed one.
Great reading, Erik!
And, PL OK.

Feel free to record some more of this if you like.
I also have a project going of a short collection of sermons by Catherine Booth.
Really great holiness preaching!
You might enjoy recording one of those. Here is the link to the project thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81122

Briefly checked out your podcast, and will spend some more time with it. :D
~ Larry
esamborski

Post by esamborski »

Thank you!

I would like to record chapter 2. I may do a few of these a week. I decided that I would pick some books that I would like to read and study and kill 2 birds with one stone! I may very well read some of those Catherine Booth sermons.